Play offs

Rams forever

22 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Think it's the fairest way myself, as someone else suggested. If you can't turn up for the PO. Then when would you 

Nowt wrong with it for me Bob when it was 2 up 2 down... The " deserved" days. 

But im old n grumpy and don't like Sky very much and the way football bends over and takes it up the arris from them. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, StockholmRam said:

. Given that the season is played as a " league table" format I'd say it's entirely wrong to say if you have an off day you don't deserve a crack at promotion. We'll certainly not above a team that came 15 points behind you. 

There are enough " cup" competitions as it is. A league is just that...a league. But I'm all for fairness and actual best interests of the game. I'd just simply say that neither Derby or Wed deserve promotion or are ready for it. 

Its just a money making extra that quite often deals a cruel hand to some that are far more deserving. In this case Brighton.

Another cack edition to Sky " inventing" the game... 

Why do Hull deserve it, why are Hull ready for it neither of us are?

All 4 of the teams in the playoffs are ready for it. Deserving it is a different matter.

By your measure, only Brighton deserve it. By my measure, all 4 deserve it. All 4 have been good and entertaining all season and I'd be comfortable with any one going up.

3 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

. Given that the season is played as a " league table" format I'd say it's entirely wrong to say if you have an off day you don't deserve a crack at promotion. We'll certainly not above a team that came 15 points behind you. 

There are enough " cup" competitions as it is. A league is just that...a league. But I'm all for fairness and actual best interests of the game. I'd just simply say that neither Derby or Wed deserve promotion or are ready for it. 

Its just a money making extra that quite often deals a cruel hand to some that are far more deserving. In this case Brighton.

Another cack edition to Sky " inventing" the game... 

Not sure Sky existed when the play offs were introduced, 30yrs ago next yr iirc and there was a team from division above playing. We went up as division 2 champs and Oldham were the first unlucky 3rd place team as they missed out!

I'm glad the playoffs exit. If they didn't, 75% of the league would have nothing to play for as soon as we hit March.

I think the way the playoffs are now is pretty fair. I mean, no away goals is great as it then eliminates the chance of boring matches. And if it's a draw, an extra 30 minutes is played at the home of the team which finishes 3rd or 4th.

In Mexico they had an intersting concept in their playoffs (top 8 qualify). So 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th etc.

Basically, if the aggregate scores were level after the two legs, then whoever finished higher in the league progresses. Meant those qualifying in 8th, 7th, 6th etc. had to win over the two legs.

This got scrapped a year or so ago though as teams just played for draws which made games tedious. Now it's an away goals rule, though if the scores are mathed over the two legs, the higher team progresses (say both games finish 1-1, or 2-1, or 0-0 etc.)

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Why do Hull deserve it, why are Hull ready for it neither of us are?

All 4 of the teams in the playoffs are ready for it. Deserving it is a different matter.

By your measure, only Brighton deserve it. By my measure, all 4 deserve it. All 4 have been good and entertaining all season and I'd be comfortable with any one going up.

Well to be perfectly honest with you I think only Burnley and Boro deserve it. I'm just for the old format. Each to their own. 

I dislike the damn things hugely. I doubt I'm going to change that opinion now after all these years. It makes a mockery of what a " league" is or was. There's not many modern changes to the sport I like. 

Again, personal opinion. I think Derby and Wednesday wouldn't stand a prayer up there right now. We,d need to buy about 11 new players!! Teams that get promoted and enjoy stability straight after usually have a nucleus of players that could hold their own up there. No need for anyone to jump down my throat or come back with a " ha ha ha ha..you were wrong" post. 

No one would be happier than me if we can someday soon have a good run at staying in the prem. Id be delighted not just for me but all the supporters too. I just don't see it with this squad or DW. 

I hope you are suitably entertained on Sat and Tues Saint. Me, I'll be watching through my fingers as per usual.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I'm glad the playoffs exit. If they didn't, 75% of the league would have nothing to play for as soon as we hit March.

It's pretty much that now anyway, realistically if not mathematically.

Anyway, how about this, if excitement is what you're after:

Top 3 get promoted.

5th plays 6th (at 5th)

Winner plays 4th (at 4th)

Winner plays 17th placed Prem side at Wembley for the 4th Prem place up for grabs. Gate receipts go to the loser, who plays in the Champ.

It would be fairer to the top Champ sides & would keep some excitement going in both the Prem & Champ beyond the end of the season.

I'm sure the Premier League would just hate it but SKY could probably convince them with a brown envelope.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Top 3 get promoted.

5th plays 6th (at 5th)

Winner plays 17th placed Prem side at Wembley for the 4th Prem place up for grabs. Gate receipts go to the loser, who plays in the Champ.

It would be fairer to the top Champ sides & would keep some excitement going in both the Prem & Champ beyond the end of the season.

I'm sure the Premier League would just hate it but SKY could probably convince them with a brown envelope.

I disagree with the FA Cup semi-finals being at Wembley because to play there you should have to earn it. Getting to a semi-final is not yet earning it. Getting to a final is. Playing a relegation/promotion play-off with 17th v a Championship team would be giving a team the chance to win at Wembley because they've had a bad season. Wouldn't seem right to me.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Top 3 get promoted.

5th plays 6th (at 5th)

Why not 4th just plays 17th? 

23 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Nowt wrong with it for me Bob when it was 2 up 2 down... The " deserved" days. 

But im old n grumpy and don't like Sky very much and the way football bends over and takes it up the arris from them. 

I like the idea of a relegation playoff as well to be honest. 3rd placed champ side against 4th bottom Prem side. Champ side have home advantage over 1 leg.

Cascade through divisions 

Just now, Kernow said:

I disagree with the FA Cup semi-finals being at Wembley because to play there you should have to earn it. Getting to a semi-final is not yet earning it. Getting to a final is. Playing a relegation/promotion play-off with 17th v a Championship team would be giving a team the chance to win at Wembley because they've had a bad season. Wouldn't seem right to me.

It would be giving the Championship a chance to send 4 teams into the prem. Who cares about a team getting the chance to play at Wembley?

11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I agree about the cup semis at Wembley but do you think any Premier League club would seriously think of that game as a good thing?, to gamble their Premiership status on one game?. Sounds like a punishment to me but a last chance of survival at the same time. Sort of Premier League meets Hunger Games.

Just now, SaintRam said:

It would be giving the Championship a chance to send 4 teams into the prem. Who cares about a team getting the chance to play at Wembley?

I don't think four promoted in to a league of 20 is necessary personally.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I agree about the cup semis at Wembley but do you think any Premier League club would seriously think of that game as a good thing?, to gamble their Premisership status on one game?. Sounds like a punishment to me but a last chance of survival at the same time. Sort of Premier League meets Hunger Games.

It would feel weird to go to Wembley to watch my team try and avoid relegation. I'd celebrate winning promotion at Wembley much more than I would avoiding relegation at Wembley.

16 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I like the idea of a relegation playoff as well to be honest. 3rd placed champ side against 4th bottom Prem side. Champ side have home advantage over 1 leg.

Cascade through divisions 

Wasn't it like that when they were first introduced? 

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I don't think four promoted in to a league of 20 is necessary personally.

Maybe and the Prem would never agree to it I'm sure but it would help to bridge the financial gap between divisions, if more clubs changed places.

6 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It would feel weird to go to Wembley to watch my team try and avoid relegation. I'd celebrate winning promotion at Wembley much more than I would avoiding relegation at Wembley.

It would certainly be weird but it would still be a celebration surely?. Maybe a personal thing.

Surely, if the Prem is involved, they would prefer no relegation and the option to relocate the franchise if the current area cannot support the team enough.  Alternatively , if they had to, they could hold the playoff final in the Far East so the new victorious Premiership team can begin to establish important revenue streams in other markets...

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

Surely, if the Prem is involved, they would prefer no relegation and the option to relocate the franchise if the current area cannot support the team enough.  Alternatively , if they had to, they could hold the playoff final in the Far East so the new victorious Premiership team can begin to establish important revenue streams in other markets...

Yup.

Archived