George Thorne

Kernow

It's good that he'll be back near the start of next season. Whatever league we're in, though, there should be no need to rush him back. If we go up I'd hope we sign a DM anyway. If we don't, Hanson is more than ready for a bit more playing time.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, YouRams said:

@davenportram it's not a lack of respect I could never do their job, but common sense over procedure for me. JR was screaming over to them as well as the Ipswich players you could see something was seriously wrong and they just looked so casual getting over to him. You see some foreign teams have little buggies it's something that should be introduced over here IMO. 

they are trained on how to do their jobs, they're on grass, not in football boots, carrying heavy equipment. Its common sense to not expect them to run.

Twice ACL, now double leg break... he is really after my injury-record. Once more ACL, tear achilles tendon and get half a dozen upper body bone breaks and he is close.

I'm still very much gutted about this,

Hughes to replace, no doubt. Next best option would be Baird and he really hasn't played lot.

2 hours ago, jimbobram said:

I think Johnson is the best option. He used to drop into that role even when he started further forward. Physically he can play that role, only down side is his passing.

Passing... Quite essential for that role don't you think Jimbob!! 

Its not a " downside"!! It's a requirement... And a range of passing to boot. 

11 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Twice ACL, now double leg break... he is really after my injury-record. Once more ACL, tear achilles tendon and get half a dozen upper body bone breaks and he is close.

I'm still very much gutted about this,

Hughes to replace, no doubt. Next best option would be Baird and he really hasn't played lot.

You don't rate Johnson in that position? I've always thought he has done a decent job there, can break up play and start off attacks.

1 hour ago, davenportram said:

I really have to post on this issue, footballers it would appear and also  football fans are blissfully unaware of the issues paramedics have.

They werent lazy yesterady they followed correct procedure

1) The physios went on when the referee stopped play, the paramedics with the first response bags also entered to pitch - obviously going slower for two very good reason - a) the bag is ******* heavy and b) if they run with a heavy bag they increase the risk to themselves of injury through not carrying it properly. This did not delay treatment to Thorne because the Physio was giving first response treatment. Notice none of the DCFC physios or staff were getting on the backs of the medics - probably because they understand the process more than fans

2) The stretcher people took the trolly and stretcher to a position level with Thorne - to make it the shortest possible distance to carry him off the pitch. They then un-clipped the stretcher and when requested by the medics treating Thorne carried it onto the pitch at a safe pace.  Again this did not effect the treatment to Thorne because the medics and Physios were in attendance and preparing Thorne for transfer to the stretcher. I don't know if anyone noticed but the stretcher was at the Physios side for about a minute before they started to actually put George on it.

In short the medics did nothing wrong an to call them lazy show a complete lack of respect and understanding for the job they do

Absolutely on the button...... When there's something general public don't understand. They complain.

Perfect post 

4 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

You don't rate Johnson in that position? I've always thought he has done a decent job there, can break up play and start off attacks.

He has a limited passing range and even eye for a pass. So, yes he can put the odd tackle in but we would lose so much. 

3 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Well, I rate him there about as much as Hendrick..

Too often out of position, too eager to tackle and therefore doesn't shield CB's, passing not even close to being good enough (especially if we try to play from back), first touch and turning towards attack when receiving ball from back four just shows he is not used to play there.

Johnson or Butters to replace Hughes higher though, no problems with that.

6 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Well, I rate him there about as much as Hendrick..

Too often out of position, too eager to tackle and therefore doesn't shield CB's, passing not even close to being good enough (especially if we try to play from back), first touch and turning towards attack when receiving ball from back four just shows he is not used to play there.

Johnson or Butters to replace Hughes higher though, no problems with that.

He used to always play there for Norwich in the Prem and for Leeds in the past, so he is pretty experienced in that position.

18 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

He used to always play there for Norwich in the Prem and for Leeds in the past, so he is pretty experienced in that position.

That's something we have to disagree. According to transfermarkt, he has played 44 times there in his career. Basicly one season. For a 29 year old player, I'd say he is not used to it.

Edit: That shows only 5 last season's. So one season as DM out five last season to be accurate.

4 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

That's something we have to disagree. According to transfermarkt, he has played 44 times there in his career. Basicly one season. For a 29 year old player, I'd say he is not used to it.

Transfermarkt can't know if someone is playing defensively in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1, just says central midfield.

Although I think hughes is a lot more effective in an advanced position, his performance in the holding role against Sheffield Wednesday assured me he is the next best option. He has the passing ability, the positional and tactical awareness for the position, and he is looking stronger physically now more than ever. He also does not shy away from a tackle. Butterfield can then come in alongside Bryson.

On a side note, I honestly think if I was managing Spurs and I wanted a ready made replacement for dembele in the next season or two , I'd make will my target. The thought of him , alli and Kane developing together in my eyes could be something special. 

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

Transfermarkt can't know if someone is playing defensively in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1, just says central midfield.

Might be so. But I think we don't have any better information about it either...

19 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

so you service your car regularly? Ain't gonna help you when a drunk driver crashes into you as you're minding your own business driving in lane legally and safely.

What I wouldn't do is go out for a completely unnecessary drive when the Drunk Drivers' Association has organized a rally on the roads in my neighbourhood.

I did say before we should have put a weak side out ,,,yes player can get injured any time , every game is a gamble so why take the gamble on a game that means zip? And yes George could have got injured 20 mins in against hull so why not use Ipswich game to trial a poss replacement for that scenario? Not a hindsight post it's just that there are two players in the side ( style of play) that we really don't have an obvious like for like replacement ,,, Thorne and Martin ,,,,, those two at min should have been rested and bench players given a run / trial ,, not totally blaming wass ,, Harry ,Mel and other coaches must have had an input ,,,, bloody daft ,,, but it's done now we have to be positive and get on with it

Game didn't mean 'zip'. Whatever anybody says finishing fourth would mean we had a little bit of an advantage going into the play offs.  It only means zip in hindsight  once Hull won... But when Hull were 1-0 down, we would've had a chance. 

Sith Happens
3 hours ago, davenportram said:

I really have to post on this issue, footballers it would appear and also  football fans are blissfully unaware of the issues paramedics have.

They werent lazy yesterady they followed correct procedure

1) The physios went on when the referee stopped play, the paramedics with the first response bags also entered to pitch - obviously going slower for two very good reason - a) the bag is ******* heavy and b) if they run with a heavy bag they increase the risk to themselves of injury through not carrying it properly. This did not delay treatment to Thorne because the Physio was giving first response treatment. Notice none of the DCFC physios or staff were getting on the backs of the medics - probably because they understand the process more than fans

2) The stretcher people took the trolly and stretcher to a position level with Thorne - to make it the shortest possible distance to carry him off the pitch. They then un-clipped the stretcher and when requested by the medics treating Thorne carried it onto the pitch at a safe pace.  Again this did not effect the treatment to Thorne because the medics and Physios were in attendance and preparing Thorne for transfer to the stretcher. I don't know if anyone noticed but the stretcher was at the Physios side for about a minute before they started to actually put George on it.

In short the medics did nothing wrong an to call them lazy show a complete lack of respect and understanding for the job they do

i am sure you are right, it just seems frustrating to the fans, and yes we are un-educated in these matters so its good to get a different perspective on it, in fairness however it could have been worse:

2 hours ago, LesterRam said:

What's the psychological damage though, two lengthy spells out will not be easy to return from.

He's already done it twice. Third time will be a breeze - he could do it standing on one leg.

Risk reward don't tally in my eyes, so yes zip in my view ,, if we won ,hull lost ,we got home advantage last but lost George would still the same , if all above happened and we did not lose a key player I would still be saying it's not a risk I would have taken before hand ,as I already posted ,, have not come out the woodwork with a hi sight post ,, thought it was plain daft and posted my view before the game 

Archived