Help me please my missus

Day

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Get on a plane somewhere! 

When I was a kid my folks took me to Iceland. For a day! 

Pretty memorable though. Spent hours in the Blue Lagoon. 

Edited

(mistaken for the blue oyster)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1 May 2016 at 10:16, David said:

Her birthday in June, thinking of taking her away, somewhere nice, only a couple days, not too romantic as I'm not into all that. 

Looking for suggestions, must not need a passport, not a city, looking at somewhere kinda remote, few little shops, restaurants that kinda thing and a crap 3G connection 

Lake District. 

Aye aye aye, I'm thankful and was checking out all the suggestions that were posted. Robin Hood Bay looked really nice, looked at a hotel right next to the sea, just a bit hilly and the missus would be knackered.

Few Lake District suggestions but it's a big area to be looking at, kinda wanted a village/town to be looking at

26 minutes ago, David said:

Aye aye aye, I'm thankful and was checking out all the suggestions that were posted. Robin Hood Bay looked really nice, looked at a hotel right next to the sea, just a bit hilly and the missus would be knackered.

Few Lake District suggestions but it's a big area to be looking at, kinda wanted a village/town to be looking at

You've got a dog, walking and dogs go together, hills my arse.

I've stayed at Rudding Park a few times David - even though it's local to me we used to have work events there.  It's a good hotel, smart without being too stuffy and good food.  There are more recently built extensions as well as the original house, probably with different styles of room - I've only stayed in the original house.

It's about two miles outside Harrogate itself down a long drive and nothing much immediately around it so you'll need to drive/cab if you intend to go into the town or if you want to go further afield - York - cathedral and races if they're on or castle and other attractions - is about an hour away (the Yorvik Viking museum is still shut after the flooding), Ripon is about 30 minutes with cathedral and a small centre with cafes, and Ilkley about 45 minutes. Skipton - castle and town - is about an hour in the opposite direction from York. There's Knaresborough too which is about 20 minutes - small country town with cafes in the centre and Old Mother Shipton's Cave plus walks along the river Nidd and boating on it too - good if the weather's OK.

Harrogate has shopping and a direct railway line into Leeds.  It also has plenty of restaurants if you want to eat out - because there is a big conference centre there are plenty of hotels and restaurants to cater for the delegates. It might be worth checking if there is a conference on when you are going as sometimes they have public exhibitions that might be interesting. Bettys is the well known upmarket cafe in the town centre (they wouldn't describe it as that!) but often has queues.  You can also go to the Bettys in Ilkley which is the same food and service. There's a fair few villages around with pubs and food. The hotel itself is surrounded by a golf course if you like that, and while she's at the spa, or there are plenty of walks/footpaths in the area. Leeds is a city I enjoy going into - plenty of bars and restaurants and all the shops you can want (or not, in my case).  The railway station is right in the centre.  But whatever you do, don't drive into Leeds - the one way system still has people going round it from the day it was opened.

Not sure what you are looking to do but hope that helps.  

Archived