9 players in 'The 100 Club'

admira

3 minutes ago, igorlegend said:

Christie was. .. .. We tried to sign him in the last summer of Cloughs stewardship.

g1406063129526236098.jpg

Sigh. Why can't people just let me have my fun :( - oh well, back to work. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Christie was almost signed sealed and delivered before NC left but joined in the summer at the end of the season? Why didn't he join in January then?

And why would doubt of any potential perm fee stand in the way of Thorne joining us if NC had identified him? He joined on loan in January (4 months after Clough left) ok, and there was no mention of Derby interest when he joined Watford on loan in November.

And it isn't subjective opinion, Clough simply isn't as good as McClaren. He doesn't have a 22% win record having spent £70m because he'll never be given the opportunity to manage at that level ;)

Thorne was identified but "we" (meaning NC and his staff) weren't sure of his fitness - and weren't sure he was as good as he turned out to be. They thought he was a potential gem but weren't sure A) they could afford him or B) that he'd stay fit or C) that west brom would let him go either way.

Bearing in mind at that point there was no sign that a 3.5m fee would be available to him to spend.

Christie, they couldn't fit him into the budget in January and right back wasn't a priority.

And as for the win % and never getting the chance.

What about McClarens 23% win record at championship level with forest, the same level Clough managed at. 

40 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Bite away.

So much better that he's on the managerial scrap heap after losing the plot again, This time spending 70m quid to never be out of the bottom 4.

So much better that he spent two season unable to sign a player any better than the ones he was left with.

He inherited a side good enough and he ruined them, totally lost the respect of the squad and HE'S the one you'll defend to the hilt.

Anyone would think you're responding that way deliberately just cos it's me and my views?

Blimey, even the next 3 on the list Shackell, Christie and Thorne were all either signed or lined up by clueless negative Clough.

Those two seasons he was here was more fun than any of the Clough season. And he did it using "Nigel's players"

Why was that? Why didn't Nigel do that? 

I know you were to busy making it about Nigel v McClaren to enjoy the trips away destroying teams, the home goal fests, including a trip to Wembley, battering a play off opponent and our rivals. 

While we was doing that I wasn't thinking about who signed the players. And neither were all the returning fans that trebled our away support at some dumps.I was having fun. For the first time in about 7 years.

To me it doesn't matter who was going to sign Cyrus. Wenger was going to sign Payet. Makes no difference. What makes a difference is actually enjoying going to football. 

Perhaps it's not a great idea either to talk about life after Derby just yet...

Clough made me stop going away, then at home, then altogether. Still haven't gone back regularly. He killed it for me.

11 away wins in 100 odd trips was it? 

Crawley away? Good God. He might be doing alright now, but nobody can convince me he was better than McClaren with the same players.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Those two seasons he was here was more fun than any of the Clough season. And he did it using "Nigel's players"

Why was that? Why didn't Nigel do that? 

I know you were to busy making it about Nigel v McClaren to enjoy the trips away destroying teams, the home goal fests, including a trip to Wembley, battering a play off opponent and our rivals. 

While we was doing that I wasn't thinking about who signed the players. And neither were all the returning fans that trebled our away support at some dumps.I was having fun. For the first time in about 7 years.

To me it doesn't matter who was going to sign Cyrus. Wenger was going to sign Payet. Makes no difference. What makes a difference is actually enjoying going to football. 

Perhaps it's not a great idea either to talk about life after Derby just yet...

Unless you're prepared to acknowledge that the season he got the sack was the first season he had a top 6 squad then I don't know how to respond. The core of the side came in permanently that summer.

Of course you and everyone else enjoyed the McClaren first season more than any other, Derby were winning games and smashing teams all over the park regularly.  I enjoyed the first season as well, it was brilliant to watch I just didn't but into the McClaren has done it all.

As for it being too early to be talking about life after Derby, we've got different views there as well. Even if they lose their last two games and get beat in the play offs, I'd still say that was a decent effort by Burton,  even though at the same time I'd be gutted for him, for their Chairman and fans. I said at the time he got appointed that automatic might be a step too far but that it would be failure if he missed out on the play offs.

I gave up on NC being the next Alex Ferguson ages ago, I gave up on him becoming the next England manager years ago. I don't think he has the single minded determination or even desire to sacrifice his life in the way he'd need to. Whether he has the talent or not, I'm not a good enough judge to know. It seems not, but then in periods of games at all three clubs he's got record wins, record clean sheets etc.

I've never said he's a genius. I've never said he's the best manager the game has ever seen.

I've just tried to add balance to those who STILL call him a negative,racist, losing duck egg. No need. life after Derby and all that.

2 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Unless you're prepared to acknowledge that the season he got the sack was the first season he had a top 6 squad then I don't know how to respond. The core of the side came in permanently that summer.

Of course you and everyone else enjoyed the McClaren first season more than any other, Derby were winning games and smashing teams all over the park regularly.  I enjoyed the first season as well, it was brilliant to watch I just didn't but into the McClaren has done it all.

As for it being too early to be talking about life after Derby, we've got different views there as well. Even if they lose their last two games and get beat in the play offs, I'd still say that was a decent effort by Burton,  even though at the same time I'd be gutted for him, for their Chairman and fans. I said at the time he got appointed that automatic might be a step too far but that it would be failure if he missed out on the play offs.

I gave up on NC being the next Alex Ferguson ages ago, I gave up on him becoming the next England manager years ago. I don't think he has the single minded determination or even desire to sacrifice his life in the way he'd need to. Whether he has the talent or not, I'm not a good enough judge to know. It seems not, but then in periods of games at all three clubs he's got record wins, record clean sheets etc.

I've never said he's a genius. I've never said he's the best manager the game has ever seen.

I've just tried to add balance to those who STILL call him a negative,racist, losing duck egg. No need. life after Derby and all that.

I didn't see anyone say anything against Nigel? If they did then of course you're entitled to defend him.

But why attack a bloke who did excellent for us. Changed our dreams. Enthused us again. Bought Cyrus Christie. 

Better to say Nigel had to clean up a mess of a club and the massive turnover of players with no spending shows how much of a balancing act it was. That he breathed life into a dying academy and left the foundations for someone to build on.

Then only a 'hater' for want of a better word could not accept that. 

He left some quality here. But head to head it's a no contest when it comes down to what we all really care about. Saturday 3pm - 4-50pm

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I didn't see anyone say anything against Nigel? If they did then of course you're entitled to defend him.

But why attack a bloke who did excellent for us. Changed our dreams. Enthused us again. Bought Cyrus Christie. 

Better to say Nigel had to clean up a mess of a club and the massive turnover of players with no spending shows how much of a balancing act it was. That he breathed life into a dying academy and left the foundations for someone to build on.

He left some quality here. But head to head it's a no contest when it comes down to what we all really care about. Saturday 3pm - 4-50pm

Bet Newcastle fans might beg to differ

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Because as much as he did well, when the wheels fell off he ruined you, he temporarily ruined the team spirit built up at the club and at that point he twice blew the best opportunity Derby had to get promoted.

I didn't like the way he got the job, I didn't like the way suddenly the landscape changed and the budget went through the roof, I didn't like the way he wasted money on players like Shotton, Best, Albentosa and the 34 year old left back from Accrington, yet never got questioned. I didn't like the fact he kept trying to replace Bucko and Ward - two of my favourite players.

He also robbed me of my dream of seeing a Clough do something special at the club, but that was my personal dream. I hope you understand why I had that dream.

When it comes to McClaren, I'm aware I'm a hypocrite. I disliked a lot of things he did, even having a cup of coffee during the game p'd me off.

I think he's a bumbling buffoon and to be fair (this is arrogant as well) my views on him at Derby and at Newcastle were eventually proven to be correct. Good coach, can't manage a group of players for toffee. Bottles it under pressure. Ginger AND bald, a shocking combination I could never get behind. A slightly better version of Gary Megson.

55 minutes ago, igorlegend said:

Christie was. .. .. We tried to sign him in the last summer of Cloughs stewardship.

And we failed, says a lot that he would rather spend a season in League 1 than sign for Clough.

4 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Because as much as he did well, when the wheels fell off he ruined you, he temporarily ruined the team spirit built up at the club and at that point he twice blew the best opportunity Derby had to get promoted.

I didn't like the way he got the job, I didn't like the way suddenly the landscape changed and the budget went through the roof, I didn't like the way he wasted money on players like Shotton, Best, Albentosa and the 34 year old left back from Accrington, yet never got questioned. I didn't like the fact he kept trying to replace Bucko and Ward - two of my favourite players.

He also robbed me of my dream of seeing a Clough do something special at the club, but that was my personal dream. I hope you understand why I had that dream.

When it comes to McClaren, I'm aware I'm a hypocrite. I disliked a lot of things he did, even having a cup of coffee during the game p'd me off.

I think he's a bumbling buffoon and to be fair (this is arrogant as well) my views on him at Derby and at Newcastle were eventually proven to be correct. Good coach, can't manage a group of players for toffee. Bottles it under pressure. Ginger AND bald, a shocking combination I could never get behind. A slightly better version of Gary Megson.

He blew opportunities he created. For years before that we hadn't had a season where we won more than we lost. 

The way he got the job? He accepted it. He didn't sack Clough

Shall we list Nigel's poor signings? It happens. 

We almost all had that same dream. And slowly but surely people were giving up on it.

Whatever he did or does elsewhere is irrelevant to what he took on, delivered and left behind at Derby. Chris Martin was not a near on legendary striker. He'll leave here a modern legend and will be remembered fondly. 

Success is a relative term. Like I said, talking about life after Derby is perhaps not a good idea just yet

1 minute ago, rynny said:

And we failed, says a lot that he would rather spend a season in League 1 than sign for Clough.

I'll tag you and quote you @rynny, just in case. it's that kind of post that makes me think you're not rational at all, you've clearly got a negative agenda, maybe you'll tell me to wind my neck in and that it's a joke? Christie didn't come cos we signed other players and couldn't afford him. It was decided we'd go back for him later.

There wasn't the budget available, the same as NC had to beg to get enough money to sign Tom bloody Naylor.

There's been enough talk of the fact that maybe Mel reads this forum (maybe Sam as well) if I'm saying anything that's wrong, then they'll possibly pop up in a post and tell me you and anyone else that I'm making it up.

18 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Bits in bold in order;

Things like that are what make people even more opposed to your comments. If it was red dawn or any other away fan spouting some of the nonsense you do they would be warned probably banned as they would be seen as wums.

Yet all of those cost less than Sammon?

Wasn't McClaren's fault he got sacked.

14 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

@ronnieronalde it's  good to see you back on here. It has added some spice. 

However, I would like a copy of this book. Any idea when it will be published? 

No idea, hopefully soon. @Wolfie20 as well, I saw your question so will include you.

It's embarrassing and frustrating. I've paid for services I haven't received which has stalled the project.

I've rightfully taken a bit of stick for staying quiet on it (but a little too much stick from those who didn't donate but are so angry with me for staying quiet?)

If you're one of the funders I'm happy to give cash back while you wait and apologies for not keeping you and the other 10 -12 DCFC fans donor's updated.

Archived