Martin for 20

Leicester Ram

Hit me the other day that he has 3 games to score 5 goals if he wants to match Bobby Davison's record of scoring 20 goals for Derby in 3 consecutive seasons.

A man with his own gravitational pull, whether it be the ball or a pint, he's surely the best striker we've had at the club in years but he looks set to miss out on hitting 20 this term. Wednesday, Brighton and Ipswich will be tough games and he might even be rested for some of them if Wassall has one eye on preserving him for the play-off's.

However, it's not unrealistic we'll get a few penalties in the last few games and he does like to score against Ipswich, so there is hope for our wardrobe shaped hero. I think if he can get a goal against Wednesday and gather some momentum then he's in with a shout. I'd trade him scoring a winner at Wembley for the record, BUT WHY NOT DO BOTH?

Can he do it or has he missed out on his chance?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Hit me the other day that he has 3 games to score 5 goals if he wants to match Bobby Davison's record of scoring 20 goals for Derby in 3 consecutive seasons.

A man with his own gravitational pull, whether it be the ball or a pint, he's surely the best striker we've had at the club in years but he looks set to miss out on hitting 20 this term. Wednesday, Brighton and Ipswich will be tough games and he might even be rested for some of them if Wassall has one eye on preserving him for the play-off's.

However, it's not unrealistic we'll get a few penalties in the last few games and he does like to score against Ipswich, so there is hope for our wardrobe shaped hero. I think if he can get a goal against Wednesday and gather some momentum then he's in with a shout. I'd trade him scoring a winner at Wembley for the record, BUT WHY NOT DO BOTH?

Can he do it or has he missed out on his chance?

Have we missed out on the play offs again? Sack the board :angry:

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

If that's the case, he only scored 18 in the league last year, so no, he can't match Bobby!

We weren't in the play-offs last year. I'm assuming it's including cup games? But if not, yeah he can't match the record.

9 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Got over 20 goals last year when including cup games. Heard the stat on RD (I believe), just relaying that info.

Bobby Davison only got 20 league goals in one season for us, so they must be counting cup games.

Martin has no goals in the cups this season, 15 in the league.

Last season Martin had 18 league goals, 2 in the league cup, 1 in the FA cup.

The season before 20 in the league, 2 goals in the play-offs, 3 in the league cup.

Personally I think it would be a bit harsh to include cup games and not include play-off games, if he does match the record via it. Don't see what the difference is, still part of the season. 

Archived