Us and Boro - comparisons

loughboroughRAM

Surprised there isn't already a topic about this but after the recent events up north its strikingly similar to our situation between 13/14 and 14/15? Beaten play off finalists after taking the league by surprise following a mid table finish the year before. Both had a close knit squad of players who had been around a while - not a 'quick fix' job.  Both suffered 'Second season syndrome' whereby we were meeting expectations by being top or top two for large portions of the season before the annual 'Mid March Meltdown' takes effect after adding extra, big name players in January to help bolster the squad for the run in. Anyone else noticed these similarities or just me?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continental-style coaches.

Neither coach has any wheels left.

Identical grounds

Next to a river

Clough statue

Both sets of fans love Parmos (ok, I love Parmos)

And both clubs owned by a local man. At least Steve Mac won a trophy for them .. Their only one 

good point though, the expectation thing. As fans do we have an overblown sense of entitlement ? I don't think so. I just think it shows how difficult it is in a close league to get that extra 2-3% that turns a good team in to a winning team and to do it every week. 

11 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

We have less teams to play in the top 9 than they do

We have the same amount of teams in the top 24 to play though.

2 hours ago, loughboroughRAM said:

Surprised there isn't already a topic about this but after the recent events up north its strikingly similar to our situation between 13/14 and 14/15? Beaten play off finalists after taking the league by surprise following a mid table finish the year before. Both had a close knit squad of players who had been around a while - not a 'quick fix' job.  Both suffered 'Second season syndrome' whereby we were meeting expectations by being top or top two for large portions of the season before the annual 'Mid March Meltdown' takes effect after adding extra, big name players in January to help bolster the squad for the run in. Anyone else noticed these similarities or just me?

I already posted a sound theory. The Bamford effect. 

boro have made the same mistake as us and are experiencing player power, as we are. sign ed jordan rhodes on a bigger salary than the rest of them ? performances dip? doesnt it remind you of us signed new players on bigger wages rocks the ship only managers who are in a very strong position can get away with holding the team together so when we get a new manager lets have manager power and not player power

11 hours ago, eddie said:

We have less teams to play in the top 9 than they do.

This actually works in Boro's favour, a team that throw all the logic of the game out of the window. So far losing to Charlton, Rotherham, Bristol City (twice) etc... Whereas aside from a defeat against Hull they've drew and won against Derby and wiped the floor with anyone else of the challengers in the top 6 convincingly to boot, home and away.

The conclusion is that generally to beat Boro you have to be really really $hit. Whereas receiving a spanking from said team means you're destined for great things. If only Derby hadn't got that late equaliser at the Ipro they could have been merrily bouncing around the auto spots now.

If Boro somehow find themselves in League One in a couple of years they'll get beat off all the lower class teams and sink without trace through the successive divisions. Whereas if they somehow get promoted they'll wipe the floor with most of every supposedly higher standard side up there in the Prem and end up doing a Leicester.

1 hour ago, barnsley ram said:

boro have made the same mistake as us and are experiencing player power, as we are. sign ed jordan rhodes on a bigger salary than the rest of them ? performances dip? doesnt it remind you of us signed new players on bigger wages rocks the ship only managers who are in a very strong position can get away with holding the team together so when we get a new manager lets have manager power and not player power

Sure I read somewhere that Rhodes had actually signed on the same money he was on at Blackburn but was in for a massive pay rise if they went up

22 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Sure I read somewhere that Rhodes had actually signed on the same money he was on at Blackburn but was in for a massive pay rise if they went up

Which is still a large amount of money since he's been with them since the season after they came down.

Weird league boxing day a lot of fans were saying the leagues is Boro and Derbys no one catch them. Was great! Same with Brighton no one could catch them. Weird league.. Guess I'm saying the same about Burnley and Hull now.

Wish we had a manager though look at Warnock (not saying he'd be the best for us but better then Wassall) till the end of the season he's done wonders there. What a great league I guess!

1 hour ago, Ashz09 said:

Weird league boxing day a lot of fans were saying the leagues is Boro and Derbys no one catch them. Was great! Same with Brighton no one could catch them. Weird league.. Guess I'm saying the same about Burnley and Hull now.

Wish we had a manager though look at Warnock (not saying he'd be the best for us but better then Wassall) till the end of the season he's done wonders there. What a great league I guess!

It's a great league too. As opposed to Northampton Town who are great in League Two.

Archived