European League?

Gaspode

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let them go and when it goes to pot dont have them back. 

The big five clubs in England... three of which wont qualify for the champions league this season unless united win the europa and chelsea the champions league. 

Absolute farce just like the 39th game... Football died when the premier league was formed 

7 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Let them go and when it goes to pot dont have them back. 

The big five clubs in England... three of which wont qualify for the champions league this season unless united win the europa and chelsea the champions league. 

Absolute farce just like the 39th game... Football died when the premier league was formed 

'The premier league was formed.' That's always confused me a bit. I was young at the time, so probably wasn't aware of all the ins and outs, but didn't they essentially just change the name of the top league. Would football have headed in a different direction if they'd have kept calling it division 1?

Just the latest bargaining chip against UEFA. The European elite pull this **** every time they want something changed, and by changed, something that increases their chances of qualifying. 

I'll predict where this one will end up right now - the CL will remain, but it will either be expanded, or restructured, to allow for England, Spain, Italy and Germany, to get 5 sides in the group stages.

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

'The premier league was formed.' That's always confused me a bit. I was young at the time, so probably wasn't aware of all the ins and outs, but didn't they essentially just change the name of the top league. Would football have headed in a different direction if they'd have kept calling it division 1?

Nah sky invented the premier league, football didnt really exist before that...

On a serious note its probably not it being called 'the premier league' thats the problem but everything that goes with it

Since the top division was re-branded, all the TV rights were bought by sky & football was being shown almost every night.  More recebtly i think its gone super silly especially in the last ten years.

Footballers are being paid more and more, fans are getting ripped off and the game is ruled by greed.

Most premiership clubs have become distant with the fans and they're not clubs any more theyre PLC's & francises 

£90 a ticket at arsenal is a joke & pricing out the common man. Although i believe they dont want the common man going and they actually want a 'higher class' of supporters going... Which is fair enough they're a soulless club. Its no longer the heart of the community when you're advertising and selling to tourists

The business model seems to be marketing, become a franchise, get a foothold in america & china, become distant with your community sell kids shirts at £60 a pop and rip the soul out of a club

For me football should be about going out on a Saturday afternoon & getting out the house for a laugh with your mates or somewhere where you can take your kids & buy them a shirt without being robbed.

I understand a football club has to run as a business so it doesnt go pop but does it have to be as soulless as Premiership football? Can we not go back to when men were men? When players went out for a pint with the fans (maybe not a pint but were not so distant) didnt have their ears pierced, top bun hair cuts & drive around in several sports cars all whilst fans are being mugged off 

Football at the top level seems to have evolved into something thats horrible... I say let them break away but dont come crying back when the bubble bursts 

Was listening to a reasonable debate  (for once) on TalkSpurt about this. It is indeed all about franchise value and is interesting in its "timing" in that a number of the so called big clubs are struggling in their respective leagues.

Basically UEFA need a package of matches that they can flog for the max to the Asian market. They are deemed to want games such as manure vs Chelsea rather than Leicester vs club brugge. 

9 hours ago, G-Ram said:

On a serious note its probably not it being called 'the premier league' thats the problem but everything that goes with it

Since the top division was re-branded, all the TV rights were bought by sky & football was being shown almost every night.  More recebtly i think its gone super silly especially in the last ten years.

Footballers are being paid more and more, fans are getting ripped off and the game is ruled by greed.

Most premiership clubs have become distant with the fans and they're not clubs any more theyre PLC's & francises 

£90 a ticket at arsenal is a joke & pricing out the common man. Although i believe they dont want the common man going and they actually want a 'higher class' of supporters going... Which is fair enough they're a soulless club. Its no longer the heart of the community when you're advertising and selling to tourists

The business model seems to be marketing, become a franchise, get a foothold in america & china, become distant with your community sell kids shirts at £60 a pop and rip the soul out of a club

For me football should be about going out on a Saturday afternoon & getting out the house for a laugh with your mates or somewhere where you can take your kids & buy them a shirt without being robbed.

I understand a football club has to run as a business so it doesnt go pop but does it have to be as soulless as Premiership football? Can we not go back to when men were men? When players went out for a pint with the fans (maybe not a pint but were not so distant) didnt have their ears pierced, top bun hair cuts & drive around in several sports cars all whilst fans are being mugged off 

Football at the top level seems to have evolved into something thats horrible... I say let them break away but dont come crying back when the bubble bursts 

Totally agree. But my point was, is this the direction football was inevitably heading towards, whether it was renamed the premiership or not?

ironic that they want to sell all the big clubs to the world, then as soon as they start the league, Blackburn go and win it. 

39 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

it is funny that all the top sides in the Premier League are really playing poorly and we have a branding exercise, removing the Barclays sponsorship, I am thinking its a done deal

Oh, I hope so.

The reason we have a champions league now with teams involved that are not champions of there national league is because the last time they tried to do a European league it went tits up as they couldn't agree over finance.

It all depends on TV rights package they might get.................

English sides are obviously up for it, given the photos of the attendees - they're interested enough to listen at least. Plus to that you'll have the Spanish sides who aren't going to be happy at their new collective TV rights approach, so they'll obviously give it a good listen as well. The German sides, from memory, have always been interested in this idea, which then leaves the Italians and I'm sure they won't want to be left behind if the rest go for it. 

Although this issue is a constant, now is probably the time that stands the best chance of something actually happening, given the circumstances.

See that talk of the 'Atlantic League' has reared it's head again this morning as well - a kind of European 'Championship' to the Superleague's 'Premier League' - sides from Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Portugal etc. 

Two-tiered European football here we come......

19 hours ago, G-Ram said:

If we go on attendances I would imagine that since the formation of the Premier League (or name change if you like), and the investment from Sky, BT etc., hasn't the game increased in popularity?

Archived