Bradley and his passing accuracy

admira

I thought I'd check out how Bradley is doing in this department as whenever I see him, he appears to give the ball away an inordinate amount. Anyone else feel this?

According to the excellent Squawka website, he is 254th (out of 635) in the passing accuracy Championship table with a 76% accuracy so not all that.

He is 14th when it comes to the Rams squad. Ahead of him are Camara has a 100% accuracy, Keogh and Blackman 87%, Thorne 86%, Butterfield and Baird 85%,  Bryson 84%, Hendrick, Ince and Hanson 83%, Warnock 82%, Shackell 81% and Weimann 78%.

The likes of Christie, Olssen, Russell and Martin have worse rates than Johnson.

At Norwich last season, Johnson only achieved 72% but was their player of the year so maybe I'm reading too much into these.

Our top passers last season - Dawkins, Lingard, Coutts and Bryson

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His passing accuracy's been lower to mid 70's for as long as WhoScored.com's tracked him. 

For our record signing to be a central midfielder with passing that sloppy coming into a Derby side that wants to keep the ball and pass intricately is unforgivable. 

I think it's probably only worth comparing his passing to players who play in his position as players from other positions isn't really a fair comparison, take Martin for example, who I'd say about one in three of his passes are attempted first time balls around the corners or flicks.

Hendrick's pass accuracy for the past few seasons is around the 80% mark, Bryson and Hughes have averages of roughly 85%. 

Not sure you can read too much in to this, Keogh has a high accuracy because he is usually passing it five yards to a midfielder or another defender. Players who operate mostly in the final third will typically have lower passing accuracy because the nature of the passes they attempt are different and carry a higher risk of interception.

Context.

The nearer you are to the sharp end, the harder it is to find your target. That's why stats sites - and the statistics themselves - are only a guide or a tool, and not an end in themselves.

See 'Clement'.

No surprise what so ever as he can not pass to save his life. Will back him up a bit though in that passing isn't really his game. From what I gather he's more about full blooded tackles, long shots and power etc. Although we've not seen much of this lately either...

I should probably also add that Bryson, Henrick and Hughes also make more key passes per game and create more goals as well. Johnson attempts more long passes per game than any of those three however, which will make his PA slightly worse (he tries about 8 or 9 a game and 4 or 5 usually find their target). 

Interesante. But I hate the conclusions being drawn from this thread. I'd now like to see stats for Johnson on his a) winning balls in air b) tackling balls won percentage c) percentage of how he scares the hell out of the other team and makes them look like little weenies. And as I recall he set up the winner at Brentford and an earlier pass through to hendrick that he totally fluffed.

more disturbing are Shackells numbers - for a centre half with a large number of passes to Carson and Keogh, it's woeful. 

7 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Interesante. But I hate the conclusions being drawn from this thread. I'd now like to see stats for Johnson on his a) winning balls in air b) tackling balls won percentage c) percentage of how he scares the hell out of the other team and makes them look like little weenies. And as I recall he set up the winner at Brentford and an earlier pass through to hendrick that he totally fluffed.

more disturbing are Shackells numbers - for a centre half with a large number of passes to Carson and Keogh, it's woeful. 

Last I remember, Johnson made 2.1 tackles per game, second behind Thorne who makes 3.5 per game. I'll have a look at his aerials won soon.

Shackell's passing was as high as 85% recently. He's started making a lot of long passes now though, which will have tasked his PA down quite a bit. 

My Bradley comments probably need to be taken with salted grains because I just think he's a fantastic player - bettered only by Thorne Hughes and Keogh, and possibly matched with Bryso and Christiie He's an enjoyable player to watch and you feel he can score any moment. The problem is you have to find a spot for him in a formation - he's not a pure defender he's not a striker he's not a true defensive midfielder and he's not a pure attacking midfielder or winger. So where do you put him? A good coach will find a position where he can excel. 

I Noticed last game that he switched back and forth from left wing to defensive mid alongside Hanson. I was a bit puzzled by it.

@Ninos Seven players challenge for more aerial balls than Johnson.

Six players win more aerial challenges per game than Johnson. Of this six, three win a higher percentage of aerial challenges than Johnson.

Ten lose more aerial challenges per game than Johnson.

There isn't a tool that tells you the percentage of aerial duels won, so without bothering to work it out exactly, I think six players win a higher percentage of their aerial challenges than Johnson. 

33 minutes ago, cannable said:

@Ninos Seven players challenge for more aerial balls than Johnson.

Six players win more aerial challenges per game than Johnson. Of this six, three win a higher percentage of aerial challenges than Johnson.

Ten lose more aerial challenges per game than Johnson.

There isn't a tool that tells you the percentage of aerial duels won, so without bothering to work it out exactly, I think six players win a higher percentage of their aerial challenges than Johnson. 

But he does attack them well in the box, can't really quantify that with stats... For example, much rather have Johnson attacking it than Keogh from a free kick.

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

But he does attack them well in the box, can't really quantify that with stats... For example, much rather have Johnson attacking it than Keogh from a free kick.

They do however confirm the belief that he's one of our better players in the air. 

I agree though, that's why I gave stats from so many different angles, because no individual stat really painted a picture. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

But Martin is the best striker in the league, or at least that's what people have been telling me.

I'll lend you my pitchfork

WhoScored lists Passing and Crossing a weakness of his from this season (when we signed him, it said no notable weaknesses) - these strengths/weaknesses change based on numbers players put up. But he's improved hugely (statistically) in the last two games (playing left forward). 

In his first 13 games (of 26 league appearances, 25 starts sub) for us he averaged a score of 7.23 on whoscored. In his second 13 games he averaged 6.81 - but that second average has been improved by two good performances (7.91 v Brentford, 7.27 v Blackburn). 

These numbers are decent measures of what measurable things a player is/isn't doing. And you can see that by looking at the individual numbers, once Derby's form started to turn he has been getting statistically worse up until his position was changed v Brentford. 

Archived