Should we have got more loans in?

climbon

When Hughes and Bryson got injured we signed Johnson and Butterfield. When Fozzy got injured we signed Ollson. When Hughes and Fozzy come back we will have an (even more bloated) squad.

Because of this I think there will be a temptation to move on Hendrick, Bryson and maybe a few other "been here longer" players. I can't see us getting rid of any of the new player because to do so will probably mean making a loss.

My concern if this were to happen would be that we would lose the passionate players we had playing "the derby way" (urg) under Mac and be left with big money players who don't really care about Derby too much.

When our injuries happened, I think we should have gone for loans, then when the injured players returned the loans go back and we still have a harmonious small group of players.

Slightly different topic, but why are we not using loan players. People bemoan the loan system "players only playing well to get a contract" etc...but isn't that what we desperately need. Ince and Bent last season were amazing. Also gives us the "try before you buy" option...rather than buying whoever is avaliable at over inflated prices.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loans can be useful, but you're beholden to another club. It really unbalanced us when Liverpool recalled Ibe last season. The try before you buy aspect is useful, but if the player does well his value will shoot up and you'll find yourself paying over the odds if you want to push a permanent deal through.

On the subject of moving on players who have been with the club for a long time, I'd like to think our management and board would be brave enough to cut our losses on some of the new signings rather than sell consistent performers in an attempt to salvage some pride.

Keep Bryso, Hendrick, Hughes, Bucko, Chrissy M, Forsyth, GT - Part of the Derby DNA.

Sell/ release Johnson, Weimann, Russell, Bent, Baird, Pearce, Grant, Shotton, Christie,  - underachievers/ passengers/ just not good enough.

Warnock can go with his head held high as imo he has been excellent. Forsyth sale will be dependent on progress of Lowe.

Promote to first team squad Rawson, Hanson, Zanzala, Bennett, Lowe, Mitchell

Of the 2015 signing keep Incey, Blackman, Shacks, Butters, Carson, Olsson, Camara

Sign a quality RB, right footed wideman, maybe a quality striker. We would rake in circa £9M through sales as we would have to take a big hit. 

6 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Forsyth is our best LB and one of the best LB's in the league. Immense defensively, fantastic attacker and has played a very key part in our best periods over the past few years as a club. He's also still pretty young.

Definitely has a future here.

Is he capable of playing further forward in a left midfield role? With Olsen behind him that would give us more attacking thrust down our left side without compromising the defensive side.

8 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Is he capable of playing further forward in a left midfield role? With Olsen behind him that would give us more attacking thrust down our left side without compromising the defensive side.

He used to play on the wing for watford then filled in at left back and he didnt go back 

Archived