Good and bad starts at the very top.

Half fan

We have tried too many formations, squad rotations and new signings without success for seven games now for our failings to be blamed upon them. A points tally of FOUR from TWENTY ONE would be relegation form under Nigel.

So is it time to take a helicopter view from high up as to what might have changed since or maybe just prior to Christmas? Bear with me please, as I am trying to be constructive.

Thankfully I have never run a football club, but I've been a Chairman or CEO of many businesses for twenty five years, and I think we would all agree that DCFC is a business as well as a football club.

Using my business experience, here are my straws in the wind.

1. I have just received a letter encouraging me to buy a new season ticket. In previous years it has been signed by the CEOs, Tom Glick or Sam Rush. This year it is signed by the "Chairman and Owner" Mel Morris.
  2. It is admitted by the club that after the Reading match, the Chairman entered the dressing room. For him to do so after a match when we win promotion is one thing. For him to do so after a dreadful performance is another. Noticeably for the first time Paul Clement was acerbic in his post-match interview - the wisdom of which some might doubt. And rumours of why Dubai was cancelled swirled around.
  3. I recall our Chairman saying that PC's appointment was fundamental to The Derby Way. Yet  a rookie was appointed with what I would argue is a highly irrelevant background ("Paul I know you are used to training Alonso and Isco, say hi to Paul Baird") to succeed where a former England Manager had failed.

So what do I conclude, rightly or wrongly?

• For an organisation to succeed, and for all or most of its people to be happy and all pulling together, there have to be clear lines of demarcation. Can we claim this if Mel signs an important letter which Sam used to write very successfully? Or the Chairman enters the dressing room (which Tom Ince said he had never encountered before)?
  • When the Chairman and the Board were in the USA, Sam was clearly CEO and I seem to recall had loads of praise on this forum. But now the Chairman resides in Derbyshire and comes into the club often, there must still be only one EXECUTIVE leader. If that is not Sam, what is Sam doing? No longer capable of writing a letter designed to maximise season-ticket income? Surely that is what a CEO is held accountable for? If ticket sales now fall, it might not be solely because It was not as good a letter as Sam would have written. But what should be a clear-cut set of responsibilities and accountabilities now has fault lines which can end relationships. My conclusion is to worry about the Board Room, which is a febrile place at the best of times.
  • Given a rookie manager and an ambitious chairman, we now start wondering who is making the selections to sign. When Schteve brought in Bamford, Ibe, Lingard, Butland and Ince, we had no doubt who had picked them, and thanks to whom it was that they agreed to come. Now what do we think? And more to the point, what do the old guard think when they see big money being paid for players who can no longer keep them out of the team? It cannot be very harmonious. And we buy a CF who protested before he arrived that he did not relish playing on the wing - and we then let him prove his inadequacy in this postion. My conclusion - who has the clear vision of who should be on the pitch and what they should be doing there - without any interference?

I recall a famous and ultimately unsuccessful Chairman boasting that the Board is him on the 'phone. Be prepared for a rough ride Chairman if that is your vision. But I hope if I am hitting any nails on the head, there is time for our rookie FOOTBALL CLUB Chairman to sit everyone down and start again.

PS I am not sure i like his letter to be signed "Owner". Of course we are not shareholders, but we the fans and the players are huge stakeholders without which his ownership would be hollow. Chill out please Mel - you have had a brilliant career, made a stack and have the wonderful objective of returning your home club to the greatness it deserves (deserved in part because of the volume and loyalty of we stakeholders, rather than because of his ownership). Now pick the right people, make it clear who does what and stick to being one of us! Please!

•  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is noticeable that Sam rush has retreated into his shell and mel is very much upfront.

He is the most hands on chairman i can remember and his style does not seem to brook anyone or anything which is off message. Whilst he is demonstrating strong leadership and has a clear vision for the academy, its all a bit OTT and over bearing imo. I notice that we haven't had any of those sam rush / john vicars video nasties since mel took over.

PC has a job on his hands coping with such a strong character as mel. Whilst many on here were supportive of mel's right to enter the dressing room and tear a strip off the team, personally i think it was a disaster. It undermined the manager/ coach and was highly likely to damage team spirit and morale. It certainly has not worked as we haven't won a game since. And tbh he was attacking the wrong target. Defeat at middlesbro was clearly linked to a very poor substitution. The decision to go to 424 allowed boro's 5 man midfield to take over and we conceded twice in the last ten minutes - whereas a point and a goalless draw would have been ok. We hadn't even lost the match v Reading but the draw on top of defeat at boro and the draw at Leeds seemed to trigger the rant. Furthermore it was clearly the failings of the 4231 formation which left a huge hole in midfield which was the primary cause of the poor performance v Reading. although the performance was not inspiring it was still a point against a team we lost 0-3 to the previous season. someone should have stuck mel under the cold shower. Instead PC - who had been doing a pretty good impression of a pot plant on the touchline - also tore into the team in his post match interview. Mel's bad mood appeared to have prompted a poor interview and the players took the blame. Actually PC should have held his hand up and taken responsibility for that one. The change of formation was worth a try, but it didn't work. 

I think there is some truth in the suggestion that MM appointed a rookie because either consciously or unconsciously it allowed greater potential to intervene and mould the individual. Right from the start there was Mel talking about schteve's failings and a lack of plan b. Was it really a coincidence that we faffed about with some strange formations for the first few games? I'm not suggesting that mel was directly intervening but he seemed to influence PC's response to the job. The suggestion that the team briefings and tactics should be videoed may have been an innocent suggestion but it smacked of control-freakery too.

Despite the somewhat boring football we were top of the league only 3 games prior to mel's rant. We saw a brief flash of that temper at the fans forum when mel reacted badly to a pretty innocent suggestion regarding having a like for like understudy to chris martin. It was a strange slip of the mask but was most revealing. 

Exactly who is involved in signing the players is now obscure. Why chris evans left was never explained. The impression is that its a bit of a team effort ? Who knows? Personally i would prefer it if it was clear that the manager signed the players and was 100% responsible for all football related recruitment decisions. 

PC is a tough cookie. Part of growing into the role will involve telling the chairman to back off/ fck off if he has to, but he doesn't have that authority atm. I watch mel at games. When its going pear shaped he sometimes has a little conference at half time with Sam and Darren Wassell who hangs on to his coat tails and whispers in his ear throughout the game. I personally don't like the look of that but maybe i'm paranoid. If i was PC i'd make DW sit on the bench so he can whisper his observations and suggestions into a more appropriate ear.

I don't think we are going to see free flowing attractive football this season, but maybe we can get back to something more effective and go up via wembley. it would help if everyone calmed down a bit and stopped throwing a strop. And that includes Mel. The constant criticism creates a caustic atmosphere and doesn't help. The fear factor may be influencing our risk averse passing and possession game. Its getting boring - both the football and the reaction to it. 

Personally i would just forget promotion. If it happens it happens. if it does happen we need to grow some balls and get used to handling defeat otherwise we will implode like we did the last time we graced the premier league. If it doesn't happen, so fkn what? 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

PC has a job on his hands coping with such a strong character as mel.

I've seen claims about him also being an astute businessman and all kinds of praise heaped on him when the truth is none of us know Mel on a personal level, he's only been here 5 minutes and I'm struggling to see how so many can call things like this.

Whilst many on here were supportive of mel's right to enter the dressing room and tear a strip off the team, personally i think it was a disaster. It undermined the manager/ coach and was highly likely to damage team spirit and morale

Another claim that is impossible to make without having spoken to Clement in private on a personal level

I think there is some truth in the suggestion that MM appointed a rookie because either consciously or unconsciously it allowed greater potential to intervene and mould the individual.

I've never heard any crazy suggestions like that, do you really honestly think that when looking for a new manager one of the requirements for the job was the potential to intervene and this is why we didn't go for a experienced manager but a rookie? I'm sorry but that's just beyond nuts.

Right from the start there was Mel talking about schteve's failings and a lack of plan b. Was it really a coincidence that we faffed about with some strange formations for the first few games?

Mel is a Derby fan, he has been watching the club for a lot longer than me and many on this forum, of course he will have an opinion on what is going on. Is it a coincidence that we tried new formations out? what with a new manager that will have different ideas to McClaren and may have watched the DVD's from our run in and may have felt 4-3-3 left us too exposed at the back? what did you expect him to walk in and just pick up McClaren's tactical handbook and carry on where he left off? 

I'm not suggesting that mel was directly intervening but he seemed to influence PC's response to the job.

Isn't that exactly what you are suggesting? 

The suggestion that the team briefings and tactics should be videoed may have been an innocent suggestion but it smacked of control-freakery too.

My memory is crap and I maybe wrong on this but I only remember cameras being installed around the training ground for sessions being recorded so the coaching staff can look back on, which isn't a new thing and many clubs across Europe already do including Real Madrid. 

Despite the somewhat boring football we were top of the league only 3 games prior to mel's rant.

And in those games having beat Fulham we went on to draw with a poor Leeds side and lose pretty convincingly to Boro

Exactly who is involved in signing the players is now obscure. Why chris evans left was never explained.

Evans resigned, could be a number of reasons, maybe wasn't happy in Derby, just wanted some time away from football, didn't agree with the way the club was heading, didn't feel like he was on the same level as Clement. I'm not sure exactly the reasons why we would need to the exact reasons and it shouldn't be down to the club to reveal his reasons.

I watch mel at games. When its going pear shaped he sometimes has a little conference at half time with Sam and Darren Wassell who hangs on to his coat tails and whispers in his ear throughout the game. I personally don't like the look of that but maybe i'm paranoid. If i was PC i'd make DW sit on the bench so he can whisper his observations and suggestions into a more appropriate ear.

Paranoia. It's ok, I know what it feels like sat here as the owner of the site knowing the chairman reads and seeing all kind of claims made across the forum (not just this post) about him and what he's up to behind closed doors.

From now on Mel you must sit, smile for the onlooking fans and say nothing to anyone around you.

The whispering maybe due to sponsors, directors and other club officials sat around them on the comfy posh seats that they don't want hearing, true it could wait till behind closed doors but we're just getting silly now. I bet if you watch chairmen up and down the country they will all be sat whispering seductively into others ears.

I don't think we are going to see free flowing attractive football this season, but maybe we can get back to something more effective and go up via wembley.

When we went to see Mel the idea of the Derby way was this, so if Mel was up there influencing team selections, formations, tactics that is the football we would be seeing right? Clement wouldn't be on the radio talking up possession football and how he would prefer to hold on to the ball Zzzz that trying a pass forward and giving it away. I agree tho, I don't see Clement changing anytime soon.....maybe Mel should have a word? ;) 

it would help if everyone calmed down a bit and stopped throwing a strop. And that includes Mel. 

Yet here you are making 2+2=75458744 :lol: 

The only "strop" we have heard Mel having is entering the dressing room once and we still don't know exactly what was said, should also point out that Clement was fine about it. Should have included that earlier in talk of undermining the manager.

The constant criticism creates a caustic atmosphere and doesn't help.

Err....:huh:

Thanks Daveo for doing that, just what I wanted to say but hadn't the time or energy. 

How can people complain about stuff when it has no basis in fact? It's just an impression they get because they want to find something to moan about. Don't like that he's signing off as 'the owner'? What? He is the owner! Also how do we know Sam Rush hasn't gratefully relinquished some of his responsibilities? He's working on some other parts of his job that are more vital and he's better qualified to do maybe. But no, it suits some people better to fantasise about conspiracies and unrest. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I watch mel at games. When its going pear shaped he sometimes has a little conference at half time with Sam and Darren Wassell who hangs on to his coat tails and whispers in his ear throughout the game. I personally don't like the look of that but maybe i'm paranoid. If i was PC i'd make DW sit on the bench so he can whisper his observations and suggestions into a more appropriate ear.

That's a superb evolution of my original theme, thanks RamNut.

DW's brown tongue was so evident at the videod meeting last Autumn that it was embarrassing.

Remember when Eric used to dash out to the Technical Area and pass on advice to Simpson or Schteve? That's what someone should be doing for PC. Instead he stands there virtually all match looking very lonely. 

If PC turns out to be the wrong appointment - which I really hope it doesn't because he is a decent guy never mind his credentials - it will not be his fault. When an appointment fails (as it often does) it's really the fault of those who made the appointment - choosing the wrong guy by not matching job requirements to person skills and experience, and/or by failing to create the right environment for the guy to succeed. I fear that both failings apply with Mel and PC.

Meantime the chairs are then re-arranged on the deck, so to speak, rather than steer away from the iceberg.

We all know that a manager can succeed at one club and fail miserably at another. Interesting and sad to think this can apply to Chairmen too. Let's hope the powers that be, coolly and honestly assess what is going wrong and earn their corn by putting it right.

Come on the Board of You Rams!

PS Those wretched Yanks were rather good, were they not? Could that be because they sagely appointed a top-notch CEO who was spot-on for DCFC and let him get on with it?

40 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I've seen claims about him also being an astute businessman and all kinds of praise heaped on him when the truth is none of us know Mel on a personal level, he's only been here 5 minutes and I'm struggling to see how so many can call things like this.

Another claim that is impossible to make without having spoken to Clement in private on a personal level

I've never heard any crazy suggestions like that, do you really honestly think that when looking for a new manager one of the requirements for the job was the potential to intervene and this is why we didn't go for a experienced manager but a rookie? I'm sorry but that's just beyond nuts.

Mel is a Derby fan, he has been watching the club for a lot longer than me and many on this forum, of course he will have an opinion on what is going on. Is it a coincidence that we tried new formations out? what with a new manager that will have different ideas to McClaren and may have watched the DVD's from our run in and may have felt 4-3-3 left us too exposed at the back? what did you expect him to walk in and just pick up McClaren's tactical handbook and carry on where he left off? 

Isn't that exactly what you are suggesting? 

My memory is crap and I maybe wrong on this but I only remember cameras being installed around the training ground for sessions being recorded so the coaching staff can look back on, which isn't a new thing and many clubs across Europe already do including Real Madrid. 

And in those games having beat Fulham we went on to draw with a poor Leeds side and lose pretty convincingly to Boro

Evans resigned, could be a number of reasons, maybe wasn't happy in Derby, just wanted some time away from football, didn't agree with the way the club was heading, didn't feel like he was on the same level as Clement. I'm not sure exactly the reasons why we would need to the exact reasons and it shouldn't be down to the club to reveal his reasons.

Paranoia. It's ok, I know what it feels like sat here as the owner of the site knowing the chairman reads and seeing all kind of claims made across the forum (not just this post) about him and what he's up to behind closed doors.

From now on Mel you must sit, smile for the onlooking fans and say nothing to anyone around you.

The whispering maybe due to sponsors, directors and other club officials sat around them on the comfy posh seats that they don't want hearing, true it could wait till behind closed doors but we're just getting silly now. I bet if you watch chairmen up and down the country they will all be sat whispering seductively into others ears.

When we went to see Mel the idea of the Derby way was this, so if Mel was up there influencing team selections, formations, tactics that is the football we would be seeing right? Clement wouldn't be on the radio talking up possession football and how he would prefer to hold on to the ball Zzzz that trying a pass forward and giving it away. I agree tho, I don't see Clement changing anytime soon.....maybe Mel should have a word? ;) 

Yet here you are making 2+2=75458744 :lol: 

The only "strop" we have heard Mel having is entering the dressing room once and we still don't know exactly what was said, should also point out that Clement was fine about it. Should have included that earlier in talk of undermining the manager.

Err....:huh:

Aren't you meeting up with Mel at the weekend? Maybe you could ask him?

13 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Aren't you meeting up with Mel at the weekend? Maybe you could ask him?

This Saturday, will ask him what his team will be for MK Dons and might print off B4's new formation and slip it into his pocket 

22 hours ago, Half fan said:

We have tried too many formations, squad rotations and new signings without success for seven games now for our failings to be blamed upon them. A points tally of FOUR from TWENTY ONE would be relegation form under Nigel.

So is it time to take a helicopter view from high up as to what might have changed since or maybe just prior to Christmas? Bear with me please, as I am trying to be constructive.

Thankfully I have never run a football club, but I've been a Chairman or CEO of many businesses for twenty five years, and I think we would all agree that DCFC is a business as well as a football club.

Using my business experience, here are my straws in the wind.

1. I have just received a letter encouraging me to buy a new season ticket. In previous years it has been signed by the CEOs, Tom Glick or Sam Rush. This year it is signed by the "Chairman and Owner" Mel Morris.
  2. It is admitted by the club that after the Reading match, the Chairman entered the dressing room. For him to do so after a match when we win promotion is one thing. For him to do so after a dreadful performance is another. Noticeably for the first time Paul Clement was acerbic in his post-match interview - the wisdom of which some might doubt. And rumours of why Dubai was cancelled swirled around.
  3. I recall our Chairman saying that PC's appointment was fundamental to The Derby Way. Yet  a rookie was appointed with what I would argue is a highly irrelevant background ("Paul I know you are used to training Alonso and Isco, say hi to Paul Baird") to succeed where a former England Manager had failed.

So what do I conclude, rightly or wrongly?

• For an organisation to succeed, and for all or most of its people to be happy and all pulling together, there have to be clear lines of demarcation. Can we claim this if Mel signs an important letter which Sam used to write very successfully? Or the Chairman enters the dressing room (which Tom Ince said he had never encountered before)?
  • When the Chairman and the Board were in the USA, Sam was clearly CEO and I seem to recall had loads of praise on this forum. But now the Chairman resides in Derbyshire and comes into the club often, there must still be only one EXECUTIVE leader. If that is not Sam, what is Sam doing? No longer capable of writing a letter designed to maximise season-ticket income? Surely that is what a CEO is held accountable for? If ticket sales now fall, it might not be solely because It was not as good a letter as Sam would have written. But what should be a clear-cut set of responsibilities and accountabilities now has fault lines which can end relationships. My conclusion is to worry about the Board Room, which is a febrile place at the best of times.
  • Given a rookie manager and an ambitious chairman, we now start wondering who is making the selections to sign. When Schteve brought in Bamford, Ibe, Lingard, Butland and Ince, we had no doubt who had picked them, and thanks to whom it was that they agreed to come. Now what do we think? And more to the point, what do the old guard think when they see big money being paid for players who can no longer keep them out of the team? It cannot be very harmonious. And we buy a CF who protested before he arrived that he did not relish playing on the wing - and we then let him prove his inadequacy in this postion. My conclusion - who has the clear vision of who should be on the pitch and what they should be doing there - without any interference?

I recall a famous and ultimately unsuccessful Chairman boasting that the Board is him on the 'phone. Be prepared for a rough ride Chairman if that is your vision. But I hope if I am hitting any nails on the head, there is time for our rookie FOOTBALL CLUB Chairman to sit everyone down and start again.

PS I am not sure i like his letter to be signed "Owner". Of course we are not shareholders, but we the fans and the players are huge stakeholders without which his ownership would be hollow. Chill out please Mel - you have had a brilliant career, made a stack and have the wonderful objective of returning your home club to the greatness it deserves (deserved in part because of the volume and loyalty of we stakeholders, rather than because of his ownership). Now pick the right people, make it clear who does what and stick to being one of us! Please!

•  

Really superb post Half Fan. You may or may not be barking up the wrong tree and time will tell.

But well done all the same.

19 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Really superb post Half Fan. You may or may not be barking up the wrong tree and time will tell.

But well done all the same.

Thanks ValeRam. It took some time to compose, so it is rewarding to be appreciated.

That reward is of course so often not forthcoming for a football club chairman! I seem to recall Mr Gadsby resigning because of horrific personal abuse from fans who thought he should be spending more on acquiring players.

I know we fans also receive a lot of stick for being impatient and critical - allegedly more impatient and more critical than fans at most other clubs. I wonder whether this is because, based on our gates (thanks fans) and our facilities (thanks Mel) we should be at least a mid-table Premier League club. If we can only achieve this, I hope the pressure, expectation, impatience and criticsm would wane considerably. We all might just appreciate how lucky we are.

Meantime I hope I have barked up the wrong tree - but if I have barked up the right one, I hope it does some good. The onlooker sees more of the game!

Some excellent posting and counting posting going on in this thread - actually enjoyable to read views without people insulting one another.

I sit firmly on the fence of an interfering chairman however which does not help the football club. From the moment his parking spot at Derby County became "Mel Morris - chairman" whilst PC, SR, JV and SE all were done by their position, I knew it was a starting point about it becoming the Mel Morris show.

I also spotted the season ticket letter being signed off with his name. Absolutely 100% that should be from Sam Rush.

I'm spouting a figure off here of circa £400k - £500k. This is what I believe our CEO is on, based on A) The rumours about what Glick was on and B) Looking at the highest paid Director on Company Accounts. I don't know what we are getting from Sam Rush at the moment - we may be getting an awful lot and we cannot see it but the majority of places I would expect to see him, we are getting Mel Morris.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do but I only see this ending up in one place - failure and disaster. If we slip a bit more, the fans will become more restless. Will they take this out on PC or MM? Whatever happens - MM will then feel obliged to say something publicly because that's been his tenure so far. Its a downward spiral.

Some fans will give MM time and affection, because he's bought their affection rather than earning it (My opinion). I'd love a silent owner - one who stays 100% behind the scenes and lets PC and SR be the public faces for anything football and anything Business/commercial.

Let's just all prey the football results (and the football) improve - its the ONLY thing to me which will bring back a cohesive feel about the place, because it certainly isn't right now.

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I wonder how many points Norwich had at this point last season. They had an awful start and ended up looking like (arguably) the best team in the division.

After 30 games last season

1. Boro 59pts

2. Bournemouth 58pts

3. Derby 58pts

4. Ipswich 54pts

5. Watford 53pts

6. Brentford 52pts

7. Norwich 50pts

4 hours ago, robglosta said:

So it's the fault of a Chairman who has invested heavily and one of the most respected coaches in Europe. Right. 

I think the real issue is impatience. 

64043882.jpg

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Some excellent posting and counting posting going on in this thread - actually enjoyable to read views without people insulting one another.

I sit firmly on the fence of an interfering chairman however which does not help the football club. From the moment his parking spot at Derby County became "Mel Morris - chairman" whilst PC, SR, JV and SE all were done by their position, I knew it was a starting point about it becoming the Mel Morris show.

I also spotted the season ticket letter being signed off with his name. Absolutely 100% that should be from Sam Rush.

I'm spouting a figure off here of circa £400k - £500k. This is what I believe our CEO is on, based on A) The rumours about what Glick was on and B) Looking at the highest paid Director on Company Accounts. I don't know what we are getting from Sam Rush at the moment - we may be getting an awful lot and we cannot see it but the majority of places I would expect to see him, we are getting Mel Morris.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do but I only see this ending up in one place - failure and disaster. If we slip a bit more, the fans will become more restless. Will they take this out on PC or MM? Whatever happens - MM will then feel obliged to say something publicly because that's been his tenure so far. Its a downward spiral.

Some fans will give MM time and affection, because he's bought their affection rather than earning it (My opinion). I'd love a silent owner - one who stays 100% behind the scenes and lets PC and SR be the public faces for anything football and anything Business/commercial.

Let's just all prey the football results (and the football) improve - its the ONLY thing to me which will bring back a cohesive feel about the place, because it certainly isn't right now.

So much for sitting on the fence

I sit firmly on the fence of an interfering chairman however which does not help the football club

20 minutes ago, eddie said:

So much for sitting on the fence

Yes that was the only puzzling sentence in what was another insightful post from rammieib.

I suspect he meant to type "I sit firmly on the CHEST of an interfering chairman"!

Apologies that my control of the keyboard for this site is not quite up to speed.

Archived