Good and bad starts at the very top.

Half fan

4 hours ago, Half fan said:

Thanks ValeRam. It took some time to compose, so it is rewarding to be appreciated.

That reward is of course so often not forthcoming for a football club chairman! I seem to recall Mr Gadsby resigning because of horrific personal abuse from fans who thought he should be spending more on acquiring players.

I know we fans also receive a lot of stick for being impatient and critical - allegedly more impatient and more critical than fans at most other clubs. I wonder whether this is because, based on our gates (thanks fans) and our facilities (thanks Mel) we should be at least a mid-table Premier League club. If we can only achieve this, I hope the pressure, expectation, impatience and criticsm would wane considerably. We all might just appreciate how lucky we are.

Meantime I hope I have barked up the wrong tree - but if I have barked up the right one, I hope it does some good. The onlooker sees more of the game!

I'm beginning to wonder if its actually only us who are thinking we are an impatient lot compared to other fans - maybe in fact its the majority of football fans who are like that or are becoming like that.

It was interesting to see the reaction of Arsenal fans following their victory yesterday. My take on their general mood was that they were very buoyant yesterday and felt the League was well within their grasp and, in fact, theirs is the team best equipped to go all the way. Less than a week ago, after they drew at home to Southampton, all the talk that I picked from them was that they were suicidal, Wenger had cocked it up yet again and it would be another failed season, with Piers Morgan amongst others ranting for hours on end to anyone who would listen about how bad and disastrous it all was.

Maybe we're all the same now 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

I'm beginning to wonder if its actually only us who are thinking we are an impatient lot compared to other fans - maybe in fact its the majority of football fans who are like that or are becoming like that.

It was interesting to see the reaction of Arsenal fans following their victory yesterday. My take on their general mood was that they were very buoyant yesterday and felt the League was well within their grasp and, in fact, theirs is the team best equipped to go all the way. Less than a week ago, after they drew at home to Southampton, all the talk that I picked from them was that they were suicidal, Wenger had cocked it up yet again and it would be another failed season, with Piers Morgan amongst others ranting for hours on end to anyone who would listen about how bad and disastrous it all was.

Maybe we're all the same now 

I'm not so sure you're right. Of course there is moaning at every club, but when I go to away games and the home team mis places a pass they don't moan how we do. Not even close. In fact in many years of watching football I have very very rarely seen a reaction from a crowd similar to what Warnock got vs Preston and we have done that twice this season alone, practically booing the player every time he got the ball with Baird too after he gave the fans a bit of stick back (Which they deserved).

51 minutes ago, eddie said:

So much for sitting on the fence

24 minutes ago, Half fan said:

Some excellent posting and counting posting going on in this thread - actually enjoyable to read views without people insulting one another.

I sit firmly on the fence of an interfering chairman however which does not help the football club

Yes that was the only puzzling sentence in what was another insightful post from rammieib.

I suspect he meant to type "I sit firmly on the CHEST of an interfering chairman"!

Apologies that my control of the keyboard for this site is not quite up to speed.

LOL - wrong expression - I sit firmly in the court that the chairman shouldn't be interfering. That better Eddie? ;)

1 hour ago, Chris Mills said:

I'm not so sure you're right. Of course there is moaning at every club, but when I go to away games and the home team mis places a pass they don't moan how we do. Not even close. In fact in many years of watching football I have very very rarely seen a reaction from a crowd similar to what Warnock got vs Preston and we have done that twice this season alone, practically booing the player every time he got the ball with Baird too after he gave the fans a bit of stick back (Which they deserved).

I remember going to Anfield to stand on the kop to watch them play QPR in their heyday. It was astonishing the verbal abuse and derision being meted out throughout the game to Phil Neal , one of their most decorated club and country players of all time. That must have been nigh on 30 years ago.

I'm not sure what the scientific evidence is to support the view that people from the Derby area who go to watch their local club are 'worse' than folk from anywhere else in this respect.

And I sit in the East Stand. Like most of my fellow fans there I too was extremely frustrated on both the Baird and Warnock occasions. As ever, they are as entitled to their view as is anyone else.

I tend to get frustrated during a game when we're not playing well and losing, once the games done I tend to calm down quickly and forget about it. 

We seem to forget we haven't been in the premiership for 8 years, and the last time we were up there we finished with the lowest points total in history, along with other unwanted records, we are a club that has mainly been 2nd tier throughout its history, that's our natural level imo, along with Boro, Ipswich, Burnley and Hull, we aren't any bigger than those clubs tbh, we're a good 2nd tier club that can push for promotion, we need to realise this I think. 

7 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

I remember going to Anfield to stand on the kop to watch them play QPR in their heyday. It was astonishing the verbal abuse and derision being meted out throughout the game to Phil Neal , one of their most decorated club and country players of all time. That must have been nigh on 30 years ago.

I'm not sure what the scientific evidence is to support the view that people from the Derby area who go to watch their local club are 'worse' than folk from anywhere else in this respect.

And I sit in the East Stand. Like most of my fellow fans there I too was extremely frustrated on both the Baird and Warnock occasions. As ever, they are as entitled to their view as is anyone else.

Maybe you're right, I can only speak from my own experience as games and as I watch Derby play more than anyone else I will see things at our club more often than at others, I just find it hard to believe there is such a negative atmosphere at the vast majority of clubs. One that almost sucks the enjoyment out of watching the game.

Not sure Warnock did anything wrong that game. Easy to play football from the stands. Baird again didn't do too much wrong, passed the ball back a few times when there was a "better" pass on (Easy to see from the stand, not so easy when you're level with all the other players on the pitch and don't have a view of the whole game), throws his hand up at the crowd who have been shouting at him (So? Double standards maybe?) and then gets repeatedly boo'd by his own fans.

Talk about encouraging the team to play at their best right? :ph34r:

32 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

When we got into the first division under Brian Clough, the first time we played Liverpool was a fantastic 4-0 victory (the goals were replayed on Star Soccer as part of the opening for years).

We were on the Popside and there were a bunch of scousers just to our right on the other side of the fence. I was convinced that their right winger's name was called Ferfuxake Callaghan.

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

@eddie must have been something I said.

It's a good job that bet I had wasn't "Clement won't be sacked before the end of the season". CamTAD would still have got their £20, but it would have been me forking out.

8 hours ago, Daveo said:

This Saturday, will ask him what his team will be for MK Dons and might print off B4's new formation and slip it into his pocket 

You seem like a yes man. You'll get on great with him.

looks like i hit the nail smack on the head - especially re Darren Wassell.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

You seem like a yes man. You'll get on great with him.

looks like i hit the nail smack on the head - especially re Darren Wassell.

Stand by my post earlier, a lot was based on nothing but coicedence and guess work, what has happened tonight doesn't really change that apart from the Wassall bit, maybe this has been coming for a while, who knows.

In terms of being a "yes man" think you will find I was overly critical of the ticket prices for the Man Utd game, the Blackman signing, McClaren sacking and I wasn't fully behind the Clememt appointment either. 

When members are suggesting things that they can't backup it will make me nervous having been contacted by lawyers in the past. Want to call him a **** for this, call him an arse for the signings go for it, doesn't bother me. 

For the record Clements sacking I don't agree with at all. Pretty shocked right now.

Archived