Who should be kept and who should we try and move on?

IlsonDerby

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Harsh on Christie IMO

Will be judged harsh but how often do you see yourself saying to yourself this during a game:

- Christie - just put your foot through it and clear it.

- Christie - First time cross needed, now you've lost it

- Christie - Momentum has just broken down with you again

- Christie - Stop taking everyone on and cross the effing ball!

- Christie - if you take someone on who goes in for the challenge, just chip the ball over them (Most are guilty of this)

- Christie - Get your head up man

Two years ago, Kieron Trippier had something like 20 assists in the season from right back for Burnley. He was super - not a glamourous player, not a multi million signing by Burnley, just a really good RB who could defend and new what to do when getting forward.

George Friend does a terrific job for Boro this season at left full back.

Christie I just never see becoming one of those players and for that reason, I'm out!

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Regardless of whether we stay down or whether we some how go up our squad is too big. What would your squad for the beginning of next year look like? (Obviously before any new faces are brought in).  I'm gonna go with my gut instinct and assume we'll fall just short of going up this year. In which case I'd fancy the following squad to go a step further next year...

GK Carson, Roos, Mitchell

RB Christie, Sssewankambo

LB Fozzy, Olson 

CB(L) Shackell, Bucko

CB(R) Keogh, Rawson

DM Thorne, Hanson 

CM (Runner) Bryson, Hendrick

CM (architect) Hughes, Butterfield

WINGERS Camara, Russell, Ince, Another? 

CF Martin, Blackman/Another? 

I feel like a squad of this size would help to re create that feeling of team spirit that has been absent this season. It also gets rid of quite a few players who are not suited to our style of play. The only one I'm not entirely sure fits our best system of 433 is Blackman but I'm going to wait to see him play upfront with someone like Bryson in the team before I make that judgement. When he played up front centrally there was no one near him so difficult to see how that'd work because even Chrissy has struggled when no one has got close to him. 

What do you think? Is there anyone I've not included that you would keep? Anyone I've included that you wouldn't? 

Before mulling individuals I wondered what views there were on an optimal squad size? 

Last couple of seasons we were tight knit but exposed to injuries. Now we have cover and numbers but at the expense - seemingly - of some togetherness. 

Is there a happy medium? Eg a recognisable first choice 13-14 plus 3-4 genuine formation alternatives  (so of equal seniority) and then say 6-7 cover players being a mix of youth and players in twilight of their careers? 

35 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

25 appearances this season

He's not managed to last until the end of the game in nearly half of those 25 appearances (11 matches). And has missed 8 games totally through injury so far this season. He also hasn't managed to start more than 5 games in a row due to injury.

34 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Will be judged harsh but how often do you see yourself saying to yourself this during a game:

- Christie - just put your foot through it and clear it.

- Christie - First time cross needed, now you've lost it

- Christie - Momentum has just broken down with you again

- Christie - Stop taking everyone on and cross the effing ball!

- Christie - if you take someone on who goes in for the challenge, just chip the ball over them (Most are guilty of this)

- Christie - Get your head up man

Two years ago, Kieron Trippier had something like 20 assists in the season from right back for Burnley. He was super - not a glamourous player, not a multi million signing by Burnley, just a really good RB who could defend and new what to do when getting forward.

George Friend does a terrific job for Boro this season at left full back.

Christie I just never see becoming one of those players and for that reason, I'm out!

I can't say that I do. It's nice that he attempts to get to the byline before putting the ball in because christ knows our wingers aren't bloody doing that! 

He's young and will make mistakes but defensively I thought he'd had a good season... 

Short answer : get as rid of as many as possible! 

long answer : was just watching Eddie Howe pre Bournemouth v Arsenal talk about how they got Afobe but always made sure to keep the dressing room small because he knows that too many players is "toxic" to the dressing team; that players get very frustrated if they are not in the 11 or the match day squad. It was like he was specifically discussing how derby have become bloated and suffered but he was talking about how important for morale a small tightnit squad like Bournemouth has is, and how hard he works to keep it that way. 

I would cash in on Martin and Hendrick.

Think we have too many centre midfielders and could get decent money for Jeff.

Martin because again we should get a decent price and it does my nut in that we play to suit him. I'm pretty sure he is the only reason we play 4-5-1/4-3-3 

Both i don't think could cut it in the big time either, should we get there. However before shooting me down i think they have been fantastic servants for the club.

Archived