What we need

plymouthram

1. We need a fit George Thorne in the team for the rest of the season. 2. Take the captains armband away from Chris Martin.                         3. Make Shackell the captain.  4.Get Will Hughes in the team by the end of February.  

All this small list is possible and I am sure it would make us a better team. Any thoughts or other suggestions that would improve the Rams.    

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jezza said:

Dont rush Hughes back. we need better performances from midfielders that are fit,

He is back training, in another 5 weeks he could be having run outs with the u21s then 2 weeks later coming on off the bench for the first team. That's 7 weeks away, surely not rushing him back.

imo it's not always about personel and certainly not about an elastic armband. 

What I hate about football is the thing that most people love... transfer windows. 

(not especially aimed at Derby) I think it can be incredibly lazy and wasteful to look at your team, see where you are weak and go out and buy something that fills the gap. I like to see players coached, to improve weak areas of their game. It's not like a tool where if it doesn't work you chuck in back in the box and pick a different one. People can be coached. 

And it's like tonight. It doesn't matter what the formation, who plays, who wears the armband. If you stroke the ball like it's an expensive antique, if you don't respect a simple pass, if you don't do everything with the arrogance of a boxer, if you don't grab the bull by the horns and you stand about waiting for your moment to shine then you will struggle even if you're the best player on the pitch by a million miles. 

I didn't see any player out there do 90% of what they're capable of. That's not an ability problem. I don't know what the problem is. But I think you can only say a player isn't good enough when you've exhausted your coaching on him, when he's had a run in the team and you're getting his best and it's not good enough. 

That tonight... not a fair reflection of our team. Sold themselves short. Should be embarrassed. No need for drastic changes but certainly some conversations. 

Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi would have struggled to elevate that out there. 

Captains are affected, look at the difference with Keogh this season. When Baird had the armband, Chris Martin was doing the business. Shacks was captain with Burnley and it did not affect his game, some players do not perform to their best when given that task.  

11 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

He is back training, in another 5 weeks he could be having run outs with the u21s then 2 weeks later coming on off the bench for the first team. That's 7 weeks away, surely not rushing him back.

I think my point is we need better performances from the fit midfielders and forwards now, rather than expecting Hughes to come back in a minimum time frame to his creative best to boost the team.

11 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Captains are affected, look at the difference with Keogh this season. When Baird had the armband, Chris Martin was doing the business. Shacks was captain with Burnley and it did not affect his game, some players do not perform to their best when given that task.  

What task though? Leaders lead without the armband. Has Keogh improved because he's got rid of an item of a black band on his arm. Or because Shackell is a calm rock constantly covering him while he can be a bit more full on. Last season he was playing in an ever changing team. Once confidence starts slipping it effects people. His slipped. 

It's not fair of me to credit Shackell for Keogh's improvement. But like I tried to say in another thread, it's not an individual sport and covering the weakness of one player with the strengths of another is the aim of the game.

Shackell is everything Keogh isn't.  He's slower, worse on the ball, better in the air, more composed. Who fitted that out of Shotton, Whitbread, Raul? And that's just one partner. 

With or without the armband players will lead and look to certain "alpha males" for help

Wholly agree with Shackell as captain. You can tell he wants it, he's all over it every game. Encouraging and leading by example (although tonight not his best game). I can't remember seeing Martin trying to get other players going. Also, the bookings for dissent at Middlesborough and the push tonight are just not good enough.

I wonder what Clement saw in him? I'd say it's extremely unlikely that he will go for a third captain in a season though, unless Martin is dropped.

I don't think we need a change in players per se, but I think there are two things I find lacking at the minute.

1) a willingness to go kill teams off. No matter how poor we were tonight, we were ahead. We seem far too comfortable at 1-0 (on the pitch and in the stands!), and when it leads taking your foot off the gas, we look vulnerable. Somewhere we need someone who is willing to take the game by the scruff of the neck and go for the juggler

2) a willingness to concede 'smart free kicks'. I've thought this for a number of weeks, but it's something I noticed a lot of teams do. Notably boro! But if a team breaks on you, stop them before they get too deep in your half. My example tonight would be on the break when Reading scored. Their player ran through one or two of our players in the centre of the pitch when they got on the break. It just needed stopping early as they were quick on the break. Take a booking and get on with the game. I think it helps you control the game too as you are stopping their flow on the attack. Not the most moral thought I know, but sometimes you need to take one for the team.

Archived