Guillem Balague

Alph

3 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Of course it does, they have lived and breathed the game for years, been out there on the pitch, know what it takes and tactical knowledge isn't gained through FM or FIFA. 

Spend 20 years in any job and unless you've been asleep you should be an expert.

Zidanes record doesn't look that great, it's a PR appointment after Benitez trying to win the fans round. Would he have been given the job had he not been a Real Madrid legend?

No he wouldn't, just as Nigel Clough wouldn't have come here. 

But again, listening to dinosaurs talk about hoofing the ball into the box when they were last successful in the late 90s is a bit of joke. Football changes, people like Curbishley are so irrelevant. 

Derby were on tv the other week and the co-commentator spent half the game talking about how we needed to go long. Because obviously, that's something we do and we are good at doing. It's nonsense. 

Much prefer someone with some actual personality, creating a debate. 

Even the football writers show is better than these same old middle of the road players and managers, because even as journalists they stimulate some debate. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Srg said:

No he wouldn't, just as Nigel Clough wouldn't have come here. 

But again, listening to dinosaurs talk about hoofing the ball into the box when they were last successful in the late 90s is a bit of joke. Football changes, people like Curbishley are so irrelevant. 

Derby were on tv the other week and the co-commentator spent half the game talking about how we needed to go long. Because obviously, that's something we do and we are good at doing. It's nonsense. 

Much prefer someone with some actual personality, creating a debate. 

Even the football writers show is better than these same old middle of the road players and managers, because even as journalists they stimulate some debate. 

Yes tactics have changed, the game has changed but they will have followed it more than any of us over the years with that added professional experience.

We might look at Stuart Pearce as being a bit of a numpty but the best left back England have ever had and he's managed a professional football team to victory more times than any of us that take the piss.

These are all experts take nothing away from them, the real issue is personality here, they all come across as being boring and that's the problem. They have not made the transition into TV personalities, it's not in them to entertain in front of a TV camera like Kris Camara.

I bet if you sat and had a pint with Don Goodman he would have you nodding like a Churchill Dog.

Michael Owen isn't a dinosaur, on commentary he is so mind numbing boring to listen to, still has more knowledge in his pinky finger than any of us and away from TV and radio he could educate all of us.

Experts absolutely, personalities Zzzz

Oh and Balague is an agents dream, he will announce anything you tell him, he won't sit on anything and let it develop before asking for airtime on Sky.

All this talk of superstar players coming to the Premier League will be from agents, they know where the money is at and with this new TV deal the mega money will be at. 

New contract for you, new contract for you, you've just signed but new contract for yoooou

59 minutes ago, Daveo said:

How many professional matches have these lot played? They are experts compared to you

Just because they played the game doesn't mean that they know more than myself.  I'd like to say that I know more about football in foreign leagues than them purely because they think football doesn't exist outside of England. These guys get paid for their amazing analysis. I'd like to think that myself or any other member on this forum would able to analyse the game better than them, especially when their amazing analysis involves them saying this team played better than another because they won the game. Top quality analysis that.

13 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Yeah some of the stuff on the Bleacher Report is worth reading, even the football stuff, if you can cope with mentions of "false 10's", "midfield shuttlers" and "pivots".

That ain't a bad sports site at all, just stay away from some parts of the comments section though!

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Just because they played the game doesn't mean that they know more than myself.  I'd like to say that I know more about football in foreign leagues than them purely because they think football doesn't exist outside of England. These guys get paid for their amazing analysis. I'd like to think that myself or any other member on this forum would able to analyse the game better than them, especially when their amazing analysis involves them saying this team played better than another because they won the game. Top quality analysis that.

I think you don't know what foreign football they watch whilst sat at home like you do to be able to say. 

Saying that, I would bet my left testicle they all know more than every single member on this forum, including myself.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Not entirely sure why that matters though? Doesn't automatically make them expert speakers on the game, nor make their opinions on something they have nothing to do with more valid. 

Just a couple of days ago there was a story on Sky Sports website with Ian Holloway dismantling Zinedine Zidane and his credentials to be a manager. Left you thinking who the hell are you to say anything on how Real Madrid operate, let alone Zidane himself. Apparently Zidane should manage Stevenage like Sherringham. 

Ironically people like Holloway will be encouraging Man Utd to make Giggs their mamager. I also bet he wasn't moaning when Gary Neville was appointed the Valencia mamager.

13 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I think you don't know what foreign football they watch whilst sat at home like you do to be able to say. 

Saying that, I would bet my left testicle they all know more than every single member on this forum, including myself.

Oh they really don't my friend. I remember when ac milan played in the champions league, Jamie Redknapp said that he had never heard of Alexandre Pato. They really don't know much about foreign football at all. Even Joey Barton took the piss out of English football pundits because they know nothing about football outside of england. Funnily enough Joey Barton knows a lot about both domestic and foreign football. 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Oh they really don't my friend. I remember when ac milan played in the champions league, Jamie Redknapp said that he had never heard of Alexandre Pato. They really don't know much about foreign football at all. Even Joey Barton took the piss out of English football pundits because they know nothing about football outside of england. Funnily enough Joey Barton knows a lot about both domestic and foreign football. 

So because Redknapp didn't know, they all don't know?

Just linked you to Holloway, realising after the Spain World Cup the Spanish way was the way to go, went over for a tour, watched Atletico and Real train, saw the setups etc. Not a couple of minutes YouTube footage he was there, even talked about getting tickets for their next game.

You cannot say what all those pundits watch at home behind closed doors or the contacts they have which gives them access behind the scenes. You can't, the same way I can't say what colour underwear you're wearing now and what you've had for breakfast.

By this theory though Karanka and Clement shouldn't be top of the Champ?

Loads of coaches have more experience than them. And any top player who takes his badges should go on to be successful?

At some point both Jose and Clement must have been laughed at when going from translator/PE teacher to coaching.

Don't think football is a complex game. It's 22 bloke trying to smash a ball in 2 goals. Harder things have been learned. 

You could probably learn brain surgery from home if you wanted. 

Think the skill is making it all happen. And great players like Paul Ince who has played at every level and played abroad must know a thing or two about successful teams? Roy Keane?

Jose Mourinho can't draw on the experiences these guys had in many years playing the game.

90% of the pundits on TV know f**k all. 

Or if they do know anything, they don't have the intelligence to present their knowledge coherently. Instead they resort endlessly to cliché and half recycled soundbites.

It's seeping into the more respectable areas of journalism as well. The BBC's reporting, it's write ups and 'opinion pieces' in particular are poor now. Too much speculation, hype, poor research, poor grammar, statistical wankery...

I digress. The point is, football players are largely on the stupid side and as such don't deserve the platform afforded to them once they retire that allows them to lecture on the game.

That said, I have to question the intelligence of anyone who makes a habit of watching 'MNF' unless their team is involved and the viewing of Sky Sports News for longer than 15 minutes should be taken as the first sign of insanity, so maybe they are only providing the service the audience deserves?

Either way, to paraphrase Brian Clough, I suggest they "shut up, and show more football".

1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

90% of the pundits on TV know f**k all. 

Or if they do know anything, they don't have the intelligence to present their knowledge coherently. Instead they resort endlessly to cliché and half recycled soundbites.

It's seeping into the more respectable areas of journalism as well. The BBC's reporting, it's write ups and 'opinion pieces' in particular are poor now. Too much speculation, hype, poor research, poor grammar, statistical wankery...

I digress. The point is, football players are largely on the stupid side and as such don't deserve the platform afforded to them once they retire that allows them to lecture on the game.

That said, I have to question the intelligence of anyone who makes a habit of watching 'MNF' unless their team is involved and the viewing of Sky Sports News for longer than 15 minutes should be taken as the first sign of insanity, so maybe they are only providing the service the audience deserves?

Either way, to paraphrase Brian Clough, I suggest they "shut up, and show more football".

I think this is more the problem. I'm more on Daveo's side of this, they may not know the odd tid-bit we know or we may disagree with an opinion they have but generally they will know a lot more than all of us. 

36 minutes ago, Alpha said:

By this theory though Karanka and Clement shouldn't be top of the Champ?

Loads of coaches have more experience than them. And any top player who takes his badges should go on to be successful?

At some point both Jose and Clement must have been laughed at when going from translator/PE teacher to coaching.

Don't think football is a complex game. It's 22 bloke trying to smash a ball in 2 goals. Harder things have been learned. 

You could probably learn brain surgery from home if you wanted. 

Think the skill is making it all happen. And great players like Paul Ince who has played at every level and played abroad must know a thing or two about successful teams? Roy Keane?

Jose Mourinho can't draw on the experiences these guys had in many years playing the game.

Karanka 300+ games at professional level, expert.

Clement, coached at Chelsea, PSG, Real Madrid, manager at Derby, expert.

Daveo, online fans forum member that watches football on TV, not a expert.

Thats my theory.

I'm not saying people with more years experience are more experts. Simply those that have played at a professional level or worked in football for numerous years are experts of the game compared to us wally's that are sat home thinking we are.

Funny really because the same argument comes up after every game, do you even go to games? You can't comment because you didn't go. Yet we have so many foreign football "experts" on here.

Those that go to the game are moaning about the wifi signal in the ground because they want to check out their bets or FaceTime their missus!

You also have those that think football is all about getting pissed, singing songs and waving flags around, full fan init. Erm are you actually watching the game?

Got to question how much of the game they actually see. I went to Brighton game, great view of the pitch but too pissed on free San Miguels to really remember much of the game just that the Brighton players were a bunch of fannys rolling around. Someone with a live stream will know more what happened than I do.

I'm ranting here but basically we're all halfwit fans that think we know what we're talking about yet all sat at home behind keyboards mocking the real experts and out there actually working in professional football.

Accept you're a halfwit like I have and enjoy it. We know nowt and it's brilliant trying to argue with other people that think they are brilliant when we know jack :) 

2 hours ago, Daveo said:

Yes tactics have changed, the game has changed but they will have followed it more than any of us over the years with that added professional experience.

We might look at Stuart Pearce as being a bit of a numpty but the best left back England have ever had and he's managed a professional football team to victory more times than any of us that take the piss.

These are all experts take nothing away from them, the real issue is personality here, they all come across as being boring and that's the problem. They have not made the transition into TV personalities, it's not in them to entertain in front of a TV camera like Kris Camara.

I bet if you sat and had a pint with Don Goodman he would have you nodding like a Churchill Dog.

Michael Owen isn't a dinosaur, on commentary he is so mind numbing boring to listen to, still has more knowledge in his pinky finger than any of us and away from TV and radio he could educate all of us.

Experts absolutely, personalities Zzzz

We will never get the chance to prove whether or not we could do a better job though. I am sure there are a few on here that would be able to manage a football team, and be successful. You do not have to look to far to find managers that did not have a career as a professional footballer.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

We will never get the chance to prove whether or not we could do a better job though. I am sure there are a few on here that would be able to manage a football team, and be successful. You do not have to look to far to find managers that did not have a career as a professional footballer.

And ones that didn't play professional football worked up the ranks, did their coaching badges and proved themselves.

The money in football is ridiculous, if anyone seriously thinks they are an expert why not go out there and do the same, get your badges, start with local football and work your way up otherwise it's all talk...watching football on TV doesn't make you an expert. Working in football, does.

You don't see F1 fans sat in the stand claiming to be experts and claiming they can run a team. 

1 minute ago, Daveo said:

And ones that didn't play professional football worked up the ranks, did their coaching badges and proved themselves.

The money in football is ridiculous, if anyone seriously thinks they are an expert why not go out there and do the same, get your badges, start with local football and work your way up otherwise it's all talk...watching football on TV doesn't make you an expert. Working in football, does.

You don't see F1 fans sat in the stand claiming to be experts and claiming they can run a team. 

But they weren't always experts. They had enough about them even though they never played the game professionally, and it is perfectly reasonable to believe there are a few on here that would be able to do it as well.

I will probably be looking to manage a local team (Sunday mornings or summat) in a few years when I can't play any longer. With my team at the moment I already take charge of a few training sessions, managed the team when the manager has been away, so I do have some experience :p

3 minutes ago, rynny said:

But they weren't always experts. They had enough about them even though they never played the game professionally, and it is perfectly reasonable to believe there are a few on here that would be able to do it as well.

I will probably be looking to manage a local team (Sunday mornings or summat) in a few years when I can't play any longer. With my team at the moment I already take charge of a few training sessions, managed the team when the manager has been away, so I do have some experience :p

Until they go out there and do it it's all talk. There's more to football than just picking a formation and 11 players on a forum.

Make it professionally and you'll be the first expert on the forum.

2 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Until they go out there and do it it's all talk. There's more to football than just picking a formation and 11 players on a forum.

Make it professionally and you'll be the first expert on the forum.

I doubt I will make it professionally, in fact I know I won't. But that isn't to say I couldn't.

Archived