The run continues

Bris Vegas

Eight unbeaten is one run, and a decent one I may add.

But another is the fact that yet again we've been unable to win more than three games on the spin. We've won three successive games six times over the past 18 months, and failed to win the fourth one every time.

Maybe we won't need to win four or more on the spin to get promoted. But it's annoying all the same.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our game is very different to last season.

Last year we split the centre backs, pushed the fullbacks up and seemed to squeeze up into the final third. It worked until the opposition realised that we were easy to beat if they pressed the numpties at the back and forced us to make errors.

this season the back four are more disciplined. Butterfield and johnson drop deep to pick the ball up off the back four and get us going. The attacks are slower and less effective. But the defence is more secure.

we've scored 9 fewer goals than at this stage last year. However we have also conceded 8 fewer as well, and we actually have more points because we lose fewer games. 

This 2-2 with a grant howler could easily have been a loss last year. We're hard to beat.

overall - we've got to be pretty happy.

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Our game is very different to last season.

Last year we split the centre backs, pushed the fullbacks up and seemed to squeeze up into the final third. It worked until the opposition realised that we were easy to beat if they pressed the numpties at the back and forced us to make errors.

this season the back four are more disciplined. Butterfield and johnson drop deep to pick the ball up off the back four and get us going. The attacks are slower and less effective. But the defence is more secure.

we've scored 9 fewer goals than at this stage last year. However we have also conceded 8 fewer as well, and we actually have more points because we lose fewer games. 

This 2-2 with a grant howler could easily have been a loss last year. We're hard to beat.

overall - we've got to be pretty happy.

Happy with a draw away from home against a team unbeaten in 5?

Happy with 2nd in the league?

I'm afraid you must be confusing us with some other fans.

Come on Mel, cheque book out to sign 17 new players, and while you're at it I've heard Mourinho is free to replace Clement...

1 hour ago, robglosta said:

Has anyone? 

Boro managed 5 league wins in a row in september.

Hull did 5 in october.

Burnley managed 4 in august.

Brighton haven't managed more than 3 wins in a row.

Looks like we're due to go on a run next year then ;)

7 hours ago, Colm said:

Boro managed 5 league wins in a row in september.

Hull did 5 in october.

Burnley managed 4 in august.

Brighton haven't managed more than 3 wins in a row.

Looks like we're due to go on a run next year then ;)

Did those winning streaks end with draws or defeats?

Last night was the first game that we did not win after taking the lead this season. Fair result for me but making the substitutes at half time could have won us the game. if we get a draw at Boro then Clement, once again will be seen to have chosen the best option. If we lose at Boro then with hindsight, playing our best team last night would have been wiser. We must rest all the top 11 at Hartlepool.

We are now 4 points clear of third and 12 points clear of 7th. So play offs as a minimum a near cert already and we still be guaranteed to be in top two after Saturday even if we lose to boro.

one slight niggle is that we have drawn too many games when we should have won, and last night was another. Brighton at home, charlton at home and brum away too. But we will stay very hard to beat.

at the half way stage I wondered what could go wrong. An injury to shackell was high up my list of things you really don't want to happen. He is one reason I can't see a late season collapse like last year. So I just hope his injury is not a bad one. 

You could say though that we were fortunate to win against MK Dons, Reading, QPR and to get a point against Boro. Balances out over the season. Looking at the table its a 3 horse race for the top 2 that means if we end up in the play offs we have nothing to fear as we can beat any of the teams, although strangely the only team I would fear due to their experience and our recent matches against them would be QPR.

7 hours ago, tinman said:

Did those winning streaks end with draws or defeats?

Boro had a 5 game winning streak which ended in a 2-0 defeat to reading away, also a 4 game winning streak that ended 3-0 to hull away.

Hull's 5 game winning streak ended in a 1-1 away draw at bristol city and then a 2-0 loss to us ;)

Burnley's 4 game winning streak ended with a 0-0 draw away to us and then they lost 2-1 to reading at home.

4 minutes ago, Colm said:

Boro had a 5 game winning streak which ended in a 2-0 defeat to reading away, also a 4 game winning streak that ended 3-0 to hull away.

Hull's 5 game winning streak ended in a 1-1 away draw at bristol city and then a 2-0 loss to us ;)

Burnley's 4 game winning streak ended with a 0-0 draw away to us and then they lost 2-1 to reading at home.

Excellent stats that! 

7 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

You could say though that we were fortunate to win against MK Dons, Reading, QPR and to get a point against Boro. Balances out over the season. Looking at the table its a 3 horse race for the top 2 that means if we end up in the play offs we have nothing to fear as we can beat any of the teams, although strangely the only team I would fear due to their experience and our recent matches against them would be QPR.

Why were we lucky to win against QPR? Or to get a point against boro... I thought we had the best chances in both games. Can't compare that with say the charlton game which we dominated but still somehow didn't win. MK Dons was a strange one, but I think it's no coincidence that MK Dons can play well but still lose. 

Winning 4 or more in a row is not essential to win promotion. Our position is so good despite not winning 4 in a row because we don't draw many.

we had a 10 game unbeaten run that had just 2 draws in it. Lost one then have gone 8 games unbeaten and drew only 2 (and this unbeaten run hasn't ended yet)

Archived