Butterfield/Hendrick right wing?

Warren Hobhead

Some suggest we should play Ince inside, behind Martin. Whether that's a thing or not, what about Butterfield or Hendrick out there, wide right? Jeff's had success there with Ireland, and Butters looks decent when he's been pushed left or right in games. Could be a way to include both of them AND the undroppable (rightly or wrongly) Johnson and Thorne... no? 

Thoughts appreciated.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a difference between playing Hendrick or Butterfield as a right midfielder and playing them as right wingers. Wingers are in our formation effectively forwards. It's not their positions, and I'm starting to find these threads quite funny to be honest. We've got one of the best defences and one of the best attacks in the league, yet any time we don't smash someone it's straight to:

How about we play Carson as a 'deep inside left false wing forward'?

Clement has shown that he's tactically astute, and I'm sure he'll figure out a way to prevent teams from shutting Ince down as they've done recently. 

9 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Some suggest we should play Ince inside, behind Martin. Whether that's a thing or not, what about Butterfield or Hendrick out there, wide right? Jeff's had success there with Ireland, and Butters looks decent when he's been pushed left or right in games. Could be a way to include both of them AND the undroppable (rightly or wrongly) Johnson and Thorne... no? 

Thoughts appreciated.

*football manager hat*

To accommodate Ince inside you could play diamond:

Martin     Bent/Weimann
                           Ince
Johnson

*football manager hat*

To accommodate Ince inside you could play diamond which I don't particularly like, due to a lack of width:

Martin     Bent/Weimann
                                    Ince
      Johnson/Butterfield     Hendrick/Bryson 
                                 Thorne                   

Or a similar system to Hull:

Martin
                                        Ince
           Johnson Butterfield Hendrick Russell

But therein lies the issue - Russell is not a wide midfielder, and you lose Thorne. 

If there is any player who should be tried as an attacking winger imo it should be Bryson.

He runs all day, is good going forward, seems to have an understanding with Martin, and scores goals (I still can't believe we struggled for years for strikers to score a hat trick and a midfielder scores 2 in a season)

Bryson would be great up there.

10 hours ago, Albert said:

There's a difference between playing Hendrick or Butterfield as a right midfielder and playing them as right wingers. Wingers are in our formation effectively forwards. It's not their positions, and I'm starting to find these threads quite funny to be honest. We've got one of the best defences and one of the best attacks in the league, yet any time we don't smash someone it's straight to:

How about we play Carson as a 'deep inside left false wing forward'?

Clement has shown that he's tactically astute, and I'm sure he'll figure out a way to prevent teams from shutting Ince down as they've done recently. 

I'm a big advocate of playing round pegs in round holes, and I'm probably in the minority on this message board who like all of our players, didn't cry at an away point against a good Wednesday side and would be happy to just go to every game as I do and support them. 

However, this last few days after that away point against a good Wednesday side I've read so much on here from so many, suggesting we need to change/alter something. So I ended up letting that get the better of me and threw out a suggestion of my own - this thread. Hell, I never start threads. 

I will now retreat back into the wilderness and happily support the professionals in charge. :D

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I'm a big advocate of playing round pegs in round holes, and I'm probably in the minority on this message board who like all of our players, didn't cry at an away point against a good Wednesday side and would be happy to just go to every game as I do and support them. 

However, this last few days after that away point against a good Wednesday side I've read so much on here from so many, suggesting we need to change/alter something. So I ended up letting that get the better of me and threw out a suggestion of my own - this thread. Hell, I never start threads. 

I will now retreat back into the wilderness and happily support the professionals in charge. :D

You're absolutely not in the minority, just some people are louder than others. Well, at least in forum terms, they post more negativity. 

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If there is any player who should be tried as an attacking winger imo it should be Bryson.

He runs all day, is good going forward, seems to have an understanding with Martin, and scores goals (I still can't believe we struggled for years for strikers to score a hat trick and a midfielder scores 2 in a season)

Bryson would be great up there.

m8 id rather they got him fit as hes badly missed when there are games like forest away and sheff Wednesday away as the rest of the midfielders don't make the runs he does

I've always thought Bryson would be best playing as a CAM in a 4-2-3-1 directly behind Martin. Allows him to play off Martin, make his runs in behind as well as pressing high up the field when they have the ball.

I think it's important to remember that while 4-3-3 is clearly our best formation, we have lots of other options we can go for in games and if we have a rough patch.

BUT, we've had a brilliant start to the season playing 4-3-3, so there's no reason to change it after having one tricky draw where we still kept a clean sheet and could have nicked it.

Butters never. More he has the ball, better he plays. Classic central midfielder.

But I'd tempted to try Henrick on the wing. He doesn't have much of a footballing brain, especially if you compare him to our outher central midfielders. On the wing, his best skill, which IMO is dribbling on 1vs1, could still produce those moments of brilliance. And his worst habit, going missing, wouldn't harm our team as much as it does in the middle. Ince has been missing most of the season so we clearly can afford to do that.

Of course it would need hours and hours of practice and few practice matches but like I said, I would be tempted to try.

Archived