NFL 11 minutes of action in 3 hours - Is this true???

Day

Just now, GeneralRam said:

I used to have that very same opinion. I learnt the rules and I began to enjoy it. Now I would say it's my favourite sport.

Fair enough but I'm pretty certain that it's not going to happen for me. Really don't see any appeal in the game at all. Would much rather watch basketball or baseball if I had to choose to watch an American sport.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Kernow said:

Fair enough but I'm pretty certain that it's not going to happen for me. Really don't see any appeal in the game at all. Would much rather watch basketball or baseball if I had to choose to watch an American sport.

Which I think is fair enough, unlike a certain Mr @Daveo, who wouldn't even give it a a chance and begins to spout a ton of crap about it.

1 minute ago, GeneralRam said:

It's more like Rugby League than Union.

If you're bothered about actually trying to learn the game (Which you won't be, as you already have it in your head you don't want to like it) you can watch Red Zone on a Sunday night time. It's like  Soccer Saturday but they show all the important plays instead of just talking about it. That way you get all the action, no stop or starting and you can see why things happen :)

In other news I appreciate you creating this thread as I have just remembered to renew my UK NFL season ticket. 

I've tried to watch when it was on Channel 4 for that big one, I'll always try watching a sport before knocking it.

Same as rugby and cricket for that matter, found myself thinking get on with it every 2 minutes whilst they regroup. Feel like I'm getting ADHD. 

Watching this Red Zone sounds like it would give a false view of what the games really like.

1 minute ago, GeneralRam said:

Which I think is fair enough, unlike a certain Mr @Daveo, who wouldn't even give it a a chance and begins to spout a ton of crap about it.

Whoa there cowboy! Read my last post, I gave it a go, might be something on here with me trying to follow it!

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

got to say i think it is going to be my sport of choice over here....just got to decide on a team to support, its great when you can go into a new sport and pick any team you like.... might go for the Patriots just because everyone hates them..

Chooce ice hockey. Florida Panthers need more fans.

22 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

got to say i think it is going to be my sport of choice over here....just got to decide on a team to support, its great when you can go into a new sport and pick any team you like.... might go for the Patriots just because everyone hates them..

Tampa Bay Buccaneers as you're near there. Up and coming team (Although they were **** last season) with a good young QB and Doug Martin is starting to get into his stride. 

28 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I've tried to watch when it was on Channel 4 for that big one, I'll always try watching a sport before knocking it.

Same as rugby and cricket for that matter, found myself thinking get on with it every 2 minutes whilst they regroup. Feel like I'm getting ADHD. 

Watching this Red Zone sounds like it would give a false view of what the games really like.

Watching the Super Bowl is silly if you don't know what's going on. Awake at stupid o clock trying to work out what's going on is not the answer.

8 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

Watching the Super Bowl is silly if you don't know what's going on. Awake at stupid o clock trying to work out what's going on is not the answer.

How is it any different to a usual game? Can't tell you who were playing just that it was Colin Murray being an annoying presenter 

1 hour ago, Daveo said:

It's explosive though.

Do you not find football a bit dull as well? Yeah sure it goes on for 90 minutes of "action" but how much of that actually has any impact on the result, the majority is just changing possession in the middle of the pitch. If you're lucky you'll see three goals these days. In the 11 minutes of American football it's constant action and every play could have big repercussions on the result. 

I reckon you'd like ice hockey though, lots of end to end action, more goals than football and every now and then a big punch up.

8 hours ago, Daveo said:

So pretty much like rugby? A lot of fannying around with those line out things and group hugs, run or throw the ball get smashed into, rinse and repeat. Plus a ton of adverts thrown in.

More like two fat blokes playing chess, breathing oxygen then throwing buckets of iced water over each other.

10 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Someone tried to convince me on American Football by saying it was like a game of chess and every move is very tactically articulated and a huge part of the game comes from the analysis, but frankly I don't find chess that exciting. 

One of the things that puts me off is that the average lineman has the same amount of free will as a chess piece. I know there's a lot going on, but does it really take minutes at a time to remind the defensive line that they should stop the QB from chucking the egg?

Just now, Anon said:

One of the things that puts me off is that the average lineman has the same amount of free will as a chess piece. I know there's a lot going on, but does it really take minutes at a time to remind the defensive line that they should stop the QB from chucking the egg?

Well when you are trying to figure out if he is going to be chucking it or not, if so where and if not, where the run is going to, yes it can.

I couldn't really get into the NFL until I started watching it alongside American's who are die hard fans of a team. A similar set of criteria was necessary for the reverse, none of them were into football until they started watching Derby matches with me. Now many of them watch football whenever it's on, and I spend a good amount of hours watching last weekend's NFL games throughout the week. 

I don't know if that 11 minutes is true, but even if it is it doesn't really matter because the NFL is a different breed of spectator sport. Some people might spend their time staring at the screen (or pitch, if you're at the stadium) for 3 hours, but generally watching the NFL is more of a social experience. 

It comes down to a simple cultural difference and I don't think anyone's wrong for not understanding it or simply disliking it. But if you ever get the chance to watch it alongside someone who's genuinely passionate about it (and is someone you like) you should. Until that opportunity rears it's head, don't worry about it. And if after you've done that you still don't get it then you never will. I'm sure you'll get over it. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well when you are trying to figure out if he is going to be chucking it or not, if so where and if not, where the run is going to, yes it can.

Are you still only watching through Sky+ and fast forwarding through the ads?

Was 4 years ago mind you when you was just deciding to follow the Ravans.

Lookinh through the archives last night ;) 

5 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Are you still only watching through Sky+ and fast forwarding through the ads?

Was 4 years ago mind you when you was just deciding to follow the Ravans.

Lookinh through the archives last night ;) 

I tend to, but mainly because I can't really stay up til silly o'clock to watch. If there's a good Sunday evening game I'll watch that, or I'll just was Redzone if the live game isn't very interesting.

Been some pretty good televised games recently, particularly the game last night with the Packers winning on a hail mary and then the Ravens winning on Monday night on a kick return for a touchdown with 00:00 on the game clock.

Archived