Football league tie breaker

jagerbob

Can someone explain to me how, as reported in a few places, that a point for derby tonight would see us go top of the league?

A draw wouldnt give us the best goal difference, and unless its 3-3, we wouldnt even be top of the goals scored charts.

So how is league position decided when teams are on the same points?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joint-top can be the only explanation, but even this is wrong. You can't be joint anything in terms of league standings as that's why GD and head-to-head results exist to prevent such a thing.

Drives me mad when people say 'we're joint-top' or 'we're joint 6th'. No we're not, we are where we are in the table.

1 minute ago, AnimalisaRam said:

It goes points, goal difference, goals scored, goals conceded - then if ALL those are the same, I think its head-to-head record.

If goal difference and goals scored are the same then so are goals conceded, just saying :P

Thanks everyone for the breakdown. radio derby this morning, but also the football leagues preview article for the fixtures this weekend mention we 'could' go top with a point. I guess a point would see us go 2nd, and be automatic promotion places. I'l;l take that... also we are gonna win anyway, right?

Clearly you all missed the rule change in the summer -

6.9 iv. In the event of clubs being tied on points, the league position shall be decided by adding together the number of opposition managers/head coaches sacked in the immediate three days following a fixture. 

Archived