The Last Kingdom

Salford ram

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just finished the 9th and latest book .. They are all quite short .. Kinda 300 pages 

the books are great if you like Sharpe, heroes, wining against all odds, getting the girl, general daring do and chivalry. All mixed in with a thoroughly well researched history lesson as to how England became England .. You end up admiring King Alfred and what he did but you'd really prefer to be a Danish Pagan Viking as they had so much more fun ( unless they were getting their sword hands chopped off ) 

I just hope they follow it through until we see the older battle scarred Utrhed 

i understand that the series is basically the first two books ? .... So much happens after that.

A man needs a good ship, a good sword and a good woman .. It's boys own stuff at its best. 

Been looking for something for while. This is it I think. Enjoyed that.

Tried The Last Ship, Zoo and a few other bits including ZNation. Just doesn't leave me wanting more. This did. 

Like the first GoT. I prefer a solid start over a big bang and then try and explain why I should care. Give a bit of content first. All the best stuff (Breaking Bad, The Shield, Walking Dead, GoT, Boardwalk Empire) spends time showing characters instead of going for all the thrills to grab attention in the first episode. Watching Zoo and it's clear the characters are thought about far less than the plot. Doesn't work. 

Thought that was well balanced. Might grab the books.

Anyone read the The Grail Quest series? With Thomas Of Hookton? That's great. 

I still watch Sharpe sometimes too

Yes Alpha .. Really enjoyed the Grail quest. ... Wanted to take up archery afterwards ? Didn't though !

Have you read the one off he did Azincourt ? 

Ps  600 years this week since we thrashed the frogs .. And at an "away"game too 

Love all his books, except American civil war one, couldn't quite believe main character, grail series is good and Azincourt one off book very similar. Warlord chronicles excellent but Uhtred series is best for me, perhaps cause lived in Newcastle for a bit and been to Bamburgh castle. The way described in book and from visiting it you can imagine almost it was impossible to capture. Good boys own escapism, love it.

I have the war Lord chronically to do and haven't done the American ones yet but Utrhed is probably my favourite. I like Thomas of Hookton a lot but there is something credible about the way Utrhed has aged and become wise ( and grumpy and laconic and all the other stuff ) that makes him so thoroughly enjoyable. 

Yes Alpha .. Really enjoyed the Grail quest. ... Wanted to take up archery afterwards ? Didn't though !

Have you read the one off he did Azincourt ? 

Ps  600 years this week since we thrashed the frogs .. And at an "away"game too 

I haven't. I do have it though, is it as good?

With the Grail quest I initially made a mistake and thought that 1346 was a stand alone book like Azincourt and found it difficult to get in to as it kept making so much reference to Hooktons past. I gave up thinking Cornwell had lost it a bit. but  If you start at the beginning of the quest series it's great fun, by the time I had caught up I couldn't wait to dig out the abandoned 1346 and finish what was a throroughly good ripping yarn. Azincourt was an easy read / stand alone adventures of a Welsh Archer culminating in the big day. 

15 hours ago, Salford ram said:

Cracking second episode, finally meeting Alfred, funny in parts as well, what do you guys think ?

I'm a bit disappointed in the casting of Uhtred. Alexander Dreymon just doesn't seem either physically big enough or charismatic enough for me. That said, Sean Bean is physically nothing like Richard Sharpe in the books, but he 'owns' the role now.

Archived