How do you define a bad signing?

Mostyn6

not as ironic as you ignoring the point I am making in an attempt at your patronising pointscoring. Yeah, so I meant Ryan Noble, not Lee Naylor.

Really wasn't trying to point-score with that one mostyn, I think it does add to the debate to remember we made similar signings to the Clough years at the beginning of McClaren's time here. Naylor to name one, but an injury-prone Championship defender in Whitbread, a 26 year old with barely 100 career appearances on trial in the form of Simon Dawkins and Khalifa Cisse, it's not like we flicked a switch the moment we appointed the new manager. Investment came later.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what if you cannot afford chicken?

I would go for Quorn, can't believe we couldn't afford chicken in August but could in January. 

I would have a multiple of choices before I ever made it down to the Pot Noodle which makes the purchase a bad one if I never intend to eat it and just let the date on it expire.

The key to success and a healthy body is to avoid junk food and go for quality meat, ask your mate Troy the personal trainer, he'll tell you you'll get nowhere with pot noodles and avoid them unless you're happy with where you are 

I'd say from McClaren's signings that only Shotton and Albentosa have been poor . We needed a backup striker for Martin and that is where Best came in, we played a percentage of his wages so he hardly cost us and we had to have a striker who would be happy to sit on the bench. 

You could argue that Whitbread was poor, but he played alright for us and it was only injuries that stopped him from playing a lot more for us. 

I would go for Quorn, can't believe we couldn't afford chicken in August but could in January. 

I would have a multiple of choices before I ever made it down to the Pot Noodle which makes the purchase a bad one if I never intend to eat it and just let the date on it expire.

The key to success and a healthy body is to avoid junk food and go for quality meat, ask your mate Troy the personal trainer, he'll tell you you'll get nowhere with pot noodles and avoid them unless you're happy with where you are 

I'd argue that Best was less Pot Noodle and more 'Kebab'... There ARE good ones out there and some are even made from proper meat... And if you have it with fresh chilli sauce, good meat and no mayo actually not too dreadful for you... However there is also the possibility that (as with most kebabs) they are 30% dog, 20% cardboard and 50% pure fat... 

I am not sure I understand how the signing of a bad player can ever be anything but a bad signing.

it's about where you are at the time.

We once signed Theo Robinson, and he was a good signing (at the time), Nathan Tyson was also once our stellar signing. IN the current setup, neither would get near the bench.

One teams good player is another teams poor player.

During the Burley years, we signed dross like Jamie Vincent, Mo Konjic and Dave Walton. They were ALL poor players, but not bad signings.

I'd argue that Best was less Pot Noodle and more 'Kebab'... There ARE good ones out there and some are even made from proper meat... And if you have it with fresh chilli sauce, good meat and no mayo actually not too dreadful for you... However there is also the possibility that (as with most kebabs) they are 30% dog, 20% cardboard and 50% pure fat... 

More of a Dominos Pizza I would say, costs silly money for what it is when there are far better and tastier pizzas out there. There was a time when people thought a Dominos was great but it didn't last long.

Every so often you try one in the hope they have improved but it's still the same old crap that leads to disappointment, you question yourself why on earth did you go there. 

More of a Dominos Pizza I would say, costs silly money for what it is when there are far better and tastier pizzas out there. There was a time when people thought a Dominos was great but it didn't last long.

Every so often you try one in the hope they have improved but it's still the same old crap that leads to disappointment, you question yourself why on earth did you go there. 

the funny thing about this comment is that I do not doubt you could easily reel off a list of better and tastier pizza suppliers, but cannot name one realistic alternative to serve the same purpose as Best did.

the funny thing about this comment is that I do not doubt you could easily reel off a list of better and tastier pizza suppliers, but cannot name one realistic alternative to serve the same purpose as Best did.

Garlic bread.

Just a bit-part.

Darren Bent.

Signed for Brighton on loan in November, 4 months after us signing Best. 

Maybe we didn't realise he would be available at the time? Maybe it took Brighton to take the initiative to ask first. 

Theres one for you anyhow

Darren Bent.

Signed for Brighton on loan in November, 4 months after us signing Best. 

Maybe we didn't realise he would be available at the time? Maybe it took Brighton to take the initiative to ask first. 

Theres one for you anyhow

you mean Darren "cannot play the Martin role" Bent?

That's the one, didn't do too badly for us when he arrived here later in the season. May have give McClaren more time to find a plan B.

Throwing Best on the pitch was as much use as throwing a torn up matchday programme on. 

That's the one, didn't do too badly for us when he arrived here later in the season. May have give McClaren more time to find a plan B.

Throwing Best on the pitch was as much use as throwing a torn up matchday programme on. 

Not as effective as throwing a coffee cup on though.

I'm not going to argue with you on Best's contribution... I've already said this. I never expected anything better aside of maybe a header on target or maybe a goal if he'd played more.

What about simple player performance in all of this? The manager can only do so much. 

Everyone believes plenty of signings are good at the time, a few bad performances and suddenly it's a bad one. Players aren't robots. 

Take Weimann, everyone was buzzing when we signed him. Out of position or not, I think everyone expected more from him. And suddenly people start to tag him as a bad signing. 

I think if it's a player we know and a signing is judged as "good" at the time, ie fans want him and are excited, then that's it. It can't really be a bad signing, just the player not doing what they should be. 

Still a bad signing due to the player ending up going from a steak to a pot noodle. 

Lots of reasons why a signing can go bad, fault isn't always with the club but the player as well. 

With Best tho we knew he was a pot noodle and ended up being a pot noodle. Was it worth the risk? Would have preferred us to borrow some chicken instead

Still a bad signing due to the player ending up going from a steak to a pot noodle. 

Lots of reasons why a signing can go bad, fault isn't always with the club but the player as well. 

With Best tho we knew he was a pot noodle and ended up being a pot noodle. Was it worth the risk? Would have preferred us to borrow some chicken instead

because we had a pot noodle did it mean we were unable to but a chicken?  a poor player that effectively fills the place of a better one is a poor signing

Maybe not... But he can play the 'Bent role'... Which seemed to work very well against MK Dons where he was the direct replacement for Martin... 

Maybe (as you keep pushing Daveo on alternative options) you could let us know what semi-decent 'Martin-esque' player would join us KNOWING that they'll never get a game when Martin is fit... At least Bent knows that there are formations and situations where he'd be chosen to play... maybe even ahead Martin in some...

I think you've missed out the fact that the Chicken and Mushroom pot noodle was a passably acceptable drunken snack (at like 6 in the afternoon when you've been to the pub instead of lectures)...

So the big question is... What flavour?

Maybe not... But he can play the 'Bent role'... Which seemed to work very well against MK Dons where he was the direct replacement for Martin... 

Maybe (as you keep pushing Daveo on alternative options) you could let us know what semi-decent 'Martin-esque' player would join us KNOWING that they'll never get a game when Martin is fit... At least Bent knows that there are formations and situations where he'd be chosen to play... maybe even ahead Martin in some...

Cheron you miss my point clearly! Which is odd considering it's glaringly obvious. My opinion is that Best was the only option to enable us to offload Sammon, and provide 'target man' cover should Martin get injured.

Archived