Someone please tell me

Sam_DCFC_1994

You missed the absolutely gaping gap he leaves between midfield and defence... Just like for their goal. 

Back four were playing to deep leaving far to much space in between the lines, couldn't believe that this was not addressed during the first 70 mins, was better when we changed formation

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it was a game too soon.

Also the tactics were wrong in the first half. The play was too spread and all our players seemed isolated.

We play better when we're compact and that was the difference in the last 20. We squeezed, persisted and found the gaps. Quality shone through!

I think everyone is missing the point of @Mostyn6 posts.... The neutral wouldn't have even noticed who played their today and wouldn't have preconceived ideas...

tis a much maligned position

Even Clement with his interview on sky afterwards said the blame on their goal was the ball going across the pitch. So indirectly he is saying there was too much space in the middle.

Mostyn - I've given you one specific incident which appeared multiple times in the game. SRG said the same I think but you are saying no one has given you a specific incidence? I'm confused because I cannot be anymore specific.

The defence had to back off because the players were picking up the ball in the area Baird should have been covering. It's either get caught out behind or let them have chances from range.

I am not saying Thorne covers this ground all on his own, he doesn't. The difference with Thorne is that he dictates the game with the ball as well. His vision and passing is in a different class and that's why we love him.

I'm sorry but Baird was diabolical today. We gave them too much space behind our midfield and they exploted that. Baird's role or should I say that role in particular is to protect the back 4 and Baird didn't do that. We looked a lot better when Hendrick was brought on and when pushed Johnson back

For the best part of 70 minutes today, Ince and Martin were a waste of two shirts, and Russell and Butterfield probably deserved one shirt between the pair of them. Yet it is Baird who comes in for all the criticism. There are 11 players on the pitch, not 6.

Even Clement with his interview on sky afterwards said the blame on their goal was the ball going across the pitch. So indirectly he is saying there was too much space in the middle.

Mostyn - I've given you one specific incident which appeared multiple times in the game. SRG said the same I think but you are saying no one has given you a specific incidence? I'm confused because I cannot be anymore specific.

The defence had to back off because the players were picking up the ball in the area Baird should have been covering. It's either get caught out behind or let them have chances from range.

I am not saying Thorne covers this ground all on his own, he doesn't. The difference with Thorne is that he dictates the game with the ball as well. His vision and passing is in a different class and that's why we love him.

no, you given specifics of where the TACTICS created space, not where Baird's poor play created it. There were three central midfielders, all equally culpable of blame, yet you pick on Baird. As I said elsewhere, an unbiased neutral viewer would not have singled Baird out for criticism ahead of any other player.

Baird had a shocker today, no doubt about it, but there will be a fair few delighted to be apparently proved right after that performance having decided he's terrible based on very little evidence.

Unfortunately, I think the prospect of him ever recovering it for Derby has gone, because the boo boys decided after a backwards pass against Leeds (which the whole team had been guilty of, by the way) that he was rubbish. I think it's because these fans don't really know who to abuse half the time, so just decide to pick whoever wears the armband because they look different to the others. Not sure Keogh is playing significantly better this season - he's always been a good CB. But apparently he's a new player now.

Baird is a utility replacement for Eustace, and if he is given as wide a berth as Eustace was, he will have a part to play as a squad player this season. Unless we decide we want him to be fighting the opposition AND our fans by getting on his back.

Beginning to think we just shouldn't have a captain at all!

I had a couple of boo boys behind me. Jeez they're a strange breed! As for the captain Keogh did a fine job for 10 minutes.

no, you given specifics of where the TACTICS created space, not where Baird's poor play created it. There were three central midfielders, all equally culpable of blame, yet you pick on Baird. As I said elsewhere, an unbiased neutral viewer would not have singled Baird out for criticism ahead of any other player.

Completely disagree. One of either Butterfield or Johnson has to break forward to act as the second man closing down when there central defenders have it. They work in partnership with Martin depending on where the ball is. This is not done by Ince or Russell who stay with the full backs.

Baird (or the DM) is simply there to protect the back four and fill that space. He has no other defensive job other than picking up anything loose in the middle. I'm surprised you don't get this as normally your posts are pretty good. That is not a job Johnson or Buttfield are required to do in a 4-3-3.

An unbiased neutral viewer who is tactically aware would realise there was a huge gap which their front four were constantly finding and exploiting. Then the said viewer would ask whose job it was within our formation/line up to snuff that hole. That's when you would realise that it was Bairds job.

To the average viewer (and dare I say 90% of this forum) they will only really look at what's mistakes people make with the ball or missed tackles etc. The more astute 10% will look at what a player is doing away from the ball and this is just as important in football.

Archived