Maybe need to be a tad more direct

Ovis aries

Interestingly, talking with a manager last week he said it's so much easier to control a game without the ball, and he often coaches his team without the ball. Simplistically, if you move your players to one side the opposition are forced to go down the other; if you get your defenders to squeeze up, you force the opposition to play over the top (and so on). Your shape without the ball dictates how those in possession play against you.

All that said, I couldn't agree more with the need to ove the ball quickly, especially out of defence. Right now it seems that Keogh is the only one with the drive to be unpredictable and go forward, and play an incisive pass. Always on the front foot needs to become the motto for everyone...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I hear direct I think of long balls over the top to Martin and think of Big Sam which sends me into a keyboard smashing rage.

Tempo, it's all about tempo, moving the ball around quicker as we did under McClaren, I would wager a left testicle bet we dominated possession under the wally with the brolly in most games yet created more chances and scored more goals.

I don't want us to turn into the Arsenal of the Championship, look how great we are with 80% possession, come get the ball from us nah nah nah nah, yet barely threaten in their half and win nothing, **** that. 

Catch teams on the break, don't give them chance to regroup and get men behind the ball, hit them hard and quick leaving the defence out of position, leaving spaces for Ince to run into.

Come May let's not say didn't we look good but won jack ****.

When I hear direct I think of long balls over the top to Martin and think of Big Sam which sends me into a keyboard smashing rage.

Tempo, it's all about tempo, moving the ball around quicker as we did under McClaren, I would wager a left testicle bet we dominated possession under the wally with the brolly in most games yet created more chances and scored more goals.

I don't want us to turn into the Arsenal of the Championship, look how great we are with 80% possession, come get the ball from us nah nah nah nah, yet barely threaten in their half and win nothing, **** that. 

Catch teams on the break, don't give them chance to regroup and get men behind the ball, hit them hard and quick leaving the defence out of position, leaving spaces for Ince to run into.

Come May let's not say didn't we look good but won jack ****.

That's why you manage a forum and not a football team!

Its fine keeping possession, keep the ball moving, but we need to find Martin with his back to goal 30 yards out. We don't need the killer chip or hollywood pass, just get it into Chrissy to lay it off for midfield runners.

That then creates space and drags defenders out of position so when the ball comes flying into the box we have 3 or 4 running on to it.

That's why you manage a forum and not a football team!

Its fine keeping possession, keep the ball moving, but we need to find Martin with his back to goal 30 yards out. We don't need the killer chip or hollywood pass, just get it into Chrissy to lay it off for midfield runners.

That then creates space and drags defenders out of position so when the ball comes flying into the box we have 3 or 4 running on to it.

To be fair tho I run a bloody good forum

IMO there's not much wrong in our game at the moment. It's hard to be more direct against well drilled sides, it easily goes to hoofing and we certainly doesn't have forwards to that. Passing of course has been more slick and faster, but that's what Will Hughes brings...

How may deflected goals we have conceded already? and what is usually the season average?

A tad more direct?

Isn't that how CM scored his first goal?

Not sure way should be resorting to long ball to often , I think a bit of both, passing close football on the ground and when we having problems breaking down defences, then try a longer pass.

I am abit concerned that we have lost all the forward play we had under Mac, what we sorted out is that defence, we are not leaking goals like we did last season. The slick passing has gone, the pace has ghone and I think thats why Ince is struggling....

We only seem to put in good performances in only half of each game.

IMO there's not much wrong in our game at the moment. It's hard to be more direct against well drilled sides, it easily goes to hoofing and we certainly doesn't have forwards to that. Passing of course has been more slick and faster, but that's what Will Hughes brings...

How may deflected goals we have conceded already? and what is usually the season average?

Probably due to lack of closing down. We don't seem to attempt a tackle until it's on the edge of our own box.

Teams are scoring against us with less passing , and I meant more play like the first goal at Preston, and a Russell goal of a couple of seasons ago from an absolutely fantastic ball from Thorne.

Nothing wrong will passing the ball of the opposition a la Barca ,but lets have some explosive counter attacking a la Real.

There is lots of comments about possession and passing. The blogs headline was to be a tad more direct. What about us committing more to shooting at goal. With Bradley Johnson, Jake Butterfield, Tom Ince and Jonny Russell in the team surely it should be shoot on sight instead of trying to pass it into the box all the time. Lets mix it up and try and stop the opponents having easy plans on how to defend against us.

Archived