Iceland Makes Football History

ramit

With 2 games to spare Iceland has qualified for the Euro finals next summer in France becoming the smallest nation to do so.
 Coach Lars Lagerback is being hailed as a genius and rightly so, as his Iceland squad became the first team to beat Holland home and away in a major competition and first to beat them at their stadium.  They seem a broken team now unlikely to make it into the finals.  We hope NI and Wales join us there.  It's going to be some party.

http://www.supersport.com/Football/uefa-euro/news/150906/Iceland_qualify_for_Euro_2016

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleased for Iceland, it's good to see teams like that achieve something. Seeing Aron Gunnarsson's interview post-match was really good. Said something along the lines of when he started playing football, he couldn't even think to dream about Iceland doing this.

I watched their game last night - both sides were happy with a draw before they had even kicked a ball.

Yes, a slight drawback that the team played rather badly yesterday, but we don't mind too much, it was about getting across that line.

What's happened to the Dutch? Seem to have imploded. Only just over a year ago they were mullering Spain in the WC....

Their best players are past their prime and they obviously did not prepare the transition to younger players properly.  It could take them a few years before they are back to strength, shame as they often played eye catching football.  They can still make third place, but only if Turkey drops points.

Yes, a slight drawback that the team played rather badly yesterday, but we don't mind too much, it was about getting across that line.

Can't take anything away from them - now ranked above France.

Good for the international game to see one of the so-called "smaller" nations come to the fore. Hope they can make their mark next summer in the finals themselves.

Would rather it wasn't against England as that would merely prompt yet another outpouring of wailing, expert "solutions" and inactivity from the FA.

A number of the other minnows have been improving too - Faroes are not the whipping boys they once were.

Fantastic. It's on my to do list. 

I did it in 2008 and can recommend for a unique night out - never have I seen a pub crawl be part of the national culture (I think its called the rundtur, but apologies to Ramit for poor pronunciation).

Belly's Bar is a good laugh if it still exists. And a bubble in the Blue Lagoon cleared the hangover just nicely.

Gylfi Sigurdsson is one of my favourite players so I'm absolutely delighted for him. They've been getting closer recently so great to finally get over the line.

Gylfi is a magnificent player,  he's part of generation of players who have played together in the younger squads.  Still, Birkir Bjarnason is my favorite player in the team.

Gylfi is a magnificent player,  he's part of generation of players who have played together in the younger squads.  Still, Birkir Bjarnason is my favorite player in the team.

I know this has been raised before but it seems some informal scouting could be done by Rams fans abroad. 

Archived