Inflation, Inflation, Inflation

Rampage

Has the reality of an even bigger Sky Sports package for the Premiership starting next year triggered a large amount of Inflation in transfer fees in the Championship? Are Derby County and Middlesbrough the catalysts for this surge? Players that we thought were probably worth £1 million last year are now unavailable at £2.5 million. Could we have imagined, even three months ago, that Andre Gray would go to Burnley for £9 million? Is this good news or bad news for Derby County?  Buying players for the Rams looks more challenging because of their increased price but surely the value of Derby County players must have surged. How much would Ince cost now? What do you think? Is it going to make it a more difficult financial balancing act for the Rams or do we just go for it and believe that we can reap the benefits?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that we have to sign the players that we feel that we need and pay over the odds in the hope that they will increase in value. Stones cost £3 million from Barnsly in 2013 at the age of 19. Chelsea may have to pay £40 million to buy him two years later. If it all goes pear shaped then we will have to cash in on our better players to some degree.Is our squad worth more than we paid for it? I think so.Do the owners have the ability to hold their nerve? I believe that they do. Are they likely to be very patient with managers that do not produce the goods? I think not. Business is business.

Has the reality of an even bigger Sky Sports package for the Premiership starting next year triggered a large amount of Inflation in transfer fees in the Championship? Are Derby County and Middlesbrough the catalysts for this surge? Players that we thought were probably worth £1 million last year are now unavailable at £2.5 million. Could we have imagined, even three months ago, that Andre Gray would go to Burnley for £9 million? Is this good news or bad news for Derby County?  Buying players for the Rams looks more challenging because of their increased price but surely the value of Derby County players must have surged. How much would Ince cost now? What do you think? Is it going to make it a more difficult financial balancing act for the Rams or do we just go for it and believe that we can reap the benefits?

It's not just the Sky Sports package. They recently agreed the deal for the US rights and that doubled annually. It's set to increase significantly in most overseas markets. 

You are right, Uptherams. Up the Rams! :)

The £5.3bn domestic rights package is 65% higher than the current deal and the overseas rights have still to be agreed.

From the 2016-17 season relegated clubs will receive 55% of the equal share of broadcast revenue paid to Premier League clubs in the first year after relegation, 45% the following year and 20% in year three. Clubs relegated after a single season will receive 55% and 45% over two seasons with the third payment eliminated entirely.

Last year QPR earned £65m during the season for finishing bottom. The equal share that season was £54.1m 

As I already mentioned, the US rights are 100% higher. Other international deals are being finalized. 

Next season, finishing bottom in the PL by my reckoning is going to net a club in excess of £150m in the form of payments for that season and two years worth of parachute payments. Let's just say the equal share for 2016-17 increases from £54.1m to £70m. Just the equal share and parachute payments for a promoted club from this season, finishing bottom in the PL next, will be £140m. The other two payments a PL club receives are merit based (position in the league) and The Facility Fee (how many times you were on the Tele). 

Link for some of the info: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/02/parachute-payments-clubs-relegated-premier-league

The £5.3bn domestic rights package is 65% higher than the current deal and the overseas rights have still to be agreed.

From the 2016-17 season relegated clubs will receive 55% of the equal share of broadcast revenue paid to Premier League clubs in the first year after relegation, 45% the following year and 20% in year three. Clubs relegated after a single season will receive 55% and 45% over two seasons with the third payment eliminated entirely.

Last year QPR earned £65m during the season for finishing bottom. The equal share that season was £54.1m 

As I already mentioned, the US rights are 100% higher. Other international deals are being finalized. 

Next season, finishing bottom in the PL by my reckoning is going to net a club in excess of £150m in the form of payments for that season and two years worth of parachute payments. Let's just say the equal share for 2016-17 increases from £54.1m to £70m. Just the equal share and parachute payments for a promoted club from this season, finishing bottom in the PL next, will be £140m. The other two payments a PL club receives are merit based (position in the league) and The Facility Fee (how many times you were on the Tele). 

Link for some of the info: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/02/parachute-payments-clubs-relegated-premier-league

Good work, Uptherams. Abundant evidence that we need to splash the cash now and reap the benefits if possible. Unbelievable amount of cash really.

As an armchair fan can I just say that I hope BT Sport goes the same way as Setanta and we go back to a Sky Sports monopoly. 

I would love the BBC to take the rights but let's face it, they are more interested in celebs prancing around in Strictly Come Dancing.

The costs to watch football is ridiculous now they are spread over numerous channels and packages. I thought by taking BT Internet I would get their sports channels free, I get one, BT Sport 1, and the robbing gets have now stuck Champions League football on a dedicated channel. I can also only watch via their app or charge me £4pm to let me access through Sky box.

Have Sky lowered the price of Sky Sports now they have lost the CL? Have they ****, they've increased it if you're on Virgin!

Twenty's plenty and all on one package, Sky Sports, their coverage is far better than BT and it's long haired fairy tosspot Savage

To be fair I've been saying this for a while now. 

It's a free market and you will only get a player these days most of the time for what they are perceived to be worth by the selling club. 

Its a fact of life. 

Bargain basement has gone

Just go for it and reap the benefits. 

Good work, Uptherams. Abundant evidence that we need to splash the cash now and reap the benefits if possible. Unbelievable amount of cash really.

On the Guardian link it stated; ''Shortly after the Premier League announced the deal for domestic rights, it revealed that 20% of that would be invested in facilities for grassroots football, solidarity payments to lower-league clubs, encouraging participation, as well as education and support for disadvantaged groups.Championship clubs currently receive £2.3m a season with League One clubs getting £360,000 a season and fourth-tier clubs being handed £240,000. Under the new arrangements the solidarity payments will be based on a percentage of a third-year parachute payment with Championship sides getting 30%, League One clubs 4.5% and League Two 3%.''

I have no idea how much this will be. As this season progresses I would imagine that more details will be released. Right now as it says, Championship clubs get £2.3m a season. But as it also states, 20 percent of the £5.6bn (£1.87bn a season) which is £373m a season, will go on facilities for grassroots football, solidarity payments to lower-league clubs, encouraging participation, as well as education and support for disadvantaged groups. As it currently stands, the amount paid to league clubs per season totals around £69.9m a season. So for me, I would not be shocked if the payout to Championship clubs at least  doubles from £2.3 to in excess of £5m. They could quadruple the fees paid to clubs so that every Championship club receives £10m a season and still have £100m to spend in the other areas they intend. 

Perhaps someone has sat down with all the clubs and let them know informally not only how much promotion is now worth, but also how much more each club will receive just for being in this league. 

Archived