Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I'd be against that idea. Imagine finishing 4th but then a lower league team wins the fa cup and steals your spot. Not very good is it? You also have the issue of the opposition faced on route to the final. The only difficult game Wigan had was man city in the final.

Probably because the better sides weren't taking it seriously and they'd already gone out.

For me, it's the 'Champions' league - don't really know how 2nd-4th are Champions exactly. The FA Cup winners have at least won something.

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Probably because the better sides weren't taking it seriously and they'd already gone out.

For me, it's the 'Champions' league - don't really know how 2nd-4th are Champions exactly. The FA Cup winners have at least won something.

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

If you win the fa cup then you go into the europa league which sees if they are ready or not to go into the champions league. The winner of the europa league goes into the champions league. It's fine as it is. If you only had champions then you'd have massive clubs like real madrid missing out on the competition.

33 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If you win the fa cup then you go into the europa league which sees if they are ready or not to go into the champions league. The winner of the europa league goes into the champions league. It's fine as it is. If you only had champions then you'd have massive clubs like real madrid missing out on the competition.

The whole concept of the Europa League is currently a joke. An effective semi-subsidiary cup for sides that fail in the Champion League. Why do sides that go out of the CL deserve to go into the EL? 

A Champions-only CL - yes please. Madrid miss out, don't care. Man City miss out, don't care. I rarely watch the CL these days. If I wanted to watch Barcelona vs Madrid then I'd just tune in to La Liga. If I wanted to see Liverpool vs Chelsea, MOTD is on every week. 

You can argue that the competition is better 'technically' because you get the better players playing in it, but then you can make the same argument for the World Cup - why not let Spain B compete as they're technically better than Angola. Undermines the point/spirit of the competition for me, and reflects that it's just another example of football whoring itself out to television.

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Well you're entitled to your opinion but in the champions league you want the best teams and the best players. I would find it a joke if the champions of norway made it in over real madrid for example.

You're not getting the best teams though. The 5th placed side in Spain, England, Italy or Germany would also likely be better than the Champions of Norway. Where do you draw the line? At the moment, it's a completely arbitrary line that's drawn.

If we wanted the top 32 teams then we'd just pick them from the UEFA club co-efficients and forego qualification altogether.

I get your position, I just don't agree with it. Moot point anyway because there's no way on earth UEFA would go back to the old way.

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

Forestieri sent off for diving - on the one occasion he didn't.

Ridiculous decision, especially given the fact that Dawson was apologising to the ref for the foul!

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ridiculous decision, especially given the fact that Dawson was apologising to the ref for the foul!

Hilarious. Dawson gets up accepting the yellow card and ref pulls red for foresteri think refs should have to watch replays in an interview after the game and defend there decision

7 minutes ago, harryram said:

Hilarious. Dawson gets up accepting the yellow card and ref pulls red for foresteri think refs should have to watch replays in an interview after the game and defend there decision

Absolutely.

Instead he will be demoted to League One so he can ruin their games aswell.

Archived