Live Game Thread 15/16

sage

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Apology accepted, because there have been one or two. 

Is it wrong to say he has the potential to be world class? Well, the same has been said of Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Calum Chambers and I feel none are at that level.

Stones is 21, playing for Everton. Why will he become world class? What attributes does he have to suggest he will go on to be world class? I mean, it's such a lavish statement and the fact it's been repeated on more than one occasion it seems like pundits are now trying to convince themselves it's the truth.

What does Stones have now that Phil Jagielka didn't have at 21? Other than a better passing ability? Is that the only reason why people think he will become world class? Because he can pass, whereas others such as Tony Adams, John Terry and Sol Campbell in years gone by didn't quite have this attribute?

Again, it's all about opinions and I'll happily hold my hands up if I'm wrong. But I just don't see it.

Just another point, and I haven't read back properly, but if someone is saying 'has the potential to be world class' and 'is going to be world class' I apologise, but to me it's equally a lavish statement. I mean, on the basis of that, you could argue the entire England U21 team has the potential to be world class.

And another point. Ross Barkley is in the same boat for me. I just don't get it.

None of those are ever going to get to that level. Can't say I've ever seen Callum Chambers touted to be world class mind. Walcott has been destroyed by injuries, Ox is young but he's not turned out as fruitful as we all would like just yet, still time for him. Walcott a perfect example of how things go wrong, or not necessarily wrong but not fulfilling his potential.

You could list any young player of a certain calibre and throw them under the "potential to be world class" banner because realistically if they get the right coaching, learn what they're being taught, gain experience, confidence, a little arrogance and get that bit of luck then sure, there's nothing stopping X player from being world class. How often do players tick all those boxes though? Few do, many don't.

It'll only be the truth when John Stones is a world class footballer.

I personally think he's got a bit more about him than just being able to pass and I've not seen him loads either. I'm no scout, coach or even involved in football but I think a few things he has are very rare in English centre backs. It's not even his passing that's the big thing for me, it's his composure at times - I haven't seen many England players of his age, especially defenders, that have such a calmness on the ball. That alone stands him out from most centre halves. Then there's the range of passing, the dribbling, bringing the ball out of defence creating space in midfield, his mobility and pace.. all that most of those defenders, who were very good defenders, never had. His defending is good, obviously he needs to learn when to play and where but that will come with age and experience. My biggest problem with the Stones argument is the claims that he is a poor defender and has no defensive attributes - that's what's grated me.

Whoa! 

I dunno about Chambers, Shaw or Jones but leave Walcott out of this. He's one of the most overrated players. Lucky to play for Arsenal and will never play for a better team. I wanted him to go through with it when he mentioned leaving. Go on then Theo. See what else you get. Lucky boy to play for a club that can afford the luxury of a wasteful, wasteful player. He's 5mph away from playing in the Championship.

I'm the founder and only member of the "Next Thierry Henry?LOL" club.

Ox seems to be the exact same player he was 3/4 years ago? Shame. Liked him. 

Barkley one of my favourite British footballers. And Ramsey at Arsenal.

Remember when every time Bale played for Spurs and they'd never win? Oh how people laughed :)

I had a mate who said Ronaldo was **** when he signed for Utd, I told him he was going to be class and he laughed in my face.

Makes me laugh though, kids get some continental football on BT Sport and buy a copy of Football Manager then they think they are some kind of football intellectual. I remember Serie A on channel 4 when I was a kid, playing Champ Manager 97/98 in my room. Most boring football I ever watched, loved it when Utd destroyed Juve in the Champions League. Played that horrible high tempo English stuff as well, terrible according to football hipsters.

On 28 January 2016 at 12:16, McLovin said:

I honestly don't mind that you're stalking me. It's like stalking your ex girlfriend, you know it's wrong and it makes you feel like **** inside but you can't help it.

Am I the only one that finds this a little scary. Like when someone says 'that tastes like ****!' And you believe that they might actually be speaking from experience. 

23 hours ago, McLovin said:

No has still answered my question, what has Stones actually done to say that he has world class potential? Is it because he is English and can pass the ball? Spain have hundreds and hundreds of players who can do exactly the same. You know what I can pass a football too, I guess I'm the new Xavi/Iniesta.

Maybe they can pass a ball, but I'm not convinced that those hundreds of Spanish players can be English quite as well as Stones can. 

17 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Remember when every time Bale played for Spurs and they'd never win? Oh how people laughed :)

I had a mate who said Ronaldo was **** when he signed for Utd, I told him he was going to be class and he laughed in my face.

Makes me laugh though, kids get some continental football on BT Sport and buy a copy of Football Manager then they think they are some kind of football intellectual. I remember Serie A on channel 4 when I was a kid, playing Champ Manager 97/98 in my room. Most boring football I ever watched, loved it when Utd destroyed Juve in the Champions League. Played that horrible high tempo English stuff as well, terrible according to football hipsters.

Nowt wrong with AC Milan back in the day!?

Know what you mean though. 

Barcelona trailing Atletico by a goal to nil after 20 mins. Despite having 72% possession, Barcelona haven't had one attempt on goal against the 3 by the opposition. Does this mean stats can often be a load of baloney when being used as a guide to how effective a team is on any given day?

Archived