Diabetes type 1

Ashz09

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry to hear that, there is a history of diabetes in my family as well. If you don't mind me asking,what is your regular diet? You should reduce your carbs intake.

We are aware that some people with Type 1 diabetes may choose to reduce their carbohydrate intake in order to manage their glycaemic control, reduce their insulin intake or to lose weight. Diabetes UK does not recommend this because there is currently insufficient evidence to show whether this is effective in managing Type 1 diabetes in the long term. We also do not know whether it may have long term detrimental effects on health. People who choose to reduce their carbohydrate intake should speak to their healthcare professionals for specific advice as they will need to adjust their insulin. It is important to be aware that because a low carbohydrate diet tends to be higher in fat and protein, this may impact on long term cardiovascular and kidney health so these need to be monitored as part of your annual review.

Just think it's best for Ashz09s lifestyle choices to be left with the professionals ..................... And Dr Daveo!

Stay out of booze and take care of your disease. Same to you @Cisse and rest of you who are suffering from it.

Knew one fellow who didn't take it seriously. Twice I saved his life, third time I wasn't around. May him rest in peace.

I'm at the stage of eating quite a bit of carbs etc due to being told to chill out a bit on the sugar but to see how my sugar levels go. To be fair I love my bread and pasta etc heard they raise blood sugar thoe...

Hard to balance everything looking forward to hearing from the dietian. Get a better understanding of my blood levels etc I guess.

At the weekend I eat a whole pizza hut pizza. Sugar levels went up to 27% highest they have ever been.. learnt my lesson there!

I'm at the stage of eating quite a bit of carbs etc due to being told to chill out a bit on the sugar but to see how my sugar levels go. To be fair I love my bread and pasta etc heard they raise blood sugar thoe...

Hard to balance everything looking forward to hearing from the dietian. Get a better understanding of my blood levels etc I guess.

At the weekend I eat a whole pizza hut pizza. Sugar levels went up to 27% highest they have ever been.. learnt my lesson there!

there must be something in that, I had a test for diabetes when I went for my MOT last week and I currently have zero activity and a highly stressed job and yet my glucose test came in low, I am intolerant to wheat and gluten (I think !!) so avoid wheat and glutinous products, I was passing blood two weeks ago which made me jump into action relating to my health. :(

There's a shed load of carbs in a pizza, also when you eat a curry bet you have at least half a plate of rice - I do ;)

If you have a traditional English meat & 2 veg meal most of your cabs will come from say a couple of spuds.

You will get used to sussing out the amount of carbs in what you are going to eat.
When they get you onto the 4 injections a day routine, you will be using a fast acting insulin just before you eat and once you have built up your experience levels you will be able to alter the amount of insulin you give yourself to counter the amount of carbs you are eating.
That's where the flexibility of using the 4 injections routine pays dividends.

Obviously its best to avoid stupidly sugary foods, but spuds, rice, pasta and bread are a good source of carbs just so long as you don't eat a massive amount every meal :(

We are aware that some people with Type 1 diabetes may choose to reduce their carbohydrate intake in order to manage their glycaemic control, reduce their insulin intake or to lose weight. Diabetes UK does not recommend this because there is currently insufficient evidence to show whether this is effective in managing Type 1 diabetes in the long term. We also do not know whether it may have long term detrimental effects on health. People who choose to reduce their carbohydrate intake should speak to their healthcare professionals for specific advice as they will need to adjust their insulin. It is important to be aware that because a low carbohydrate diet tends to be higher in fat and protein, this may impact on long term cardiovascular and kidney health so these need to be monitored as part of your annual review.

Just think it's best for Ashz09s lifestyle choices to be left with the professionals ..................... And Dr Daveo!

Interesting because a doctor suggested to my family member to reduce their carb intake because their insulin tablets weren't working properly and now they are no only longer diabetic. The doctor said that he was shocked but impressed to see the effect of this because my family member's sugar levels are now better than the average person. 

Archived