Gaming

SaintRam

3 hours ago, mrdave85 said:

I dunno, I've not been sold on any Nintendo console since the N64. This just seems like another "gimmicky" attempt to be different, rather than try to compete with Sony or Microsoft. 

That's going to need some kind of battery too. 

Nah, think they have learnt from the two Wii attempts at being different.

Nintendo know their stuff when it comes to handheld devices, they are the only ones to sell in large numbers over and over again and continue producing games for them. With Switch they are combining the home console market and the handheld market which can only be a good thing with regards to game quality and console lineup. No point having two devices with a handful of games on each when you can have one console that does the job of both and have the entire game collection.

Tbf Nintendo havent competed with Sony or Microsoft for years. The N64 was the last effort really, since then they have done their own thing and relied on their catalogue of games and fanbase.

3 hours ago, Simsy said:

Any one playing FUT on Fifa 17.

Done any squad building challenges? I've done a few but found they have been a waste of time and coins so far but I can see the potential. The best players I have seen was with the 2 rare golds you can get in exchange for 11 gold players but these were Mata and Handanovic.

Also anyone qualified for the weekend FUT Champs League? Lost in the final on pens last week to qualify :(

Yeah am playing on both PS4 and XB1.

Have done a number of SBC's, was easier on the mobile app before the game released as prices werent so bad, problem now is people are making teams on FUTHead that conform to the various challenges and the traders are cleaning up the players on the market and selling them for vastly inflated prices. 350 coin players are going for 10k.

Some of them are definitely worth it though like the Liga Nos one as the player card you get is damn good as is the coin bonus (which is on top of each individual bonus for completing a single team)

19 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Nah, think they have learnt from the two Wii attempts at being different.

Nintendo know their stuff when it comes to handheld devices, they are the only ones to sell in large numbers over and over again and continue producing games for them. With Switch they are combining the home console market and the handheld market which can only be a good thing with regards to game quality and console lineup. No point having two devices with a handful of games on each when you can have one console that does the job of both and have the entire game collection.

Tbf Nintendo havent competed with Sony or Microsoft for years. The N64 was the last effort really, since then they have done their own thing and relied on their catalogue of games and fanbase.

Yeah I had that thought after I posted, they do go after a whole different market of gamers. I'm not convinced on the whole returning to cartridges thing either. I'll reserve judgement, but for now I'm happy with my PS4, until Project Scorpio gets fully unveiled next year. 

5 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Cartridges are cheap, have a bigger volume and read faster than disc. Whats not to be convinced about? The only reason they moved away from cartridges was the memory wasnt available in the size needed at a viable cost. 

Basically this. Cartridges are a strength, not a limitation of this design. No moving parts is probably the big thing for Nintendo though, disk drives in portables has always been a bad idea. 

From what I can tell, it seems that nvidia and Nintendo have teamed up to basically make the second generation shield, branding it as a Nintendo console. With nvidia's portable and scalable graphics know how and Nintendo's ability to make games that aren't garbage there may be something to do. There's definitely a lot of unanswered questions at this point, not least of which is the battery life. There's no point to a portable console that has a 2-3 hour battery life. 

It seems they were trying to emphasise that this console will launch with some games as well. Many blame the Wii U's weak start, and fall from grace, on a combination of it's lack of clear marketing (Wii U as a name led some to believe it was an add on to the Wii) and lack of a strong launch lineup, they are at least hitting that first point hard this time. 

30 minutes ago, Albert said:

It seems they were trying to emphasise that this console will launch with some games as well. Many blame the Wii U's weak start, and fall from grace, on a combination of it's lack of clear marketing (Wii U as a name led some to believe it was an add on to the Wii) and lack of a strong launch lineup, they are at least hitting that first point hard this time. 

Any lineup that contains a Zelda game, a Mario game and Mario Kart at launch or shortly afterwards is ok in my books! I would buy one just for those games

Seriously, I haven't touched my DS in years, but I walked into Sainsburys and saw a stand with 2DS and games such as Zelda and Mario and was tempted to buy one then and there. Will power prevailed, no time at the minute. Although Christmas may break me...

24 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Any lineup that contains a Zelda game, a Mario game and Mario Kart at launch or shortly afterwards is ok in my books! I would buy one just for those games

Seriously, I haven't touched my DS in years, but I walked into Sainsburys and saw a stand with 2DS and games such as Zelda and Mario and was tempted to buy one then and there. Will power prevailed, no time at the minute. Although Christmas may break me...

So far we know it's got Zelda: Breath of the Wild as a launch title, and that's looking mighty impressive. Everything else is currently suggest and rumour. The trailer hinted at a new Mario Kart (new mechanics, King Boo) and a Mario game, while there are rumours that Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS would receive a Switch port at launch or soon after (there were job listings for something referred to as 'Smash Bros. 6' shortly before the release of Smash Bros. for 3DS as well, which adds to that rumour). If they can get those out near release they should do well for themselves. 

On 21 October 2016 at 15:57, RicME85 said:

Yeah am playing on both PS4 and XB1.

Have done a number of SBC's, was easier on the mobile app before the game released as prices werent so bad, problem now is people are making teams on FUTHead that conform to the various challenges and the traders are cleaning up the players on the market and selling them for vastly inflated prices. 350 coin players are going for 10k.

Some of them are definitely worth it though like the Liga Nos one as the player card you get is damn good as is the coin bonus (which is on top of each individual bonus for completing a single team)

Thanks I will give that a go then!

Ok Battlefield, why is there no option to customise your load outs without launching a game?

Wasting game time sat there.

After a game, why do you have to wait for the next round to load up before you can quit out the lobby.

5 hours ago, David said:

Ok Battlefield, why is there no option to customise your load outs without launching a game?

Wasting game time sat there.

After a game, why do you have to wait for the next round to load up before you can quit out the lobby.

You don't, on the last bit. At least you don't on PC - maybe you have to on Console.

Also I think there's a companion app that lets you edit your loadouts - but I play the big slow modes so I don't mind changing during the game. 

I notice the ui isn't great for a controller (I grab my controller whenever I'm piloting/driving a vehicle). 

On 24/10/2016 at 15:42, SaintRam said:

You don't, on the last bit. At least you don't on PC - maybe you have to on Console.

Also I think there's a companion app that lets you edit your loadouts - but I play the big slow modes so I don't mind changing during the game. 

I notice the ui isn't great for a controller (I grab my controller whenever I'm piloting/driving a vehicle). 

After the update, swear it wasn't there before but a quit option briefly shows, 5 seconds if that once you first hit the menu screen.

The UI is terrible, always has been. Shouldn't need an app to customise load outs or take yourself or sat in the menu screens whilst the game is ongoing. 

Not really seeing what is so great about the game either tbh, just another reskinned Battlefield game, impossible to play solo, need a full squad to have any impact on the fight. Even tdm can be a nightmare with snipers hidden behind some rock or bush. 

Be nice if they had a few more game types/playlists with smaller teams and maps to try and draw in the more casual players. 

On 10/18/2016 at 11:14, David said:

Sums up any offline football games/modes. Where's the fun in playing AI when you could play other people? 

I'm now getting sent off at every game for Newcastle just to go through and watch the cut scenes. No doubt I'll get tipped for an England call up still. 

Spoken truly like someone who plays on amateur :p

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

What does everyone think of the Journey on Fifa? I'm really getting into it, shame it takes ages for you to get into the starting 11.

I posted this some pages ago. I really enjoyed it! It's that good most seem disappointed it ends after a season. Hope I am not spoiling anything.

I went out on loan and when doing a job there got recalled and never got out the first team since then.

Who have you signed for? I was West Ham.

15 hours ago, r4derby said:

Mafia 3...how's it playing? And is it worth getting now or waiting for a small price drop? @Srg @SaintRam

Haven't played it myself, never played a Mafia game but from what I've read there are still issues and bugs. It's seen as a better experience on console than PC but still not optimal on console either.

People who've looked past that have said the story's OK - gameplay's alright and there are some interesting features.

I'd wait for a price drop on a game that has so many articles about whats wrong with it - just as a rule.

15 hours ago, David said:

After the update, swear it wasn't there before but a quit option briefly shows, 5 seconds if that once you first hit the menu screen.

The UI is terrible, always has been. Shouldn't need an app to customise load outs or take yourself or sat in the menu screens whilst the game is ongoing. 

Not really seeing what is so great about the game either tbh, just another reskinned Battlefield game, impossible to play solo, need a full squad to have any impact on the fight. Even tdm can be a nightmare with snipers hidden behind some rock or bush. 

Be nice if they had a few more game types/playlists with smaller teams and maps to try and draw in the more casual players. 

I think anyone who was saying it was anything other than a reskinned battlefield game is a fool - modern shooters are never going to divert from what they know. 

I do think it's an improvement though in multiplayer (wasn't a fan of BF4/BF3 really - despite playing 30-40 hours or so), the biggest factor being that vehicles are now weaker which has always been a problem with battlefield.

Might again be a PC/Console thing (last BF game I played on console was Bad Company 2) but it's quite easy to play tactically in a squad full of strangers on PC, as long s the leader gives orders.

Big fan of the new Operation game mode, like a bigger better version of 'Rush'.

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think anyone who was saying it was anything other than a reskinned battlefield game is a fool - modern shooters are never going to divert from what they know. 

Call of Duty took a lot of stick for not innovating yet they have brought in a whole new movement system which changed the whole feel of the game.

What exactly is new with Battlefield?

Not suggesting the should bring in wall running and calling it a reskinned game isn't a bad thing, same as Halo or whatever, so many games pump out new titles without bringing much to the game.

You could put me on Battlefield 1 and tell me it's a DLC addon for 4 and I would believe you 

18 minutes ago, David said:

Call of Duty took a lot of stick for not innovating yet they have brought in a whole new movement system which changed the whole feel of the game.

What exactly is new with Battlefield?

Not suggesting the should bring in wall running and calling it a reskinned game isn't a bad thing, same as Halo or whatever, so many games pump out new titles without bringing much to the game.

You could put me on Battlefield 1 and tell me it's a DLC addon for 4 and I would believe you 

CoD wasn't particularly innovative - there were plenty of games that did the wall-running and jetpacking before them. Imo it made CoD worse anyway.

I'm not a big BF fan, and I don't think they've innovated enough. But their games have improved recently, if only on a technical gauge.

I don't really like the "modern shooter". For me they're all far too similar and have been for a very long time. CoD, Crysis, Halo, Titanfall, BF etc. are all similar games who just recycle each other's ideas (the first wall-running shooter was Brink, a notoriously bad game but the gimmick saw me drop 30+ hours into it). I'd say CoD is the only one that doesn't tick a box that others dont tick, but that isn't saying much - and just my opinion.

I play Battlefield a minor amount - each game sees me put 30-40 hours over its entire existence because me and my friends enjoy very occasionally jumping in and pretending to be all tactical in a good looking game - none of the other 'modern shooters' offer that, and we aren't hardcore (or good) enough to play true tactical shooters like Squad.

As of right now, BF1 is my favourite battleield - because the strength of vehicles has been reduced, the destruction engine has been polished a bit and it's been given the skin of a time period I'm very interested in and enjoy (despite it being horrendously inaccurate).

CoD4 remains the best "modern shooter" though, and the last one I'll play for any meaningful amount of time.