Team Selection at Northampton

Ramble 66

I found the team selection somewhat suprising at Northampton. After only 1 pre-season game I was expecting 45 mins for each player again to get equal game time and build fitness levels. I can think of no reason why 7 got just over an hour and 2 got 75 mins.  Why the imbalance and what was the thinking behind it? 

Martin obvisously needs looking after with him returning from injury and with Albentosa on the way out I can understand the decision over Keogh playing the full 90. (might he follow Albentosa out shortly).  But why were Ince, Thorne, Bryson, the excellent Ssewankambo, Shotton, Warnock, Hanson and Sammon given such little game time? I would expect 4 of them to start at Bolton so surely match fitness is vital.

The silence over captaincy from Clement is also suprising and a little disappointing. Does it hint at Keogh leaving?  If Baird is to be captain I would assume Clement will play him whenever fit, but surely not ahead ahead of Thorne in the holding role. 

Obviously it's  still early days but I feel we are a long way from being able to 'hit the ground running' especially after such a lacklustre performance yesterday.  Although I felt concern this time last year after disappointing performances against Nuneaton and Burton  I still feel there are a lot of questions to be answered. Clearly 'time' will tell but 'time' is runnig out. Only 20 days till Bolton.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found the team selection somewhat suprising at Northampton. After only 1 pre-season game I was expecting 45 mins for each player again to get equal game time and build fitness levels. I can think of no reason why 7 got just over an hour and 2 got 75 mins.  Why the imbalance and what was the thinking behind it? 

Martin obvisously needs looking after with him returning from injury and with Albentosa on the way out I can understand the decision over Keogh playing the full 90. (might he follow Albentosa out shortly).  But why were Ince, Thorne, Bryson, the excellent Ssewankambo, Shotton, Warnock, Hanson and Sammon given such little game time? I would expect 4 of them to start at Bolton so surely match fitness is vital.

The silence over captaincy from Clement is also suprising and a little disappointing. Does it hint at Keogh leaving?  If Baird is to be captain I would assume Clement will play him whenever fit, but surely not ahead ahead of Thorne in the holding role. 

Obviously it's  still early days but I feel we are a long way from being able to 'hit the ground running' especially after such a lacklustre performance yesterday.  Although I felt concern this time last year after disappointing performances against Nuneaton and Burton  I still feel there are a lot of questions to be answered. Clearly 'time' will tell but 'time' is runnig out. Only 20 days till Bolton.

You start off doing 45 and 45 and then move on to 60 and 30 with a rotation as to who gets 60 minutes.

Martin and Thorne weren't fit enough for 45 minutes.

There is no reason to name a captain yet. He wants to see who fits the bill. 

I really don't think we're going to hit the ground running this season, if anything it's going to take a bit of patience from us fans and let the momentum build. My biggest concern is all the fair weather fans that are now snapping up season tickets, expecting to see us walk the league will be the first ones to start moaning!

its only 3 weeks until the season starts. Id expect a bit of rotation to build minutes on the pitch during the trip to Holland with the first choice 11 being used in the first 60 -70 minutes in the friendlies on return to blighty.

But what's the first choice XI for Bolton? Even Clement doesn't know yet. They need to rotate on the tour.

Even without further signings any of the following could easily be starting against

Grant, Carson. Christie, Shotton, Forsyth, Keogh, Pearce, Thorne, Baird. Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Russell, Weimann, Ince, Bent and Martin.

Of the first team squad only the following are very unlikely to start the first game (for various reasons)

Ssewankambo, Hanson, Warnock, Buxton, Sammon, Dawkins

TobyWanKenobi

Players start out with 45 minutes and then many of them start building to doing more and more minutes. Obviously not all players can increase the amount of minutes each game as you can only have 11 on the pitch at once.

You have to remember that all players recover at different speeds and adapt at different rates. The coaching team will have carefully planned how many minutes each player gets in preparation for the new season. Hence why the results don't matter that much just yet.

They probably know the starting lineups and times of the substitutions for each game of the Holland tour already, barring any injuries.

But what's the first choice XI for Bolton? Even Clement doesn't know yet. They need to rotate on the tour.

Even without further signings any of the following could easily be starting against

Grant, Carson. Christie, Shotton, Forsyth, Keogh, Pearce, Thorne, Baird. Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Russell, Weimann, Ince, Bent and Martin.

Of the first team squad only the following are very unlikely to start the first game (for various reasons)

Ssewankambo, Hanson, Warnock, Buxton, Sammon, Dawkins

I did say to rotate on the tour and then on return start with the first 11 (I think by then after 5 friendlies PC will have an inkling about his first choice 11)

thought we played 3 in Holland my bad. Still after 4 of the six friendlies he should have an idea of his first choice team.

You would hope so, at least have the formation and 8 to 10 definite starters. It will be complicated by signings, the return of Dawkins and players approaching full fitness such as Martin and Thorne. 

Archived