what if derby moved to new ground

B4ev6is

I know this will probley never ever ever ever happen again. But would you have it designed like the old bbg ground with a capecity of around 40k 4 side ground have maybe3 tier stand with 2 teir rest of the stand.

But all of theis in theory but pp is fine just as it is.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New modern stadia is fine, even when generating an atmosphere. It doesn't have to be a historic, compact ground like the Baseball Ground or Selhurst Park for instance.

The Germans develop a right racket in modern designs, and they all work. Even Napoli's atmosphere is fantastic, and they're miles away from the pitch due to a running track.

If we ever got established in the PL and had to leave the Ipro, a similar version of Juventus' 41,000 all-seater stadium would work well.

Agree with Bris. Football has to move with the times and the facilities in the ground are much more important to the club rather than the design and atmosphere unfortunately.

Anyone who says that the atmosphere at at iPro will never match the Baseball Ground were obviously not at the Southampton play off match, the ground was literally rocking that night.

Loss of atmosphere is more down to terraces not being allowed and the modern day football fan being more interested in Facebook/Twitter and what is happening in other matches rather than getting behind their own team I'm afraid.

I know people like to call the modern 'bowl' types soulless and identical to all the rest but it's not the design of the ground, it's the fans in it.

Don't see us ever needing a new ground. iPro has expansion potential to about 45,000 and we'll never get any more than that through the gates.

As I said all in theroy

I was at southamption game I remmber it well and boro 98 to 99 season it was rocking as well that night too.

Took the old man to that Boro game, and if it's the one I'm thinking of (Wanchope sent off) then it was an amazing atmosphere. He described it as "tribal". I agree it's the lack of terracing and close quarters standing that has done most to kill the atmosphere at all grounds, but it shows that when the right conditions come together, the iPride can be rocking too.

I remember rumours some years ago of committing to the extension of the East Stand to take the capacity to 42,000 as part of the negotiations to get Martin oneill. I hope that the board have an eye on increasing capacity if we become established in the premier league. We have the support and would regularly get 35,000 plus IMO 

i was at BBG when we had 42,000 against Spurs. It was just as busy at other games, but rumour had it Cloughie had switched a turnstile off to have cash to use for transfers! 

Archived