Kelle Roos - New Contract

Cam the Ram

Goalkeeper Kelle Roos has been offered a new long-term contract by Derby, Press Association Sport understands.

Roos is into the final 12 months of the deal he signed when joining the Sky Bet Championship club from non-league Nuneaton in January 2014.

The Dutchman, who came through the ranks at PSV Eindhoven, impressed for the Under-21 side in his first few months with the Rams and made the breakthrough into the first-team frame during the last campaign.

He made five appearances last season, all of them coming in the cup competitions, keeping three clean sheets.

Roos was set to provide stiff competition to Lee Grant for the number one jersey next season but the departure of Steve McClaren, and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele, has seen the 23-year-old slip down the pecking order at the iPro Stadium with n ew head coach Paul Clement, appointed last month, signing former England international Scott Carson.

If Roos signs the new deal an option available to Derby could be to send him out on loan to gain more first-team experience.

The Rams will be hoping the promising keeper does put pen to paper as he turns 24 at the end of May, meaning the club would not be entitled to any compensation for the player when he becomes out of contract next summer.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-rams-want-roos-stay-173619971--sow.html

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goalkeeper Kelle Roos has been offered a new long-term contract by Derby, Press Association Sport understands.

Roos is into the final 12 months of the deal he signed when joining the Sky Bet Championship club from non-league Nuneaton in January 2014.

The Dutchman, who came through the ranks at PSV Eindhoven, impressed for the Under-21 side in his first few months with the Rams and made the breakthrough into the first-team frame during the last campaign.

He made five appearances last season, all of them coming in the cup competitions, keeping three clean sheets.

Roos was set to provide stiff competition to Lee Grant for the number one jersey next season but the departure of Steve McClaren, and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele, has seen the 23-year-old slip down the pecking order at the iPro Stadium with n ew head coach Paul Clement, appointed last month, signing former England international Scott Carson.

If Roos signs the new deal an option available to Derby could be to send him out on loan to gain more first-team experience.

The Rams will be hoping the promising keeper does put pen to paper as he turns 24 at the end of May, meaning the club would not be entitled to any compensation for the player when he becomes out of contract next summer.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-rams-want-roos-stay-173619971--sow.html

Just beat me to it. Damn you! Good on Kelle tbh.

Should go out on loan to somewhere in which he will be the number 1. It's about time he started getting some experience outside of U21 matches. Only just turned 23 so 2 or so seasons out on loan now will do him a world of good. Plenty of time to make himself our number 1. 

I would like to see him play in the championship next season, He's definately ready but is currently behind Grant/Carson for some reason! 

Explain to me why he is ready??

I went to all but 1 of the games he played last season, he was hardly tested, but when he was tested he looked shakey to say the least. Kicking is poor.

I would like to see him play in the championship next season, He's definately ready but is currently behind Grant/Carson for some reason! 

Not sure if he's ready though. Full season will do him good somewhere like Blackburn or League One imo.

Not sure if he's ready though. Full season will do him good somewhere like Blackburn or League One imo.

Certainly not a championship club imo.

I think league 2 may be his level at present. 

Certainly not a championship club imo.

I think league 2 may be his level at present. 

Maybe or maybe not. Still think worth a try in Championship though.

He had a few good performances last season in fairness, I liked the look of him. I know he had one bad game, can't remember when, but the rest were typically pretty good. 

At 23, we should be expecting him to play in the Championship now. I think the fact we've offered him a contract looks to be a good sign, but the Carson signing must have been a blow for him. 

He's more likely to leave. Rotting away in the reserves is doing him no good. 24 isn't young for a keeper. He needs to be getting first team football somewhere or he'll become a Dutch Lewis Price.

Explain to me why he is ready??

I went to all but 1 of the games he played last season, he was hardly tested, but when he was tested he looked shakey to say the least. Kicking is poor.

He's played a couple of games and looked solid, made a few decent saves. So really he can only get better with first team experience and I think he's good enough for the championship! 

Archived