Chris Martin

DcFc Dyycheee

Since when has Martin, indeed any player, guaranteed us 20+ goals a season? He has got 20 goals in each of the last 2 seasons, but has never achieved that previously with any club.  

I think there is so much speculation on this thread, that presumes that PC is going to continue to play the same way -style and formation - as Mac did.    If we are, then keeping Martin, and playing to his evident strengths, is a very good idea. But that style hasn't got us very far in the last 2 seasons in reality, and therefore I do wonder whether PC is proposing a major change.  Personally, I think McCormack is a far better player than Martin, but I would agree neither McCormack or Rhodes are suited for, or could play as well, in the "pivot role" that Martin has played for the last 2 years.

Got to disagree that the recent style hasn't got us anywhere. The season before last it got us from mid-table to the play off final. Last season it got us into the automatic promotion places until the loss of Martin through injury. McClaren didn't adapt resulting in the team being under unnecessary pressure too many times. Martin is the best player I have seen in that position at Derby since John O'Hare; maybe even better, certainly more prolific. 

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any bid over 7 million and we should sell i think we have anough now without him , thinks hes great but 7 million is alot of bread

I don't see anyone else in our current squad who can hold into the ball. Why would we sell him?

Anyone else notice bryson giving ince the finger? 0.23 sec in

Yes and that's very rude the club should SELL him ASAP.

I did couch my reply by saying, hasn't got us anywhere in REALITY.  I have enjoyed our style and formation, but in terms of the ultimate goal it has delivered sweet FA.

The next big purchase, and there clearly is one as even Mel seems to want to promote the news, will tell us whether we are playing differently next season, and whether Martin fits a formation change.  The purchase of Weimann in particular, together with bringing Bent and Ince back too, makes me think we will not be having a "pivot" this year, or if we do it will be in midfield.

I like Martin, and he is a very good and essential player in the role we have given him over the last 2 years. I think he is similar in some ways to Paul Goddard who similarly was brilliant at bringing others into play. 

I wonder why Bryson did that, it was clearly behind his back and wasn't in the form of banter...

It's stupid is it? No one else would do that right?

I have a feeling Bryson wont be around much longer.

Hope so!!!!

Archived