The current squad (and what are we missing?)

IlsonDerby

So after our flurry of early signings, I felt like our squad may be getting too large. I decided to check the options for each position. So here is our squad as of this morning. Actually not as big as first thought. 

Goalkeepers: 

Carson, Grant, Roos

Defence  RB:

Shotton, Christie, Ssewankambo

Defence CB:

Pearce, Keogh, Buxton, Albentosa, Rawson

Defence LB:

Warnock, Forsyth, Lowe

Midfield DM:

Thorne, Baird, Hanson

Midfield CM:

Hughes, Bryson, Hendrick, Dawkins, Bunjaku 

Attack: 

Martin, Bent, Weimann, Russell, Bennett, Thomas, Calero, Santos, Sammon 

Those highlighted by bold text are those who, in my opinion, are more likely to end up on loan or only involved in cup games rather than regularly in the match day 18. I'd like to see our youth given a chance and we don't know what PC's philosophy will be regarding youth but going on last season it is expected those highlighted will go out on loan. 

What do people think of the current squad and where do people see us needing to add to further? 

I believe our squad is looking very healthy except for the wider forward roles, for which (if we assume Weimann has been bought as an out and out striker) we have only Russell (I am certain Dawkins is a CM and so have put him there rather than as an attacker). 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah they'll be playing for under 21 games anyway.

What would be more beneficial for them? Under 21s or a loan. I'm unsure. Obviously it has to be at a club with similar playing style as our own. 

Anyway the question of the article was what do you think of the current squad and where do you feel that we need to strengthen further???? 

What would be more beneficial for them? Under 21s or a loan. I'm unsure. Obviously it has to be at a club with similar playing style as our own. 

Anyway the question of the article was what do you think of the current squad and where do you feel that we need to strengthen further???? 

CB CM 1 more winger (after we get Incey) and CDM think that's about it.

I think I read on the MM thread that club policy would in future mean more 18 year olds playing for the U 21s. Makes your question interesting.

I'm worried we might sign too many players, especially if all the rumours turn out to be true.

With an excessively sized squad you end up with some players dissatisfied and with many new players they might not 'gel' immediately.

I just think we need to be careful what we wish for.

I'm worried we might sign too many players, especially if all the rumours turn out to be true.

With an excessively sized squad you end up with some players dissatisfied and with many new players they might not 'gel' immediately.

Sleep easy, don't be worried!! I am sure that they have a plan. 

Competition for places is a good thing. Its a fresh start for everybody players and manager, I cant imagine he saw much championship football over in Spain. Plus there will still be outgoings once he's chosen his squad in pre season.

Players are going to leave though aren't they? Can't see nobody being sold. Seems like Derby have got stuck in early. I'm sure bids will come in when activity picks up. So many players on holiday.

Archived