Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2.5m for russell? Is he really half the player that downing is? I Think not.... he is a game changer.... can create something out of nothing.... gathered he should score more but he Makes alot for martin.... wouldnt entertain anything less than 3.5m.... there are players abroad who can replace him for less than 2.5m.... but as we have seen in the past..... that is much more of a risk

No rumour mate, a conversation.

Shacks due in and possibly JR out...........I have not heard about a replacement winger if JR does go, but I dare say phone calls are already being made, it really depends on Cardiff doubling their money. Slade i was informed has said JR is the main player he wants this summer.........

No rumour mate, a conversation.

Shacks due in and possibly JR out...........I have not heard about a replacement winger if JR does go, but I dare say phone calls are already being made, it really depends on Cardiff doubling their money. Slade i was informed has said JR is the main player he wants this summer.........

Sorry but I don't believe you. He would have written an article and posted it on WalesOnline if he'd heard something as big as that, not just tell some random Derby fan. I take it you live in Wales then? 

2.5m for russell? Is he really half the player that downing is? I Think not.... he is a game changer.... can create something out of nothing.... gathered he should score more but he Makes alot for martin.... wouldnt entertain anything less than 3.5m.... there are players abroad who can replace him for less than 2.5m.... but as we have seen in the past..... that is much more of a risk

JR is a good player, not a great player, he makes some assists [thats his job], but he doesnt score enough goals, I think he is a player to bring on as sub just to give us a more attacking edge. But if he doesn't fit into PC game plans is its good business to take whatever they think is enough to say yes to.

Remember he is a squad player, is £2.5m. a good deal for a squad player?

I don't know...............

JR is a good player, not a great player, he makes some assists [thats his job], but he doesnt score enough goals, I think he is a player to bring on as sub just to give us a more attacking edge. But if he doesn't fit into PC game plans is its good business to take whatever they think is enough to say yes to.

I'd say not. He plays in a position where injuries are most prevalent. If there are players in front of him, they will get injured for brief periods, and if he isn't here who fills in?

Russell coming into the team to cover for our starters is not much of a drop in quality. The next best option would be a chasm. 

Sorry but I don't believe you. He would have written an article and posted it on WalesOnline if he'd heard something as big as that, not just tell some random Derby fan. I take it you live in Wales then? 

I am not concerned whether you believe me or not.

What matters is how much Slade wants him and by all accounts he does.

What actually speaks volumes here is why we said the Cardiff the valuation is miles apart........

What actually speaks volumes here is why we said the Cardiff the valuation is miles apart........

That doesn't speak volumes at all. In fact, a Derby source did not say those words, it was the Telegraph in a "I understand the valuations are miles apart" situation, which is just extra flavour to the story.

He's not going to be sold for what we value him at, they'll have to go at least £1m over it, and if their initial offer wasn't even half our valuation they're never going to be able to tempt Derby to sell a player who is such a key figure. OK, sure, he may not be a starter on the pitch, but he's clearly very important to the team off the field. 

You are talking so much rubbish. You've got to the point where you don't know what to say any more so you've made up some rumour that you spoke to Terry Phillips of WalesOnline and he decided to give you, a random Derby fan, the scoop on Cardiff's big signing story before he put an article up in the paper.

Slade can want him all he wants. I want Messi but I'm not going to get him. 

And as SaintRam said, that quote you keep bringing up wasn't from anyone at Derby, just a journalist guessing. Yesterday at the Derby game Mel Morris was in attendance and a Derby fan asked him about Russell, his response "Don't worry, he isn't going anywhere." But we should believe your conspiracy theories over the chairman of our club?

super rams just need to come out and say he doesn't like Russell.

Give your head a shake and read the threads before making a statement.

WE didn't!

Wales Online are the ones saying 'miles apart'... Wales Online... who are the source close to Cardiff... NOT to Derby...

I re-iterate... DCFC saying "he's not for sale" is miles apart from whatever they offer... so if Wales Online are quoting 'miles apart' this is a perfectly feasible position...

He is also a lot younger than downing as well

I think Russell will make the same impact for us this season that Matt Ritchie had for Bournemouth last season. There was a lot of speculation about Ritchie's future, just like Russell but Ritchie stayed and was one of Bounremouth's best players.

It's a little like the Shackell situation. Why would we be interested in selling a good player to a potential rival, if it weakens us and strengthens them? However, it would be madness to suggest that Super Johnny Russell, good as he is, is the best in the world in his position; it's always possible to improve and strengthen the team. There was a time I'd have been horrified at lettting Jamie Ward go, and to the Gumps(!), but now I'm not really fussed. If the money is genuinely right I'd sell, but my word it would have to be good.

Interestingly I think JR has looked good in his few appearances on the international stage which makes me think he is likely capable of playing at a higher level. While we appear to have got Weimann for a bargain price, Premier League forwards don't come cheap. We can afford to take the view that, from our perspective JR is a future Premier League forward so there's no point selling him unless it's for silly money. For me, £2,5m is not silly money - it would be a sensible price if we needed the cash and didn't think we were going to compete, but were safe from relegation. Silly money to a rival would be £8m+. By slapping that sort of price tag on him it says he's part of our ambitious plans and not for sale.

But, back to my opening sentence, if I were Burnley that's also what I'd be saying to Sam Rush.

It's a little like the Shackell situation. Why would we be interested in selling a good player to a potential rival, if it weakens us and strengthens them? However, it would be madness to suggest that Super Johnny Russell, good as he is, is the best in the world in his position; it's always possible to improve and strengthen the team. There was a time I'd have been horrified at lettting Jamie Ward go, and to the Gumps(!), but now I'm not really fussed. If the money is genuinely right I'd sell, but my word it would have to be good.

Interestingly I think JR has looked good in his few appearances on the international stage which makes me think he is likely capable of playing at a higher level. While we appear to have got Weimann for a bargain price, Premier League forwards don't come cheap. We can afford to take the view that, from our perspective JR is a future Premier League forward so there's no point selling him unless it's for silly money. For me, £2,5m is not silly money - it would be a sensible price if we needed the cash and didn't think we were going to compete, but were safe from relegation. Silly money to a rival would be £8m+. By slapping that sort of price tag on him it says he's part of our ambitious plans and not for sale.

But, back to my opening sentence, if I were Burnley that's also what I'd be saying to Sam Rush.

I think 3m for a 31 year old with a year left on his contract is them saying the same as we might about JR.  If Shacks wants to come here, 3m is win win all round. 

Archived