Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No simply stating a fact 17 goals in 87 games is poor even for somebody that has come from the scottish leagues.

You might find that JR does not fit into PC plans for the future, after all he is the new coach and he does have to improve on what Mac did  -he will have his own ideas on who he wants and who he doesn't.......

I'm getting the distinct impression here that you're in fact a Forest fan coming on here to wind us up.

That green eyed monster jealousy must be rearing its ugly head again!         :lol: 

I'm getting the distinct impression here that you're in fact a Forest fan coming on here to wind us up.

That green eyed monster jealousy must be rearing its ugly head again!         :lol: 

Nope,

Just saying we cannot afford to carry players who are not doing what they are supposed to be  doing in his case scoring goals as well as making them.

With Cardiff doing a second bid - they haven't been told he is not for sale......so maybe we are holding out for 1.5 million?

In any case PC will know what he is doing and will have somebody else lined up and probably not for 1.5 million......If we are holding out for more cash.,,,,,,

He has more to his game than goals, maybe his role has changed from an out and out striker. We need players like him to chase the lost balls and run every inch of the pitch putting pressure on the opposition. 

I wouldn't like to see him go anywhere unless he wanted to go back home to play football. Attractive football needs a bit of grit in it from the likes of Johnny & Bucko :)

No one's carrying Johnny Russell, as I said earlier in the thread his dip in form coincided with what was going on behind the scenes and being used as a loan striker, before all that he was our BEST (IMO) player, I would be gutted if he was to go, I honestly believe he could be massive for us this season

Nope,

Just saying we cannot afford to carry players who are not doing what they are supposed to be  doing in his case scoring goals as well as making them.

With Cardiff doing a second bid - they haven't been told he is not for sale......so maybe we are holding out for 1.5 million?

In any case PC will know what he is doing and will have somebody else lined up and probably not for 1.5 million......If we are holding out for more cash.,,,,,,

do you actually like any Derby players?

I can't remember one positive post from you on anyone. 

No simply stating a fact 17 goals in 87 games is poor even for somebody that has come from the scottish leagues.

You might find that JR does not fit into PC plans for the future, after all he is the new coach and he does have to improve on what Mac did  -he will have his own ideas on who he wants and who he doesn't.......

it's not all about scoring the goals it's a team game as a winger it's just as important to assist goals the amount of times jr has won penos and free kicks and we have scored from them don't that mean anything or are u really that blind you don't don't see things like that! 

And his tracking back helps out the defence. Personally i'd keep him but not as a winger as he can't cross the ball

And he doesn't score many goals either.... Not much left is there?

it's not all about scoring the goals it's a team game as a winger it's just as important to assist goals the amount of times jr has won penos and free kicks and we have scored from them don't that mean anything or are u really that blind you don't don't see things like that! 

But that is no different to others in the team who assist in goals, but is job as a striker is to score as well and that is something that last season he lacked.....

He is not a bad player, but if we are upping our anty in the players dept and changing the way we play and PC will know who he wants and doesn't want, then it might well be we are holding out for more cash.

One thing for certain is we have not closed the door on Cardiff after there 1st offer, that tells me he might go......

I recall last summer that there were a number on here getting themselves moist with excitement that they had placed some rather super sums of money down, having been given great odds on JR getting 15 or 20 goals in the season. I thought at the time that fools and their monies are often easily parted. Anyone thinking about doing a similar bet this season? Come on JW don't let me down :lol:

As I've mentioned earlier.... Only going to bit part I feel this season. Thoroughly agree with @i-Ram says.

You could probably scan through posts when he first signed saying he will score 15-20 goals. 

People forget he was our "marquee" signing that summer... Yes agree he's had injuries....

Yes he tracks back and he's hardworking.... But did we really sign him to do that in the first place?

He really has flattered to deceive for me. Would love to proved wrong as always.... But I really don't think he's much past mid champ team at best. And the clubs that are after him/looking at him says it all for me.

2/3 million?!?!? Having a laugh. 1 million tops for me. Wouldn't be surprised if he did move on his next place would be back up North playing in hoops...

like i say... Willing to proved wrong

Nope,

The style of football this year is likely to change, and it's looking increasingly likely that we will be playing with 2 strikers in which case, Russell's requirement to score goals will be diminished further and his role on the pitch will change. Even if you haven't been impressed with him thus far, under a new coach, players can often get a new lease of life and Russell might even improve further.

Players with a proven track record as good as Russell's in this league do not come cheap. Reading want £6 million for Hal Robson-Kanu, I would argue Russell far exceeded him over the past couple of seasons, to sell him for £1.5 million would be unwise to say the least. 1 winger who outshone Russell was Tom Ince and we had to pay just under £5 million for him. 

Russell is a hard working, industrious player whose tireless running often benfits his team-mates more than himself. His willingness to defend and track back whenever needed, offering support to the fullbacks is also commendable. His work off the ball often goes unnoticed but is often as important as what he does on the ball.

I challenge you to name a player as good as Russell at a pricepoint of >£2 million that is also as effective...

As I've mentioned earlier.... Only going to bit part I feel this season. Thoroughly agree with @i-Ram says.

You could probably scan through posts when he first signed saying he will score 15-20 goals. 

People forget he was our "marquee" signing that summer... Yes agree he's had injuries....

Yes he tracks back and he's hardworking.... But did we really sign him to do that in the first place?

He really has flattered to deceive for me. Would love to proved wrong as always.... But I really don't think he's much past mid champ team at best. And the clubs that are after him/looking at him says it all for me.

2/3 million?!?!? Having a laugh. 1 million tops for me. Wouldn't be surprised if he did move on his next place would be back up North playing in hoops...

I am as far south as I can get today Mafia - at the end of Brighton Pier - but above the crashing waves I can still hear the mutterings and chest thumping of Derby's bearded menfolk as they read your post.

P.s. I think he is still worth c£1.5m.

People were expecting him to score 15-20 goals because when he signed most people expected him to play as a striker. We had Conor Sammon, Chris Martin (Who hadn't set the world on fire during his loan spell) and Russell, most expected he'd be the main striker of the 3 and could get a decent amount of goals

When he signed we all thought he was going to play centrally. If we knew he was going to play out wide and expect to cover for wondering full-backs, it's a stretch to expect double figures let alone 15-20.

Some of these goal targets baffle me, you end up with something ridiculous. I've seen:

Martin (25)

Bent (20-25)

Ince (20)

Russell (15-20)

Weimann (15)

Bloody hell...you'd be breaking records with just five players, and assuming none of our centre backs or other midfielders/wingers chip in with goals.

If those are the ridiculously high standards we're going to set our players, only one or two of them are ever going to be good enough. Our faults had nothing to do with our attacking players failing to find the net, and Russell's return of 6 in 24 is perfectly acceptable for a top 6 winger in a season where injuries hit him at just the wrong moment.

Mid-table Championship clubs want him because he'll be available for somewhere between 1 and 2 mill, won't be on ridiculously high wages, they know they have a chance of getting him as he's not first choice anymore and he will automatically be one of their best players. That doesn't mean he's not good enough to play a role for us - we have Ince and there seems to be suggestions that we're after another wide player, and I'd be disappointed if we didn't get another one in. That would make Russell our 3rd best and 3rd choice winger, you'd presume. Well somebody has to be 3rd choice, and if that player is someone Championship clubs below us want to sign as one of the best players in their team, it sounds like we've got a pretty strong squad to me.

When he signed we all thought he was going to play centrally. If we knew he was going to play out wide and expect to cover for wondering full-backs, it's a stretch to expect double figures let alone 15-20.

Some of these goal targets baffle me, you end up with something ridiculous. I've seen:

Martin (25)

Bent (20-25)

Ince (20)

Russell (15-20)

Weimann (15)

Bloody hell...you'd be breaking records with just five players, and assuming none of our centre backs or other midfielders/wingers chip in with goals.

If those are the ridiculously high standards we're going to set our players, only one or two of them are ever going to be good enough. Our faults had nothing to do with our attacking players failing to find the net, and Russell's return of 6 in 24 is perfectly acceptable for a top 6 winger in a season where injuries hit him at just the wrong moment.

Mid-table Championship clubs want him because he'll be available for somewhere between 1 and 2 mill, won't be on ridiculously high wages, they know they have a chance of getting him as he's not first choice anymore and he will automatically be one of their best players. That doesn't mean he's not good enough to play a role for us - we have Ince and there seems to be suggestions that we're after another wide player, and I'd be disappointed if we didn't get another one in. That would make Russell our 3rd best and 3rd choice winger, you'd presume. Well somebody has to be 3rd choice, and if that player is someone Championship clubs below us want to sign as one of the best players in their team, it sounds like we've got a pretty strong squad to me.

Fair post.... I just don't get all the he's a brilliant player, he works hard etc...

I can't think of one game where he was the actual difference in a game for us.... Maybe Wolves at home last season at a push.

Prefer match winners over hard workers.... 

Why don't we dress him up as rammie and he could stick his tongue out at supporters during celebrations and keep everyone happy? 

Also there is a statistic that ambitious pulled out that Ince had better track back and interception rate than Russle. #justsaying

The style of football this year is likely to change, and it's looking increasingly likely that we will be playing with 2 strikers in which case, Russell's requirement to score goals will be diminished further and his role on the pitch will change. Even if you haven't been impressed with him thus far, under a new coach, players can often get a new lease of life and Russell might even improve further.

Players with a proven track record as good as Russell's in this league do not come cheap. Reading want £6 million for Hal Robson-Kanu, I would argue Russell far exceeded him over the past couple of seasons, to sell him for £1.5 million would be unwise to say the least. 1 winger who outshone Russell was Tom Ince and we had to pay just under £5 million for him. 

Russell is a hard working, industrious player whose tireless running often benfits his team-mates more than himself. His willingness to defend and track back whenever needed, offering support to the fullbacks is also commendable. His work off the ball often goes unnoticed but is often as important as what he does on the ball.

I challenge you to name a player as good as Russell at a pricepoint of >£2 million that is also as effective...

You need to challenge PC after all it is he that makes that decision, i said that if he indeed goes to Cardiff, there will be somebody here as a replacement and as i said earlier probably for more than £1.5 million.

Archived