Formation/Team

needles

Too early, probably 5 new faces to come in, but I'm having a lazy afternoon with a raft of San Miguel and some sunshine so I got thinking about how we might line up.

1269303_Derby_County.jpg

1269307_Derby_County.jpg

Nah, can't suss it. More beer required.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4231 gives me an erection. Has done since day 1. 

Do that fancy graphic thing but put Hughes next to Thorne or a touch higher. Put Dawkins in the middle of the 3 and Russell and Ince each side with Martin up front. 

Go on. 

You'll love it.

I'd love for us to use 4-2-3-1

1be7c25b86e01003dd87e866c1e603cb.png

Thorne and Hughes dictating the play, Ince and Weimann running at the full backs and Bryson playing off Martin like he did in the 13/14 season when he was the best midfielder in the league by some distance. Thorne would just sit deep which would allow Hughes to venture forward occasionally and with having 2 holding midfielders, both Forsyth and Christie can have a bit more freedom to push on down the wings and hopefully we can get those 2 back at their best

Grant

Keogh                       Bucko

Lowton                                                           Forsyth

Thorne

Bryson                         Hughes

Ince                                                                Weimann

Martin

Roos

Rawson                      Pearce

Shotton                                                     Not Warnock

Eustace

Forster-Caskey               Dawkins

Russell                                                        Bennett

McGoldrick

Do that fancy graphic thing but put Hughes next to Thorne or a touch higher. Put Dawkins in the middle of the 3 and Russell and Ince each side with Martin up front. 

Go on. 

You'll love it.

​Great minds think alike :lol: Although I prefer my idea of Bryson behind Martin so those 2 can get that wonderful 13/14 link up back again ;)

Too early, probably 5 new faces to come in, but I'm having a lazy afternoon with a raft of San Miguel and some sunshine so I got thinking about how we might line up.

1269303_Derby_County.jpg

1269307_Derby_County.jpg

Nah, can't suss it. More beer required.

Don't drink to much, you may end up putting Sammon in your side

Don't drink to much, you may end up putting Sammon in your side

I don't have that much booze in the house. :lol:

Go on. 

You'll love it.

1269319_Derby_County.jpg

What about your idea plus the interesting Lowton and Weimann rumours? Can't see Ince happening to be honest, so maybe Weimann and Rusell are more likely.

I like Dawkins very much, and I'd love to get his great touch and ball retention ability in there somewhere. Dawks, Hughes and Thorne would be impossible to get the ball off at this level.

OK, I admit it, this formation has given me a slight twitch on.

1269319_Derby_County.jpg

What about your idea plus the interesting Lowton and Weimann rumours? Can't see Ince happening to be honest, so maybe Weimann and Rusell are more likely.

I like Dawkins very much, and I'd love to get his great touch and ball retention ability in there somewhere. Dawks, Hughes and Thorne would be impossible to get the ball off at this level.

OK, I admit it, this formation has given me a slight twitch on.

I'm doing my sex face. 

Do you have a sex face? Thinking about it makes you paranoid. 

But look at that. Thorne is just sat there eating attacks a firing off quick passes. Hughes is just wondering around being genius. You've got Dawkins playing one twos on the edge of your box. Russell and Weimann bursting into life when the dinner bell goes and it's time to turn it on. And Martin just scoring goals, eating ice cream and falling over.

Just promote us now. 

Grant

Keogh                       Bucko

Lowton                                                           Forsyth

Thorne

Bryson                         Hughes

Ince                                                                Weimann

Martin

Roos

Rawson                      Pearce

Shotton                                                     Not Warnock

Eustace

Forster-Caskey               Dawkins

Russell                                                        Bennett

McGoldrick

That's vintage 'insert your own b*ll*cks signings into a formation and hope no one notices you've put in players we have little to no links with'

vintage

That's vintage 'insert your own b*ll*cks signings into a formation and hope no one notices you've put in players we have little to no links with'

vintage

​Two players who are our of contract yes, Is it against the law? Did I break any rules? Did the original post say only current players and people we've been linked with? Are you the thread police?

No. So wind your vintage neck in. 

I would definitely have Albentosa in those line ups! If he's still here come the start of the season I can see him really pushing on under Clement now he's had some time to adjust to the league and lifestyle here.

​Don't get me started, I'm moaning about him on every thread!

I'm doing my sex face. 

Do you have a sex face? Thinking about it makes you paranoid. 

But look at that. Thorne is just sat there eating attacks a firing off quick passes. Hughes is just wondering around being genius. You've got Dawkins playing one twos on the edge of your box. Russell and Weimann bursting into life when the dinner bell goes and it's time to turn it on. And Martin just scoring goals, eating ice cream and falling over.

Just promote us now. 

And our defense and keeper chucking it into our net :ph34r:

​Two players who are our of contract yes, Is it against the law? Did I break any rules? Did the original post say only current players and people we've been linked with? Are you the thread police?

No. So wind your vintage neck in. 

I am the thread police, but fortunately for you most of our work is focused on sewing and occasionally knitting.

You're lucky.

I'd be pretty chuffed if we were going with 4-2-3-1, maybe not as much as Alpha though. I feel it fits our squad and could allow certain players to flourish. I like the way our squads shaping up because it seems to be giving us lot of options as to changing formation, perhaps more so than last year. If we sign who we've been strongly linked with, we could have 4 players more than capable of playing up top, allowing us to switch to a formation with 2 strikers.

ST: Martin, Bent, Russell, Weimann

Wing: Russell, Ince, Weimann, Dawkins

CAM: Bryson, Dawkins, Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Ince

CDM: Thorne, Hughes, Hendrick, Eustace

I'm amazed how much overlapping there is in who can play where if we switched to a 4-2-3-1. We can still use the old. 4-3-3 too. Excited.

Wing: Russell, Ince, Weimann, Dawkins

​I know you're just using that word as a turn of phrase and I'm not jumping on you, but whatever system we play I think we need to get rid of the idea of having 'wingers'. Some Derby fans seem to think that unless you have an Antonio Valencia-"I'll hug the touchline and if I get the ball, I cross it"-style player, you're putting a square peg in a round hole in that position. The two "wingers" in our 4-3-3, or the two wide players in your 4-2-3-1, wouldn't be wingers like that. They're kind of more like secondary strikers, or inside forwards in old parlance.

So many times you see fans in transfer suggestion threads saying "wouldn't it be great to see a player who could just put the ball into the box?", and I think - no, not really. What, so we can cross the ball to Martin on his own in the box? We need players like Ince, Russell, IBe, Bamford to a lesser extent...players who work with their full-back, track back defensively, but also cut-in and get on the end of things in the box. Forget "the final ball", these players should either be trying to cut in and shoot, link up with Martin, or be getting on end of the final ball themselves...

Our best football in the past two seasons came in 2013/14 when Forsyth was doing what some fans want our wide players to do. We had the option of working the ball into the box down the left, but then Forsyth had the option of trying to find Martin or pulling it back for Russell, Bamford or whoever who would also be trying to get on the end of the cross - not put one in.

The difference was, last season we had two full backs trying to do that. In 2013/14 we almost played with a back three when Forsyth went forward, because Buxton and Keogh would move across to cover him and Wisdom would naturally want to stay back with them. When Christie goes on his own adventures and when Mascarell goes for a tapas in the middle of the game, it's hardly surprising that our CBs looked exposed at times last season.

Archived