I'll axe TV shows if licence cheats escape court - BBC boss Danny Cohen

Day

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

I know what people are saying about the BBC and it's unfair to compare with sky as sky subscribers pay treble the license fee every year. 

Consider if the BBC went commercial and turned into ITV. Possibly the worst channel of them all. You might not like dance and talent shows but ITV is Jeremy Kyle, Judge Judy, stupid world's worst shows, reality TV and everything else that is wrong with the world. 

Is it that unfair to compare bbc with sky ? Sure the sky subs are three times those of bbc. But everyone has to pay a licence fee not everyone has to subscribe to sky. Really bbc are hugely inefficient and should provide better value for money. It's true bbc output is better than itv, by a country mile. 

Is it that unfair to compare bbc with sky ? Sure the sky subs are three times those of bbc. But everyone has to pay a licence fee not everyone has to subscribe to sky. Really bbc are hugely inefficient and should provide better value for money. It's true bbc output is better than itv, by a country mile. 

I think it's a fair comparison for everyone suggesting that the license fee should be scrapped and that advertising should generate revenue instead, as the BBC would be following the ITV model, not sky.

In my student halls this semester, I didn't have a TV. Nor did I watch any live TV on my laptop. So I didn't need a licence. Yet I continued to get threatening letters saying that I was going to go to court and possibly sent to prison if I didn't pay my licence. The letters were addressed to "the occupier" by the way. How are you going to take me to court when you don't know my name? I'm not paying for something I don't need. When I declared to them I don't need one, they said they'd come and inspect my property.

Why? Do Tesco come and inspect your property if you declare to them that you won't be buying their milk? It's a service, and a service I declined to use.

They never came anyway, they'd need a police officer and a warrant to inspect my property. And they wouldn't get that unless they could prove I was watching live TV. Which they can't because I wasn't. There's not even an aerial or even the space for a television set.

Can't intimidate me ya ******.

A typical day for me - wake up, check the BBC news mobile site while waking up, no point going to work if a nuclear wars started overnight after all. 

Jump in the car, BBC 6 music while driving to work, after 2 hrs at work despair at hearing Rihanna or Taylor Swift for the 3rd time in 120 minutes, headphones on 6 music on I player radio app.

After work, 5 live to catch up with the news or live sports coverage, then home.

Now home, nothing on so use I player on TV to watch a doc or drama that simply wouldn't be made by any other network as it's not commercially viable, whilst my lad uses the BBC bitesize website to help with his exam revision.

Last thing, news night or BBC News 24 whilst I drift off.

You may argue the license fee method of collection is wrong, and have a point, but don't tell me it's not value for money, or a rare institution that makes life better in a small way, for a great deal of people both here and abroad.

A typical day for me - wake up, check the BBC news mobile site while waking up, no point going to work if a nuclear wars started overnight after all. 

Jump in the car, BBC 6 music while driving to work, after 2 hrs at work despair at hearing Rihanna or Taylor Swift for the 3rd time in 120 minutes, headphones on 6 music on I player radio app.

After work, 5 live to catch up with the news or live sports coverage, then home.

Now home, nothing on so use I player on TV to watch a doc or drama that simply wouldn't be made by any other network as it's not commercially viable, whilst my lad uses the BBC bitesize website to help with his exam revision.

Last thing, news night or BBC News 24 whilst I drift off.

You may argue the license fee method of collection is wrong, and have a point, but don't tell me it's not value for money, or a rare institution that makes life better in a small way, for a great deal of people both here and abroad.

You sound like one of those people in that old John Cleese TV licensing advert, if you've ever seen it. It's an outdated advert though, as you can tell by the fact that the pub it's set in actually has some people in it and that the BBC was still making good programmes.

You sound like one of those people in that old John Cleese TV licensing advert, if you've ever seen it. It's an outdated advert though, as you can tell by the fact that the pub it's set in actually has some people in it and that the BBC was still making good programmes.

I just think it's one of those services we take for granted, most people don't even take the radio stations into account, yet try hearing new music, by new bands,on a commercial station.

The funding certainly needs looking at, would have no problem with adverts on BBC1, along with Radio 1, these both seem to be commercial stations in output, and can see why people believe the BBC should be restricted in their activities on the Web and in print media, but it does provide real value for money as far as I'm concerned.

Disclaimer - I don't actually know how much it costs, the missus takes care of it. I'd guess around 150 quid a year? 

I just think it's one of those services we take for granted, most people don't even take the radio stations into account, yet try hearing new music, by new bands,on a commercial station.

The funding certainly needs looking at, would have no problem with adverts on BBC1, along with Radio 1, these both seem to be commercial stations in output, and can see why people believe the BBC should be restricted in their activities on the Web and in print media, but it does provide real value for money as far as I'm concerned.

Disclaimer - I don't actually know how much it costs, the missus takes care of it. I'd guess around 150 quid a year? 

Great post and great points about the radio. Commercial stations are nearly always dire and the adverts make them pretty much unlistenable.

I bet all the main anti-bbc tory types all listen to the Today programme every morning.

Other good things about BBC: kids channels without adverts, test match special, actual documentaries rather than reality ones, more or less, iplayer and especially the aforementioned radio 6, few good dramas.

Bad things: the news full of tories but still considered left-wing (it's just not rabidly right-wing), the mainstream chasing programmes like come dancing (let the commercial stations have this and use the money to create something original and different

The scanner vans can't scan and they've got no way of telling who's watching, fook 'em, if they want to put pictures on our screens let them.

Tode scanner vans are pretty awesome. 

A colleague of my dad's was heading off to work when he bumped into the man from the tv license enforcement team coming up the path.

"I'm just going to work now", he says, "and I've just renewed it this morning. Haven't mentioned it to the wife yet - just let her know it's behind the clock on the mantelpiece."

Obviously when he knocks on the door and the wife answers she looks a bit blank and says she doesn't know where the license is, so the bloke tells her it's behind the clock.

"Bloody hell, your vans are good" she says.

Archived