David Marshall

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happened to Alex McCarthy?

​I remember Steele saying in a recent interview that he and Butland are the two outstanding up and coming keepers in this country. Wouldn't surprise me at al if we went after him should we be promoted. 

Also, Marshall is 30. I know keepers age well and play until 36/38/40.. but I don't really want us to be in that position.

Roos has done okay when played but is he good enough to be a number 1? 

​Marshall is near his prime at 30 years old. Best years for a keeper are around the 30 -35 mark. If we go up and the management are still blind to the lack of ability at the back, we'll need Walter Zenga and Dino Zoff between the sticks...at the same time, to keep us in the PL. 

*Note both keepers start with Z. Great for drink while you think stitch ups. 

Also, Marshall is 30. I know keepers age well and play until 36/38/40.. but I don't really want us to be in that position.

Roos has done okay when played but is he good enough to be a number 1? 

​30 years old for a goalkeeper is usually regarded as their prime, if someone that age was to come in you'd still expect them to be at the top of their game for at least the next 5 years. Based on the time I have supported Derby we have never had a goalkeeper for more than about 3 years before we get a new number one. So I am sure he will probably be gone before he got to like 36 or 37 or at least only be back up.

Rate Marshall very highly. But I have heard we'll go back in for Butland if we go up. I suspect both are on a list in Chris Evans' office...

​Is that permanently or another loan do you think? It would be good even if we stay down if we could get Butland on loan again for a season maybe as he doesn't look like taking Begovics gloves anytime soon.

Rate Marshall very highly. But I have heard we'll go back in for Butland if we go up. I suspect both are on a list in Chris Evans' office...

​If/when Stoke decides to cash out Begovic, there's no chance getting Butland. And I'm afraid they will do it pretty soon.

​Is that permanently or another loan do you think? It would be good even if we stay down if we could get Butland on loan again for a season maybe as he doesn't look like taking Begovics gloves anytime soon.

​I don't think Stoke would want him out on loan for a long period. So my guess is it would be all or nothing (ie an outright buy). But if it's true he's signed a new contract, maybe we've moved on. Interestingly, when Butland came in this season, most thought he wasn't as capable as Grant. I thought he improved quickly after coaching.

​I don't think Stoke would want him out on loan for a long period. So my guess is it would be all or nothing (ie an outright buy). But if it's true he's signed a new contract, maybe we've moved on. Interestingly, when Butland came in this season, most thought he wasn't as capable as Grant. I thought he improved quickly after coaching.

​Thought it was his kicking that let him down. Grant seems to have caught that bug now too. 

Archived