David Marshall

North_Stand_Ram

​Genuine question, why would a 30 year old keeper who plays for a very average mid table Championship side cost more than £5 million?

​Because last season he was touted as the best goalkeeper in the Premier League, a number of clubs would want to sign him and Cardiff still have the parachute payment safety net. 

If we were to get him for less than £5m then I'd be stunned.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Because last season he was touted as the best goalkeeper in the Premier League, a number of clubs would want to sign him and Cardiff still have the parachute payment safety net. 

If we were to get him for less than £5m then I'd be stunned.

​Fair enough, though in reality he probably wasn't the best goalkeeper in the Premier League and this season has played in a distinctly average team. If Ince isn't worth £5m (according to some on here) then I don't see how this guy can be.

I've just read the report and it doesn't say he's the keeper we want if we go up - just that he's the keeper we want.

Derby County look set to make an ambitious swoop for Cardiff City goalkeeper David Marshall, according to the Sun.

Marshall was linked with a move to Everton earlier on in the summer after a stunning season in the Premier League last year, where he made some incredible saves and was considered unlucky to be named in the team of the year, over Petr Cech.

Arsenal and Liverpool have also previously expressed interest in the 30-year-old.

Although his season this year has been less impressive, he’s still kept nine clean sheets this season. The goalkeeper signed a new contract in February last year which expires in 2018.

Derby will probably have to fork out a fair amount to land the Scotland international, who will probably replace 32-year-old Lee Grant between the sticks, who returned to Derby in 2013.

The Rams face Reading in the final day of the Championship season, and are well in the play-off mix in the division, with the side currently sixth in the league having amassed 77 points this season.

Archived