Signed: Tom Ince

North_Stand_Ram

Tom Ince prediction   

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

​People should probably learn what statistical significance is then. 

Tom Ince, Championship with Derby or Blackpool:

118 games (79.7 minutes per game), 42 goals and 29 assists (0.402 goals per 90 minutes, 0.278 assists per 90)

Tom Ince, Championship with other teams:

6 games (55.7 minutes per game), 0 goals, 0 assists

Carefully note that Tom Ince has made 95.2% of his appearances and 96.6% of his minutes at Championship level with either Derby or Blackpool, and has performed extremely well with both. Also note:

Tom Ince, Premiership:

15 games (47.5 minutes per game), 1 goal and 1 assist (0.126 goals per 90 minutes, and 0.126 assists per 90 minutes)

Which isn't enough to say anything to be completely blunt about it. 

If you prefer I can do it as a reductio ad xavierum if you really want. But basically, "he only did well at the two clubs he did well at" is a ridiculous argument. 

I don't disagree I think Ince has shown in his short career he's very good at this level. In assessing his abilities it does matter regarding his premier league credentials that he's not done well at Palace for half a season and Hull for another half a season. I don't really count forest too much as he's proven at this level and was just trying to regain his form. If I was going to be pedantic we do seem to live in an age in which one or two season superstars command ridiculous money, whereas Messi has performed at the top for what must be coming up to a decade now. Ince had played top drawer football at second tier, although his year in the top flight should give some cause for concern. So the equivalence isn't exactly watertight, although in this instance I acknowledge it highlights the silly argument the other guy was making.

Anyway, all I was doing was simply observing that character trait of yours that's all ;) 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​0 goals, 0 assists , no games , at the professional level. 

FTFY

I think that's his point. Ince does have a small amount of games for Hull, Palace and Forest where he didn't do well to be fair, but for the majority of his playing career, certainly at championship level he's been excellent.

Your original point holds more weight the longer that Ince hasn't played for Blackpool or Derby and not played well. As Albert has pointed out, that isn't very much.

I have a problem being held ransom by Hull City, they apparently paid £2.3m for his services, he failed at Hull and was offloaded to a championship outfit, now yes he did great things at the rams but to put a £6m price tag on a player that failed at a mediocre premier league team makes me a bit sceptical of his paying this huge sum ?

I think that's his point. Ince does have a small amount of games for Hull, Palace and Forest where he didn't do well to be fair, but for the majority of his playing career, certainly at championship level he's been excellent.

Your original point holds more weight the longer that Ince hasn't played for Blackpool or Derby and not played well. As Albert has pointed out, that isn't very much.

​Its enough , presumably for Steve Bruce to get rid , why part with Ince when/if he is such a terrific player at this level ,

I have not said do not buy him , just that I hope we do not go overboard with the fee.

He is IMHO good , but not quite Carling , yet ..

What are they?

​They are the collection, analysis and presentation of data, often used in regression analysis and internet one-upmanship.

I have a problem being held ransom by Hull City, they apparently paid £2.3m for his services, he failed at Hull and was offloaded to a championship outfit, now yes he did great things at the rams but to put a £6m price tag on a player that failed at a mediocre premier league team makes me a bit sceptical of his paying this huge sum ?

​Not your problem. Not mine either.

Just hang on and go along for the ride.

Rotherham & Huddersfield away come to mind on why I'd be okay with 6 million.. In those games he carried us on his back and also scored crucial goals.. Although we drew both those games 3-3 and 4-4 what he did for us is gave us life lines at 2 goals down. Without Ince in games like those we wouldn't have had that Reading final game 1 point showdown.. 

I think it's just the big figure that's pushing some fans away.. But you have to keep in mind we want to become a consistent Premiership side.. But what standard premiership team do you know who's record transfer fee is 3.5 or less? 

I doubt we'll ever find out what the fee would be.

However, my two penneth is this... it won't be £6mil, and it also won't be significantly greater than what they paid for him, as he had done literally nothing of note with them and had failed at Forest before coming here. That's without the fact he only has a year left on his contract.

FWIW, I expect about £3.5m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33093560

It's on the Beeb which (to me) usually signals it's reliable...

Tom Ince: Derby County trigger Hull City winger's buy-out clause

Derby County have met the buy-out clause for Hull City's Tom Ince and could sign the winger for a club record transfer fee of more than £3.5m, BBC Radio Derby reports.

Ince, 23, scored 11 goals in 18 games on loan at the Rams last season and has a year to run on his Hull contract.

But the loan agreement is understood to have included an option to buy.

Derby's record fee is £3.5m for Robert Earnshaw in 2007, but a sum of up to £6m for Ince has been reported.

Former Derby head coach Steve McClaren confirmed the club wanted the ex-England U-21 international to return to the iPro Stadium in May.

And the appointment of new manager Paul Clement has not changed their stance, with new signings Darren Bent and Alex Pearce also having been identified before Clement took over.

What Bent and Ince did for us last season was fantastic, although finishing 8th without their input/goals we would have finished somewhere mid table and the season would have tailed off much quicker than the last game.

I think the board are heading in the right direction, we still need the defence rebuilding, no good Bent and Ince scoring goals for us - if we are still letting them in the other end...................

Archived