England U21 v Germany U21

Inverurie Ram

Regular game starters: Hughes, Jenkinson, Gibson, Redmond, Pritchard, Forster-Caskey, Garbutt, Ings, Woodrow, Lingard? (plays a reasonable amount), Stones.

I don't know man, most of that team play regular football even the ones that don't start every game.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

James Ward-Prowse for me has been the best U21 England player by some way for the past 18-months. 

I didn't watch the game, but I'm not surprised. I'd have him straight into the first-team without touching the bench on the way through. 

Incredible footballer, hugely gifted. 

I'm guessing Hughes did okay? 

​We are miles behind them. One international friendly won't change that.

Afterall, England beat Spain 1-0 a couple of years ago and that didn't prove anything.

Looking at that future XI done by the BBC, it's frightening to see the lack of technical ability in that side. All huff and puff, and no real ability that will help us win tournaments.

I don't think England will ever win another tournament, especially in my lifetime, due to the PL and our shambolic grassroot football.

​We are miles behind them. One international friendly won't change that.

Afterall, England beat Spain 1-0 a couple of years ago and that didn't prove anything.

Looking at that future XI done by the BBC, it's frightening to see the lack of technical ability in that side. All huff and puff, and no real ability that will help us win tournaments.

I don't think England will ever win another tournament, especially in my lifetime, due to the PL and our shambolic grassroot football.

Nothing is guaranteed, the FA have been improving grassroots phenomenally over the last few years and we also have this place called St George's park. 

Looking at that squad from 2009 it is very much a few quality players carrying some poor ones, you can't say the same for tonight's side. The side earlier were all of pretty equal level. Also Stuart Pearce was running the u21 set-up, need I say any more?

​I don't have much faith for this crop of players, but that's just me.

I just thought your previous post was very cliche and abit short-sighted on judging from just one game. Came across as a 'the doubters were wrong' type post based on one match and quite typical of English supporters in general.

Reminded me of those commentators and especially Championship managers who always say 'this was a top vs bottom clash and you couldn't tell the difference which one was near the top and which was near the bottom'.

Such a pointless phrase basing on one match. Look at the full picture (Yes Ian Holloway I'm talking to you!) and you will see about 30 points difference between the teams!

​I don't necessarily think we'll win major competitions but I think we'll have a bit more continuity between the u21 and full squad which is really what we need. At this moment in time I'd just be happy if we actually played well at a major tournament. Harry Kane has made the step up already and is going back to u21 for the summer, doesn't that tell you things are improving?

​It could, or it could tell us there is a real derth of quality strikers beyond Wayne Rooney pushing for an England spot.

I think England lack an identity more than most, and we'll never have one due to the huge diversity of the Premier League. English players should branch out and go abroad, but that would never happen because the PL pays so well.

Most Spanish/German/Italian clubs play a similar brand of football - can the same be said of PL clubs? Absolutely not.

It can't help when you get players like Wishere and the OX coming from possession-based Arsenal and players like Delph and Barkley coming from different styles. Henderson so used to adopting the high pressure approach whereas Carrick alongside him is so used to dropping deep and playing on the counter.

It's even worse for the younger players. Look at our U21 squad and a number of those players play for teams who just play percentage football - how is that good for player development? It isn't.

The England job is almost impossible - finding XI players to fit your own system when they all have different footballing backgrounds and ideas.

Things are looking a lot better than they have for a long time in my eyes, the u21 side is a lot better than it was a few years ago. More technical players and players that get proper first team game time.

I think some of this down play of our ability technically is a load bullshit anyway, James Milner has won the premier league and taken Bayern Munich apart, I bet you'd call him a plodder Bris? We need to get a style of play back for the national team, use our domestic leagues strengths to our advantage. The national team just has such a sense of apathy towards it now, we need to ditch that horrible brass band as well just brings back shitty memories.

Either way Spain were terrible at the WC and Germany's U21s are 50% 1st and 2nd generation immigrants, Klose and Podolski were Polish anyway. You can look at it in many different ways.

Things are looking a lot better than they have for a long time in my eyes, the u21 side is a lot better than it was a few years ago. More technical players and players that get proper first team game time.

I think some of this down play of our ability technically is a load bullshit anyway, James Milner has won the premier league and taken Bayern Munich apart, I bet you'd call him a plodder Bris? We need to get a style of play back for the national team, use our domestic leagues strengths to our advantage. The national team just has such a sense of apathy towards it now, we need to ditch that horrible brass band as well just brings back shitty memories.

Either way Spain were terrible at the WC and Germany's U21s are 50% 1st and 2nd generation immigrants, Klose and Podolski were Polish anyway. You can look at it in many different ways.

​How many times have we heard that over the last decade or so?

James Milner not a plodder? Come off it. You're using him as an example of Englands technical ability?

Dont get me wrong, he's a decent Premier League player, but he's basically a trier/work horse and that's about it. 

Archived