Germany v Australia

Albert

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not taking anything away from Australia in what is undoubtedly a fantastic result.

But how much have Germany gone off the boil since winning the World Cup?

They finally won a major competition after four straight semi-final losses - it seems after such hard work and finally achieving their goal their level and motivation has dropped big time.

Criticise Spain all you like for their dull style - according to some, not me anyway - but you can only praise them for their motivation and ability to do it again.

Since winning the WC, Germany have been largely rubbish - drawing with Ireland and now Australia, narrowly beating Scotland, defeated by Poland and worst of all being embarrassed at home by an Argentina side who finally managed to get a pretty-much full strength team out.

Joachin Low has recently said he's already making plans for club football - wants La Liga move (Real Madrid no doubt) - and with the likes of Lahm and Mertesacker now retired there is this sense that the German national team is going through a lull.

Not taking anything away from Australia in what is undoubtedly a fantastic result.

But how much have Germany gone off the boil since winning the World Cup?

They finally won a major competition after four straight semi-final losses - it seems after such hard work and finally achieving their goal their level and motivation has dropped big time.

Criticise Spain all you like for their dull style - according to some, not me anyway - but you can only praise them for their motivation and ability to do it again.

Since winning the WC, Germany have been largely rubbish - drawing with Ireland and now Australia, narrowly beating Scotland, defeated by Poland and worst of all being embarrassed at home by an Argentina side who finally managed to get a pretty-much full strength team out.

Joachin Low has recently said he's already making plans for club football - wants La Liga move (Real Madrid no doubt) - and with the likes of Lahm and Mertesacker now retired there is this sense that the German national team is going through a lull.

Good to see you "Championship Managers" having a go at World Cup winner Loew. I know that you probably could do it with Andorra, but preparing International teams to peak at the right times is key in the real world.

Germany were probably a bit unlucky their golden generation coincided with Spain's.

If it were not for the Spaniards, Germany would also have won three out fo the last four majors. 

I think France have as good a chance as anyone at this moment in time of winnign Euro 2016. Not only are they hosts, but they've got a solid base of young players coming through and their more experienced players like Benzema are at their peak.

Aside from that though - who is the competition? Spain are going through a transition, Germany don't look half as good as they did last summer, Italy are also in transition, Holland under Hiddink have been poor, England and Portugal are no-goers, Russia/Croatia/Ukraine are decent sides but not good enough to win a major.

If Belgium mature quickly enough they could be a good outside bet, but for now my money would be on France.

Watching France -Brazil last night, Brazil made them look pretty average and there team is nothing special at the minute. Only a friendly mind, it's going to be a close euros, one where if England can get a little lucky we might get somewhere. 

Archived