Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not usually up for rematches unless though there have been some great ones but I’m kind of intrigued by the Eubank / smith one 

I dunno how to call this one tbh. Jr was bossing, but we all know what happened. I played Jr last time out, but he'll need to show Smith a lot more respect if he's to reverse the form. 

Problem with Jr is he’s a rogue fighter. He doesn’t appear to listen to anybody. He has a renowned coach in his corner this time, but even in the sparring videos, he isn’t doing anything Bo Mac is telling him. 

Key instructions were double jab, not leaving the left hand down and circling off the ropes. He ignored all. 

He may have natural talent. He may have heart. But that will only take him so far.

He is probably the wealthiest and most famous boxer out there though to have never won a world title. 

12 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I dunno how to call this one tbh. Jr was bossing, but we all know what happened. I played Jr last time out, but he'll need to show Smith a lot more respect if he's to reverse the form. 

Yep can’t call it but have a sneaky feeling jr might turn it around

Jnr never fails to wind people up though. 🤣

They all get so angry while he's composed. I don't know why I like him but I still think he can win. Or he could have won if he stopped changing.

The old Jnr that just had such high work rate and stamina was a nuisance for anyone. If he educated himself (especially after the Groves loss) then he would win this. 

But God knows what's he's been trying to become. That work rate was the best thing about him. If he starts doing that Roy Jones Jnr guard and trying to flick shots out then he's wasting some natural attributes imo. He only ever needed to build on what he had. 

1 minute ago, Henrycav81 said:

Fair play to Eubank he boxed his ears off won every round before the stoppage made smith look pedestrian. Eubank was quicker to the punch and wasn’t reckless Smith was never going to knock him out tonight 

Smith looks like he's been in a car wreck. There's not a mark on Jr! That was even more one-sided than watching Crawford piece up Spence. 

They will never admit it pre fight, but it’s a joke if a boxer enters well out of shape and the result is inevitable.

Smith was never going to win that fight with the shape he was in.

Similar to when David Haye fought Bellew.

Jr deserves praise but he was in there with a punching bag. 

They need to do a third fight when both are actually at peak condition. First fight Jr was clearly drained, second fight Smith was.

I think people exaggerated how easy it was for Smith in the first fight. He didn't start well and although the KO wasn't "lucky" like Jnr claimed, you could sense Jnr could get to Smith. 

Jnr tends to fall into traps because he's a bully. But when he uses his brain he's underrated. He would never trouble prime GGG or Canelo as he claimed. But he gets so easily dismissed as many find him and his approach to boxing so repulsive 

I knew he could beat Smith. A third fight would be good but I'm not sure they'll do it. Jnr needed that revenge to move forward and Smith doesn't need to be losing to a guy people openly mock for not being a serious boxer. The cost of another loss is greater than the reward of winning. 

Jnr will waste this win though. He would sooner call Brook or Benn out than crack on to get world titles I imagine. Or BJS is coming back apparently so he will probably have one eye on that. 

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think people exaggerated how easy it was for Smith in the first fight. He didn't start well and although the KO wasn't "lucky" like Jnr claimed, you could sense Jnr could get to Smith. 

Jnr tends to fall into traps because he's a bully. But when he uses his brain he's underrated. He would never trouble prime GGG or Canelo as he claimed. But he gets so easily dismissed as many find him and his approach to boxing so repulsive 

I knew he could beat Smith. A third fight would be good but I'm not sure they'll do it. Jnr needed that revenge to move forward and Smith doesn't need to be losing to a guy people openly mock for not being a serious boxer. The cost of another loss is greater than the reward of winning. 

Jnr will waste this win though. He would sooner call Brook or Benn out than crack on to get world titles I imagine. Or BJS is coming back apparently so he will probably have one eye on that. 

The only person who troubled a prime GGG was Adalaide Byrd

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

In one of the promo videos on Jr he said he lives to fill out arenas and make money. You get the impression he has always been a boxer/celebrity who knew his name alone would take him far.

He would sooner call out a Brook and Benn as you’d imagine those fights have a lot more money in them than fighting any of the belt holders at 160. I reckon hardly anyone has heard of Vincenzo Gualtieri or Janibek Alinkhanuly. 

Eubank is a huge name and with a decent dance partner he makes millions. Can’t knock him really. 

I think that will be the fight that will haunt Smith all his days, he can tell himself it was weight but he never laid a glove in Eubank. And what was going on with his feet, his ankles looked like jelly, like the soles kept catching the canvas - it was weird. But whatever it was that fight overwhelmed the memory of the first fight and makes a third fight look utterly meaningless. He wasn't gassed or drained, he was just poor - on the one night when he couldn't afford to be.

I never really feel sorry for fighters who are carrying injuries or illness into fights. You have 8/10 weeks to be the best you can be. If you're not fighting fit then postpone. If you're less than 100% but fit to fight then that's a bad camp and boxers go through it all the time. 

The last thing you want in combat sports is for constant excuses. Fighters usually get laughed at by fight fans for excuses. 

You're putting everything you have on the line Vs everything they have. 

"Struggled with the weight".... Come on, you know the drill. I can imagine it's draining if you're cutting weight to make a fight but that's the game. That's part of the fight. 

I saw what Bellew said. He beat up Haye who was struggling for fitness. Haye knew it was the best version he could bring and it wasn't enough. He accepted it. I'm not sure where excuses in this sport get you? Mocked usually. Theres no way you can cheapen someone's victory by saying you wasn't 100%. Never works. 

Just have to take the L. 

Same when Jnr was moaning about the first fight. Talking about appealing to the board. This isn't football where you can point the finger here, there and everywhere. It's you in there. Your 8/10 weeks work stepping in and you have to protect yourself. 

The only excuse that should exist is when it goes to the criminal judges. 

Last week, Dubois v Usyk. Warren coming out with the "it was a KO and he should be Champion". No. The referee made a ruling. Just get on with it. Whack him there again. Push the rules. But accept whatever the ref decides. Don't become whiny fannies like football players. Otherwise we end up with play acting and NC's and rematches of rematches where no prime boxer has ever lost. 

Judges are a problem though