Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Amir Khan pretty much cleared of deliberately or effectively taking that Ostarine

Doesn't seem the type to dope. Has some character faults, but I don't think this would be one of them. So many ways for fighters to mess up taking other medications or supplements without really knowing what might be contained. It's not like they are the best informed or best protected group of athletes. 

59 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Doesn't seem the type to dope. Has some character faults, but I don't think this would be one of them. So many ways for fighters to mess up taking other medications or supplements without really knowing what might be contained. It's not like they are the best informed or best protected group of athletes. 

I thought it was surprising news too. I thought it must be just because he wanted to beat Brook so bad. I don't understand how they are able to release a statement saying he's failed a test but then release one saying he passed all previous pre fight tests and the amount in his system when he failed was too little to have effect on his performance. 

Isn't that the stuff you get right first?

27 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I thought it was surprising news too. I thought it must be just because he wanted to beat Brook so bad. I don't understand how they are able to release a statement saying he's failed a test but then release one saying he passed all previous pre fight tests and the amount in his system when he failed was too little to have effect on his performance. 

Isn't that the stuff you get right first?

The most depressing thing is that I'm not remotely surprised. My very first thought when the news broke was no f****** way and I'm glad his record has not been irrevocably tarnished by the idiocy of the BBoC.

2 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

How did one of the judges have Joyce in front

Last time Zhang fought he had Hrgovic dead on his feet and still didn't get the decision. 

You have to take into account popularity points. Popular starts off with 11 score every round. 

Joyce will have to change a lot to win a rematch. 

He was a Southpaw's dream. Forced to use his left jab and hook he was completely blind to Zhang's left (no wonder he was literally half blind by round 5)

He didn't seem to respect Zhang's power with those tactics. Zhang didn't even have to do anything special did he? He had Joyce just obsessed with getting past Zhang's right jab. Zhang knew from round 1 that left hand power shots didn't even need to be disguised. 

Joyce is never gonna be anything more than a wrecking ball so how does he adjust to have some form of defence to the southpaw? 

I can only see him having to be really negative for 6 rounds and rely on Zhang tiring. Zhang isn't a 12 round fighter. He definitely fades and feels the pace. But even then he's only got to fire a big left hook occasionally and cause problems 

On 05/04/2023 at 13:23, BaaLocks said:

Fury should take Joyce after he gets past Zhang. It would be a boring cuddlefest but Fury would tap out the jabs needed, and keep the head moving enough, to win it on points. He then gets to claim he took on the biggest danger out there, stops AJ building momentum by taking that one ahead of him and can claim a big domestic payday.

OK - we now have a flaw in this plan but still, both AJ and Fury must be kicking themselves. Joyce's stock price was the highest it's ever going to be going into the Zhang fight and he's been unpicked by a fighter a solid level below either of them. While they were all fluffing over TV splits and who gets the first ring walk the moment has now passed, Joyce remains a teak tough unit with limited head movement but now has a pretty clear tactic exposed to unpick him.

That one has been coming for a while. Although he had a few decent wins (Dubois and Parker), his only "defence" was his chin, which was open to being hit at all times. Any fighter with a slight bit of speed pummels him, as shown just and I wouldn't even say Zhang is a fast fighter. 

Usyk did it in the amateurs with ease, just absolutely battered him, punching from all angles. There's some spar footage as well of AJ absolutely battering Joyce.

At 37, I can't really see Joyce doing much more.

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I mean it's never happening, but hey it's a nice thought. 

I've seen the interview. He pretty much said the idea has been put out there and that's it. 

Absolutely no chance. The $400m was just a guess he put out there based on what they couldn't refuse. 

I very much doubt someone wants to fork out that kind of money to stage this event that would run at a loss. 

And even if someone did can you imagine Frank, Bob Arum, Eddie Hearn and Shelley Finkle all coming to an agreement on who's getting what. 

Can't even get Fury to fight Usyk when there's nobody else free to fight him. 

I can't believe they even float this crap. 

Might as well as Elon to put a AJ v Wilder fight on his space rocket. More chance of it happening. 

Decent fight between Derby's Sandy Ryan and Marie Pier Houle. The latter was game and durable, but Ryan looks tailormade for the pro game and won convincingly.

Looking forward to the Cordina-Rakhimov bout. Could be a cracker. Hoping Cordina has enough to outclass the Tajikistani fighter.

Cordina-Rakhimov fight an absolute belter. I thought Cordina might have been too passive, though clearly the better fighter. Rakhimov's face an absolute mess but he just kept marching forwards and he definitely troubled Cordina on occasions.

Another myopic judge the only downside, with one clown having Rakhimov the winner by 4 clear rounds. Where do they find these guys?