Who is dropped for Saturday?

North_Stand_Ram

He'll drop Christie for Shotton, and Ward for Dawkins, and play the team he should have started with last night. 

Saying that, if Albentosa was brought in for Buxton, and Thorne for Omar, I wouldn't be shocked.

But if Buxton was dropped you would feel the manager was wrong, wrong and triple wrong. You would not understand why he had done so ( yet part of your thinking is that the manager may do it, you just genuinely have no idea why manager may do so )

For the record....my team that I think will play saturday

Grant

Christie, Keogh, Shotton, Forsyth

Omar

Hughes Bryson

Ince, bent, Dawkins

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But if Buxton was dropped you would feel the manager was wrong, wrong and triple wrong. You would not understand why he had done so ( yet part of your thinking is that the manager may do it, you just genuinely have no idea why manager may do so )

For the record....my team that I think will play saturday

Grant

Christie, Keogh, Shotton, Forsyth

Omar

Hughes Bryson

Ince, bent, Dawkins

Yes, I would think it was wrong, but I am going from experience. I have that you see. :-)

Yes, I would think it was wrong, but I am going from experience. I have that you see. :-)

Experience .... in the bag. Cool

Next stop ........ intelligence

I am with you on this one.

Losing count of times he gives the ball away when facing his own goal and leaving our under performing centre backs massively exposed.

Although people rave about his passing I've not seen that much that impresses me on that side of his game.

Average player but don't think CDM is his position and he don't think he brings much to the team.

He is very good at passing and he often gets the CBs out of tight situations more at home than away and that was the excuse for the with respect rubbish comment

He is very good at passing and he often gets the CBs out of tight situations more at home than away and that was the excuse for the with respect rubbish comment

This is another thing that I don't really get, is he really that good at passing?

He's a professional footballer so I expect him to be able to do 95% of the passes that he makes, as well as some of the passes that he hits straight out of touch. Having just checked his pass percentage it is up at 80% compared to 87% for Will Hughes.

I am yet to see him make any really telling passes (I'm talking George Thorne type passes against Huddersfield last season) since he has been here. He currently rates at one assist, although I am fully aware most of our assists will come from wingers/Martin.

One thing I will give him is that he doesn't hide. Like you say he is always there to take the ball of the centre backs.

This is another thing that I don't really get, is he really that good at passing?

He's a professional footballer so I expect him to be able to do 95% of the passes that he makes, as well as some of the passes that he hits straight out of touch. Having just checked his pass percentage it is up at 80% compared to 87% for Will Hughes.

I am yet to see him make any really telling passes (I'm talking George Thorne type passes against Huddersfield last season) since he has been here. He currently rates at one assist, although I am fully aware most of our assists will come from wingers/Martin.

One thing I will give him is that he doesn't hide. Like you say he is always there to take the ball of the centre backs.

Hughes is quality though and so is Thorne.

As a DM you have to chase and tacke a lot as well .

Thorne will come back in for Omar soon I'm sure so this discussion is almost obsolete if that's the right word.

I think I mean superfluous

When Thorne does come back, that DM position will be his. I think with Hendrick and Bryson slightly off the boil, and with SM not wanting to annoy Madrid (Never know when you might need them), we might see Omar and Hughes in the forward positions. Hughes as the creator and Omar as the runner. Might be a decent combo. 

Hughes is quality though and so is Thorne.

As a DM you have to chase and tacke a lot as well .

Thorne will come back in for Omar soon I'm sure so this discussion is almost obsolete if that's the right word.

I think I mean superfluous

Maybe Mac will play Omar in a different role when Thorne returns

This is the thing.

So ... people are sympathetic to Mascarell because apparently 'he isn't a natural defensive midfielder' ... apparently he is 'a more creative midfielder with fantastic passing.'

If this guy consistently hurts teams with his vision and execution of a pass, in the same way that Thorne can ... I have yet to see it.

His 'flash passing' as i keep on repeating, that seems to be the point at which a lot of people on here rely on in order to back Mascarell up ... is pretty standard fare for any decent professional worth their salt ...

It all looks very expansive and very nice - but despite all the fanfare that surrounds it ... it is actually nothing special at all...and by the way, as has been alluded to already, his consistency of that basic execution is pretty patchy anyway.

He is still growing, still developing. I grant you that. The point is, that we are in a title race. We do not have that margin for error anymore.

He should be kept on the bench, given a notebook, and instructed to observe how Thorne and Eustace do it.

Thorne is streets ahead of anyone in the division, Eustace is a wiley old master ... with both fit, Mascarell is third choice by miles.

Sorry ... it is just not his time, and he is just not for me.

This is the thing.

So ... people are sympathetic to Mascarell because apparently 'he isn't a natural defensive midfielder' ... apparently he is 'a more creative midfielder with fantastic passing.'

If this guy consistently hurts teams with his vision and execution of a pass, in the same way that Thorne can ... I have yet to see it.

His 'flash passing' as i keep on repeating, that seems to be the point at which a lot of people on here rely on in order to back Mascarell up ... is pretty standard fare for any decent professional worth their salt ...

It all looks very expansive and very nice - but despite all the fanfare that surrounds it ... it is actually nothing special at all...and by the way, as has been alluded to already, his consistency of that basic execution is pretty patchy anyway.

He is still growing, still developing. I grant you that. The point is, that we are in a title race. We do not have that margin for error anymore.

He should be kept on the bench, given a notebook, and instructed to observe how Thorne and Eustace do it.

Thorne is streets ahead of anyone in the division, Eustace is a wiley old master ... with both fit, Mascarell is third choice by miles.

Sorry ... it is just not his time, and he is just not for me.

Fair enough. Never really understood the massive love in for Eustace, seen him make as many mistakes as Mascarell. Just seems he is a better influence to those around him. The thing for me is that in some performances, Mascarell has offered far more than Eustace and shown he can do the job far better, just not yet consistent.

Then again, according to McClaren, in recent matches, Hughes, Hendrick and Mascarell have put in performances as good as you will see in this league as a midfield. So is our head coach clueless?

I think it would be better to start Thorne on Saturday, give him an hour.

Fair enough. Never really understood the massive love in for Eustace, seen him make as many mistakes as Mascarell. Just seems he is a better influence to those around him. The thing for me is that in some performances, Mascarell has offered far more than Eustace and shown he can do the job far better, just not yet consistent.

Then again, according to McClaren, in recent matches, Hughes, Hendrick and Mascarell have put in performances as good as you will see in this league as a midfield. So is our head coach clueless?

I think it would be better to start Thorne on Saturday, give him an hour.

I'll repeat a very simpleset of points yet again ...

Where Eustace is far superior to Mascarell is exactly as you state ... he is an organiser, a leader, defensively minded, and plays the correct passes for the good of the team. Those are the fundamentals of the position. When he is in the side, we concede less. That has been proven. 

There is no way in a month of Sunday's that Eustace has as error littered a game as the Spaniard - purely for the reason that he plays to his limits, keeps it simple, and does his job correctly. Yes he picks up bookings - however in the main, they are 'team bookings' designed to break up the momentum of the opposition.

People wrongly have this idea that (and again I am sounding repetitive) the defensive anchorman is there to play 60 yard raking passes and little flick tricks and Cryuff turns. He is not. We have Will Hughes for that ... a genuine creative spark with wonderful technique and vision. The defensive midfielder is there to shield the back four, and get the play moving. It isn't rocket science.

Mascarell will always have popularity because his style of play is sometimes pretty easy on the eye from the stands.

When the chips are down and I'm out there on the park ... I'd go for Johnny Eustace each and every time of the two.

Thorne is levels above both, so the whole thing is academic now that he is approaching fitness.

By the way ... for a significant run of games, Mascarell couldn't get near the side because Eustace was fit to play. The manager praised the impact that Johnny had, and the 'know-how' he brought to the role. We started keeping clean sheets again as a result of influence. Anyone will tell you that.

You must also be suggesting that the manager is clueless then .. ?

Just saying.

Mascarell ain't the be all and end all just because he has played in La Liga a couple of times or whatever. 

At present, he is too raw.

I'm not convinced by Mascarell either although for those who say he isn't defensive midfielder - he clearly is, but not for this league. You can tell by the silly mistakes he makes that he's used to a slower game where the centre backs part and he drops deep and has time to tip tap it anywhere he pleases. Look at the shock he gets for Rotherham's third when he heads the ball back to Keogh and it turns out he's had an opposition player snapping at his heels. I'm not doubting his ability, and I get Daz's point about a lot of his passes not being the trickiest to execute - but a lot of footballers don't do it. He has confidence in his own ability and that in itself is a great attribute to have.

Also, to be fair to Omar, when he played for Real Madrid Castilla or trained with the first team, when he received the ball from defence and turned around with it he probably wouldn't expect the two central midfielders in front of him to either a.) dart forward in a straight line or b.) stand still in the most unhelpful way possible. That's exactly what Bryson and Hendrick did at home to Forest - honestly, those two together without Eustace or Thorne play like 12 year old kids. Just sort of running about a bit without any cause. It's like they've had their parents cheering from the sidelines their whole career and they can't cope without a father figure telling them what to do even though they know how to do it.

hhwhdhwdwadjaoifjio. Wish I hadn't thought about it now. I'm in a terrible mood. It's one thing when you've got a crap player playing crap, but good players not using their brains and playing poorly are always the worst kind of performances for me. Bryson and Hendrick in the Forest game, I'll be telling my grand kids about that, has to be one of the most mind-numbingly unintelligent performances I've seen. Still haven't forgiven them.

In my eyes, our strongest team with everyone fit looks like this (obviously discounting form):

Grant

Christie     Albentosa    Buxton    Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes      Hendrick

Russell                                Ince

Martin

Christie and Shotton are fairly interchangeable as both have their merits.

We should be aiming for as close to that team as possible.

Archived