Why are we so awful in cup competitions?

Anon

I wondered why so many people seemed so apathetic towards the cup in the recent poll, looking at our record in cup competitions I can see why. Our results over the last few decades in both cup competitions are truly embarrassing.

Aside from Stoke in 2008-09, we have failed to win a tie against a Premiership team since 1998, despite having 12 attempts.

We have made it to the last 8 of either competition on only 3 occasions.

In the last 18 years we have lost 19 cup ties to teams in a lower league than ourselves, including 7 from tier 3, 6 from tier 4, and Crawley from non league.

For a club who has never competed lower than the championship in that period these are almost impressively poor statistics.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wondered why so many people seemed so apathetic towards the cup in the recent poll, looking at our record in cup competitions I can see why. Our results over the last few decades in both cup competitions are truly embarrassing.

Aside from Stoke in 2008-09, we have failed to win a tie against a Premiership team since 1998, despite having 12 attempts.

In the last 18 years we have lost 19 cup ties to teams in a lower league than ourselves, including 7 from tier 3, 6 from tier 4, and Crawley from non league.

For a club who has never competed lower than the championship in that period these are almost impressively poor statistics.

Good points though, but would you rather be Bradford than us, diddling round the bottom two Divisions but beating Prem clubs on a regular basis in the cups?

Whilst I agree our record is pretty damn poor for decades.

I still dont think this year is the one to complain.

We made the last 16 in both cup competitions this year... did we not?

I guess it doesnt help that we have been incredibly inconsistant for 20 years,and spent most of that time in the bottom half of the 2nd tier.

This has been one of our best cup years for a while IMO (A little run in both).

It was wierd on Saturday I was glad we lost. Concentrate in the league now.. Even more so when the Boro got knocked out.

I'm glad Mclaren basically said both teams didn't want a replay or that would **** us up with the injuries we have.

We  would have had Bradford.We could have made the Semi-finals.But no everyone 

is right,our squad isn't strong enough for the extra games,not worth the risk.Such a shame

if only we had more strength in depth,but I guess I was wrong and the rest of you are right.

Wouldn't the numbers have changed if we'd been in the draw instead of Reading? (didn't see the draw so don't know what number each team had. Used to be for alphabetical order didn't it?)

Archived