lack if squad depth

davenportram

Bent has hardly played for ages. Hell be rusty at best.

Still think injuries will gave a big impact if key players get injured.

We aren't a top 6 premier league side.

Literally no team from there on has an instant replacement for their whole squad to cover for injuries.

We are a winger short now, we all know that and I believe Mac does too, but beyond that, we have the deepest squad and the most quality within that in the league.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goalkeeper Grant/Roos

Full back Christie/Fozzy/Shotton/Warnock

Centre back Keogh/Bucko/Albentosa/Whitbread

Defensive Midfielder Thorne/Omar/Eustace

Midfielder Bryson/Hendrick/Hughes (i'd say 1 to add tbf)

Winger Russell/Ward/Dawkins/Bennett

Forward Martin/Bent

Unless the rules have changed you can only use three subs per game, so I'm not sure the squad looks weak at all.

Should one of them get injured that's where the emergency loan comes in.

Coutts was not good enough so has been shipped out, he hasn't really featured this or last season so no loss. I wouldn't bring anyone else in to sit on the bench, only if they are good enough for first 11.

Doesn't look that weak?!

Bennett's done nothing of any note in the first team

Naylor? Garbage against Southport..

Calero? Talk of being shipped out to a league two club

Hendricks been on annual leave since the Summer

So wheres the quality, the game changing players?

Doesn't look that weak?!

Well heck then Pap,how many players you think we need?

Doesn't look that weak?!

These are all players that aren't direct back-up in the 1st team?

I for one have not a clue really on what our spending limit as it were for the rest of this window is,but I feel if we do get another winger or something else,will be via loan.

I think we need another winger and that is it along with perhaps a DM.

We have best staff and best players imo and no need to bring in a lot more to get promotion.

Warnock,Bent,and Albentosa I am confident will be shown to be good moves.

Ideally and realistically we have

2 keepers for 1 position

2 RB's for 1

4 CB's for 2

2 LB's for 1

1 DM for 1

3 CM's for 2

3 Wingers for 2

2 strikers for 1

The midfield has become an issue for imo. Never been a fan of Hendrick and Bryson together. Tbh honest I call them the statue and the Yorkshire terrier under my breath. Never been a massive fan of either. Not that they're rubbish. Just without Hughes and/or Thorne I think they're both just decent Championship midfielders. Not the best in the league. Both good when they have quality around them. Similar to someone like Darren Fletcher at United, Milner for Man City. More Hendrick than Bryson tbh.

Further cover for any forwards can be covered by loans.

Not saying that we have a problem in midfield. Not at all. Just that it's a bit short on options. But that midfield could work for us for the rest of the season. Options are a rare luxury.

Yet they were on the bench in our last league game.

That's such a ridiculous example to pick out!

Albentosa hadn't got clearance yet

Warnock out with a knock

Ibe had just been recalled

Dawkins was off for personal reasons

Eustace injured

Thorne injured

Coutts out too

That was a culmination of some of the unluckiest circumstances we've had in Macs era, and even then we had Hendrick, Bent and Shotton on the bench, three players who'd get into the majority of sides in the Championship.

That's such a ridiculous example to pick out!

Albentosa hadn't got clearance yet

Warnock out with a knock

Ibe had just been recalled

Dawkins was off for personal reasons

Eustace injured

Thorne injured

Coutts out too

That was a culmination of some of the unluckiest circumstances we've had in Macs era, and even then we had Hendrick, Bent and Shotton on the bench, three players who'd get into the majority of sides in the Championship.

We signed Warnock injured - not bad luck.

Eustace unavailable even if not injured

Thornes injury was known about for a while not unlucky just shows we are light in midfield at the moment

Dawkins being unavailable reducing quality on the bench proves we need a winger because we only have three for two positions.

We signed Warnock injured - not bad luck.

Eustace unavailable even if not injured

Thornes injury was known about for a while not unlucky just shows we are light in midfield at the moment

Dawkins being unavailable reducing quality on the bench proves we need a winger because we only have three for two positions.

Were we supposed to get a winger in, in the 48 hour period we had between Ibe leaving and the Forest game? Why are you even mentioning that too, I highly doubt you'll find anyone on here who doesn't think we need another winger. You also said it yourself, we're light in midfield at the moment, in reality we have the strongest set of CM's in the league, who should all be fit in the coming weeks. Even then, 'light in midfield' for us against Blackburn could be having Hendrick and Coutts as back-up, still a sufficient bench,

So, what you want us to do is spend thousands of pounds, in a league with financial fair play, for the 2.17391304% (genuine figure, just did that sum on my phone's calculator) of games where we're in that situation? Seems drastic.

My god. If we were lets say midtable and looking for a slight improvement on last seasons position

Would we be happy wed signed a player in their mid thirties who was injured

would we be happy with "we could always play an injured LB and push our LB onto the wing"

Would we have been happy with signing a striker who's scored less than Roy Cropper in Coronation street?

Would we be happy with a squad that appears no stronger than last season with the save apparent weakness against teams that press and starve us of space to play.

Were we supposed to get a winger in, in the 48 hour period we had between Ibe leaving and the Forest game? Why are you even mentioning that too, I highly doubt you'll find anyone on here who doesn't think we need another winger. You also said it yourself, we're light in midfield at the moment, in reality we have the strongest set of CM's in the league, who should all be fit in the coming weeks. Even then, 'light in midfield' for us against Blackburn could be having Hendrick and Coutts as back-up, still a sufficient bench,

So, what you want us to do is spend thousands of pounds, in a league with financial fair play, for the 2.17391304% (genuine figure, just did that sum on my phone's calculator) of games where we're in that situation? Seems drastic.

No I don't expect us to get someone in that 48hr period. But the recall clause for Ibe was known about. I doubt very much Liverpool would have rung up on Thursday and said we want him back - there would be dialogue between clubs all season checking on their player.

We haven't been linked at all to a winger - poor planning not to have a target in the pipeline just in case.

Oh and don't use "we have Coutts " the club knew last week he was leaving.

This may seem a strange thing to say but we have added depth to Centre half (already had loads) but list Ibe and Coutts as potential wide men.

We now have Ward, Russell and Dawkins.

Two of these have had injury trouble this season and last. Could hit us hard in the last half of the season

Who did we have wide last season when we were arguably playing better

Do you know what you sound like? Seriously? This is the deepest squad we've had for a long time. If we get a winger in and possibly another CM, we could field two totally different teams and both would be competitive at this level.

Acting like a child demanding everything "now, now now". Still over a week left of the window, plus emergency loan window if we're hit badly later in the season. Why don't you wait and see what happens before you spit your dummy out over this?

I'm sick of reading people criticise and complain when we're seeing the best Derby team in a good few years right in front of our eyes. Hear all sorts of crap on here, on other Derby forums, on the Radio Derby moan-in, and then I get to the ground and in the South Stand I hear noise being made, but it's not supporting the team, it's whinging about this, that and the other. You've got no idea how good we have it here at Derby. Enjoy it while it's here for the love of god...

Archived