Points per game for each starter

djb19538

Thought this was interesting. It shows the points per game we get in the games started by each player. Most are obviously going to be around the 1.85 points per game we have earned overall, but some of the extremes are interesting. Perhaps not surprising our form dropped on Saturday with the top two points getters out (and the 4th off at half time) and two of the bottom three coming in!

Ibe 2.23 Eustace 2.15 Shotton 2.09 Hughes 2.00 Butland 2.00 Hendrick 1.94 Christie 1.88 Forsyth 1.85 Martin 1.85 Russell 1.83 Whitbread 1.83 Grant 1.80 Keogh 1.80 Ward 1.73 Buxton 1.64 Mascarell 1.60 Bryson 1.50 Dawkins 1.50

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this just league games or does it include the cup?

I was surprised by Shotton too, but then he hasn't started that many matches has he? That's the problem with these sort of stats. If you're a regular starter, your score tends to get dragged down by the fact you play in more games - i think there is a statistics term for it, but I can't remember what it is.

I was surprised by Shotton too, but then he hasn't started that many matches has he? That's the problem with these sort of stats. If you're a regular starter, your score tends to get dragged down by the fact you play in more games - i think there is a statistics term for it, but I can't remember what it is.

As the set of league games a player has played approaches the set of all games we've played, their points per game will approach 1.85, Basically, as players play more games, their "impact" (that is, the points per game difference from the main team) will tend to zero. I've tried these kinds of analyses before, but ultimately they only work for players who have played about half the game, and require a lot of calibration to get anything out of. At that point, people will question the methods too much for them to make any kind of convincing argument, and they have the potential to come up with odd results (Jay Mac was the best defender by points per game under Nigel's reign if I recall).

That said, they can offer some insight when you take them in the context of what they are.

League games only.

It's true that if you play a lot of games you are guaranteed to be in the middle. So it can't tell us anything about someone like Chris Martin. But there may be some value for players who are frequent starters but not all the time - for example the likes of Hughes and Bryson.

But of course like any numbers they can only tell you so much - it would be very concerning if Steve McClaren was basing his selections on this method!

how many points do we get for a cup win nowadays?

how many points do we get for a cup win nowadays?

Yeah OK :p

I was trying to remember the games that Shotton started, and remembered he started the first two League Cup games - which we obvously won, and wondered if that was skewing his score. Bit early in the morning for me I'm afraid..

Thought this was interesting. It shows the points per game we get in the games started by each player. Most are obviously going to be around the 1.85 points per game we have earned overall, but some of the extremes are interesting. Perhaps not surprising our form dropped on Saturday with the top two points getters out (and the 4th off at half time) and two of the bottom three coming in!

Ibe 2.23 Eustace 2.15 Shotton 2.09 Hughes 2.00 Butland 2.00 Hendrick 1.94 Christie 1.88 Forsyth 1.85 Martin 1.85 Russell 1.83 Whitbread 1.83 Grant 1.80 Keogh 1.80 Ward 1.73 Buxton 1.64 Mascarell 1.60 Bryson 1.50 Dawkins 1.50

Nevermind, read it wrong.

Archived