Most expensive signings since PL relegation

condor

Croft - Big wages, big mistake

Maguire - Made back what he cost

Porter - Unlucky with injuries, looked a good player before them

Tyson - Bad signing, but oh well

D Martin - Seemed to make most of his small fee back

Robinson - Was free, went for a fee, banged in 20 goals over ~2 seasons, solid return all around

Cywka - Came for free, left for free. He looked promising at one point

B Davies - Wasn't that expensive and certainly did a job.

Fielding - Was very good at first, tailed off, got much of the money back if the media are to be believed

Jacobs - Made much of his fee back

O'connor - Odd signing, but cheap, not great overall

When you consider that's our "bad" list, it's not that bad. Especially when I'd argue strongly that Porter, Robinson, B Davies and Fielding shouldn't be on it, and the only ones which were a real concern were Croft, Tyson and O'Connor.

I agree pretty much word-for-word with that - just one thing - where did Croft being on big wages come from?  I've never heard that before!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree pretty much word-for-word with that - just one thing - where did Croft being on big wages come from?  I've never heard that before!

It's a reasonable assumption - he was a free transfer, having been player of the season at a high profile championship club the previous season (Norwich).  He probably wasn't on crazy crazy wages, but I'd expect him to have been in the same ball park as the likes of Tyson.

No secret NC fan but his purchases with the exclusion of the fish were excellent. He should have remained a chief scout as he can spot a gem (bryso, russell, grant, martin, eustace, forsyth. Total spend on these was 1.3M)

This post - garbage cos you are excluding the turkeys!

We also don't want him anywhere near the club now - he's gone ! Forget him!

Norwich player of the season, signed on a free transfer, it was rumoured we beat out the competition with higher wages.

Croft - Big wages, big mistake

Maguire - Made back what he cost

Porter - Unlucky with injuries, looked a good player before them

Tyson - Bad signing, but oh well

D Martin - Seemed to make most of his small fee back

Robinson - Was free, went for a fee, banged in 20 goals over ~2 seasons, solid return all around

Cywka - Came for free, left for free. He looked promising at one point

B Davies - Wasn't that expensive and certainly did a job.

Fielding - Was very good at first, tailed off, got much of the money back if the media are to be believed

Jacobs - Made much of his fee back

O'connor - Odd signing, but cheap, not great overall

When you consider that's our "bad" list, it's not that bad. Especially when I'd argue strongly that Porter, Robinson, B Davies and Fielding shouldn't be on it, and the only ones which were a real concern were Croft, Tyson and O'Connor.

Some shocking signings given they didn't get any game time. Martin, tyson amd jacobs probably didnt get 100 games between them. Dream on if you think we got our money back.

Some shocking signings given they didn't get any game time. Martin, tyson amd jacobs probably didnt get 100 games between them. Dream on if you think we got our money back.

For a squad of 23 players in a 46 game season you expect each player to have an expected number of appearances of around 28 a season. Once you take into account a "preferred XI" playing even only 50% of games, this means that any players outside it only have an expected number of appearances around 17.

Say you sign a number of players who aren't immediately expected to be first teamers, then you'd only expect them to amass around that 17 a season mark on average. Say they only remain for 2 seasons before leaving, maybe even less, then 3 outside the first team could well only amass ~100 without being considered a failure. Not every signing is going to become a superstar.

As for Tyson, Jacobs and Martin, this actually comes out in favourable terms against simply checking the numbers against "realistic expectations" for players.

Jacobs: Was at the club for a season and a bit (left in November of his second season), yet amassed 42 appearances. This suggests he actually figured quite a lot considering he was never fully "in" the first team

Tyson: Got injured, it happens. Still managed to get 39 appearances for us. When you consider he was only fit enough to muster one appearance prior to boxing day of his first season with us, only to get injured again and fail to appear again until the end of January. It was always going to be hard for him with such injury worries and ultimately going to be hard to break into a team that needed to deal without him for so long

D Martin: Never got this signing. He was cheap though, and we supposedly recouped the fee. Just such an odd signing

For a squad of 23 players in a 46 game season you expect each player to have an expected number of appearances of around 28 a season. Once you take into account a "preferred XI" playing even only 50% of games, this means that any players outside it only have an expected number of appearances around 17.Say you sign a number of players who aren't immediately expected to be first teamers, then you'd only expect them to amass around that 17 a season mark on average. Say they only remain for 2 seasons before leaving, maybe even less, then 3 outside the first team could well only amass ~100 without being considered a failure. Not every signing is going to become a superstar.As for Tyson, Jacobs and Martin, this actually comes out in favourable terms against simply checking the numbers against "realistic expectations" for players.Jacobs: Was at the club for a season and a bit (left in November of his second season), yet amassed 42 appearances. This suggests he actually figured quite a lot considering he was never fully "in" the first teamTyson: Got injured, it happens. Still managed to get 39 appearances for us. When you consider he was only fit enough to muster one appearance prior to boxing day of his first season with us, only to get injured again and fail to appear again until the end of January. It was always going to be hard for him with such injury worries and ultimately going to be hard to break into a team that needed to deal without him for so longD Martin: Never got this signing. He was cheap though, and we supposedly recouped the fee. Just such an odd signing

You can put as many stats down as you want, thankfully no graphs, however it stands that they were awful signings.

Jacobs only started 13 games, Tyson only 17 starts, and given his injury record at the red dogs, are you saying it was a surprise?

These three players had a considerable amount of the transfer and wages budget spent on them, to say they were not expected to be regular first teamers is clutching at straws.

Can some clever person do this please? I remember thinking then wow - same with Nish - but I suspect that even though it seemed a huge sum on a footballer back then, in real terms back then players were mightily cheap. The world has gone mad - I bet these sums inflated up are peanuts compared to fees paid recently for average players like Luke Shaw, or going back a few years Rio Ferdinand.

Croft - Big wages, big mistakeMaguire - Made back what he costPorter - Unlucky with injuries, looked a good player before themTyson - Bad signing, but oh wellD Martin - Seemed to make most of his small fee backRobinson - Was free, went for a fee, banged in 20 goals over ~2 seasons, solid return all aroundCywka - Came for free, left for free. He looked promising at one pointB Davies - Wasn't that expensive and certainly did a job.Fielding - Was very good at first, tailed off, got much of the money back if the media are to be believedJacobs - Made much of his fee backO'connor - Odd signing, but cheap, not great overallWhen you consider that's our "bad" list, it's not that bad. Especially when I'd argue strongly that Porter, Robinson, B Davies and Fielding shouldn't be on it, and the only ones which were a real concern were Croft, Tyson and O'Connor.

Especially consider our budget roughly equated to eating out at McDonalds for a week.

You can put as many stats down as you want, thankfully no graphs, however it stands that they were awful signings.

Jacobs only started 13 games, Tyson only 17 starts, and given his injury record at the red dogs, are you saying it was a surprise?

These three players had a considerable amount of the transfer and wages budget spent on them, to say they were not expected to be regular first teamers is clutching at straws.

Tyson had averaged over 30 appearances for 4 seasons. There was no reason to believed he'd pretty much miss until the end of January of his first season with us.

I am honestly stunned by the picture you're trying to paint about Jacobs. By your definitions any signing ever made that is not for the first team is a bad one. That would include many that Steve have made.

Speaking of considerable transfer budget spent on them though. Tyson was a free, but supposedly pretty sizable wages (though it seems it's generally blown out of proportion by whinging Forest fans). David Martin had a net cost of pretty much nothing, rumoured

Tyson had averaged over 30 appearances for 4 seasons. There was no reason to believed he'd pretty much miss until the end of January of his first season with us.

I am honestly stunned by the picture you're trying to paint about Jacobs. By your definitions any signing ever made that is not for the first team is a bad one. That would include many that Steve have made.

Speaking of considerable transfer budget spent on them though. Tyson was a free, but supposedly pretty sizable wages (though it seems it's generally blown out of proportion by whinging Forest fans). David Martin had a net cost of pretty much nothing, rumoured

Archived