Most expensive signings since PL relegation

condor

Im not sure what you are trying to say albert? Im not saying these are the worst signings made by the club. What I'm saying is that these were very poor signings.

Does not matter if they were 1 pound fifty or 150 grand, at the end of the day they didn't play anywhere near enough games that would change my opinion on what they contributed to the club.

Are you trying to say tyson want known for his injury record before he joined us... Really? Serious ?

Martin a winger brought in, who didn't fit into the system we played ?

Maguire who apparently controlled the ball with the wrong part of his foot for our coaching team.

And jacobs, who for some reason never got a run of games.

As for considerable size of transfer budget, was the other players you mentioned part of that budget? I don't think so, and therefore don't understand the point of mentioning these players.

Enjoy the game today :-)

Tyson's injury record wasn't great, but he was never a crock. He was more a Kris Commons type from what I can tell, who would have many, short term injuries. Injuries happen, but a 6 month lay off wasn't expected. Are you saying the club made a mistake signing Thorne?

Martin is an odd one, I think he was signed as backup for a position we dropped, but overall he was a poor signing.

Not sure what happened with Maguire, but ultimately we recouped most of our money and moved on. It happens sometimes, and we had better players that season anyhow.

They were not very poor signings though. There was nothing wrong with the Jacobs signing, he was cheap, highly rated, and we beat out Premier League interest to sign him. He managed about 40+ appearances, and left for a fee to Wolves. No part of that is "very poor". It might be a bit disappointing that he didn't improve and push on, but that doesn't make it a very poor signing, as that would define the vast majority of signings within football as very poor. If you were instead arguing "mediocre", that would be about the case.

You're now stating that pretty much all signings have to come in and be consistent first teamers to justify their signing, when professional clubs don't operate like that. Even now we're bringing in the likes of Alefe, Calero, Ssewankambo and so forth who may never play a game, are you going to define them all as "very poor"?

This is the thing, you seem to suggest that every signing must be perfect, play 40+ games a season and be a first teamer, when in reality this doesn't make sense with either reality or basic logical deduction. If we were to apply the same rules you're applying to the Clough era to the McClaren one, you'd judge him to have been poor on the transfer market.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tyson's injury record wasn't great, but he was never a crock. He was more a Kris Commons type from what I can tell, who would have many, short term injuries. Injuries happen, but a 6 month lay off wasn't expected. Are you saying the club made a mistake signing Thorne?

Martin is an odd one, I think he was signed as backup for a position we dropped, but overall he was a poor signing.

Not sure what happened with Maguire, but ultimately we recouped most of our money and moved on. It happens sometimes, and we had better players that season anyhow.

They were not very poor signings though. There was nothing wrong with the Jacobs signing, he was cheap, highly rated, and we beat out Premier League interest to sign him. He managed about 40+ appearances, and left for a fee to Wolves. No part of that is "very poor". It might be a bit disappointing that he didn't improve and push on, but that doesn't make it a very poor signing, as that would define the vast majority of signings within football as very poor. If you were instead arguing "mediocre", that would be about the case.

You're now stating that pretty much all signings have to come in and be consistent first teamers to justify their signing, when professional clubs don't operate like that. Even now we're bringing in the likes of Alefe, Calero, Ssewankambo and so forth who may never play a game, are you going to define them all as "very poor"?

This is the thing, you seem to suggest that every signing must be perfect, play 40+ games a season and be a first teamer, when in reality this doesn't make sense with either reality or basic logical deduction. If we were to apply the same rules you're applying to the Clough era to the McClaren one, you'd judge him to have been poor on the transfer market.

No i have judged the players mentioned on impact based upon their time at derby, and what job they were brought in to do.

Should the players you mention brought in under McClaren at the end of their tenure move on without making an impact on the first team squad or for a sizeable fee then yes i would question the signing.

If the objective is to find one or 2 gems, then the rest would still fall under the poor signing category.

I'm not saying with the budget Clough had that every signing was going to work, or overall he didn't sign more good than bad, but these players had no impact at the club that imo would indicate anything but a poor signing.

No i have judged the players mentioned on impact based upon their time at derby, and what job they were brought in to do.

Should the players you mention brought in under McClaren at the end of their tenure move on without making an impact on the first team squad or for a sizeable fee then yes i would question the signing.

If the objective is to find one or 2 gems, then the rest would still fall under the poor signing category.

I'm not saying with the budget Clough had that every signing was going to work, or overall he didn't sign more good than bad, but these players had no impact at the club that imo would indicate anything but a poor signing.

Leon Best - Already gone, what do you think of his signing? Rumoured big wages too

Zak Whitbread - Not played much has he

Kalifa Cisse - Come and gone

Lee Naylor - Backup, not going anywhere

Are you suggesting that you can't judge any of those signings yet? Personally I get the point of them, and the only real failure out of them was Best, but by your definitions we'd have to label them all "very poor".

Leon Best - Already gone, what do you think of his signing? Rumoured big wages tooZak Whitbread - Not played much has heKalifa Cisse - Come and goneLee Naylor - Backup, not going anywhereAre you suggesting that you can't judge any of those signings yet? Personally I get the point of them, and the only real failure out of them was Best, but by your definitions we'd have to label them all "very poor".

Best poor, whitbread based on his time to date also poor. Naylor, strange one for me, not sure what he was brought in for so I'll refrain from comment. Cisse? He was on a non contract basis ?

Best poor, whitbread based on his time to date also poor. Naylor, strange one for me, not sure what he was brought in for so I'll refrain from comment. Cisse? He was on a non contract basis ?

You've already stated that quite clearly that the cost of players has nothing to do with anything. Cisse being non-contract or not doesn't change anything by your rules.

So essentially, what you're saying is that we should only have 11 players, plus enough to come off the bench, and the rest should be called in just for match day to make up the numbers. How's 50 years ago treating you?

You've already stated that quite clearly that the cost of players has nothing to do with anything. Cisse being non-contract or not doesn't change anything by your rules.

So essentially, what you're saying is that we should only have 11 players, plus enough to come off the bench, and the rest should be called in just for match day to make up the numbers. How's 50 years ago treating you?

No cisse was on a non-contract basis to prove he qas good enough, as he wasnt given a contract how can he be classed as a signing?

You think martin, Maguire, tyson and jacobs had some sort of impact at the club, i don't and therefore were poor signings for me.

I suppose you think players like ravenlli and grenet (excuse the spelling) werent poor signings as well ? Mikel beck must be a world class signing given he played double the games off Maguire.

Anyway ill sign off with a quote from one of the above

Archived